• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Gets 5th Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, actually in the modern times, too fast of a pacing is what ruins anime most of the time.

ErikaD.D wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
Wasn't this announced a few days ago? Maybe I saw it on Twitter or something. Thought it was here. Either way, hopefully it won't be as slow paced and dull as 4 was. Hopefully episode 25 of s4 will at least have a good fight.

Do you read MHA manga? If not, I can't spoiled of what's going to happen in season 5 but I'll will tell you one hint. If MHA season 5 air second cour I think, spoiler[ there will be "My Villain Academia" arc and it will be more darker than Overhaul Arc.]

I'm hiding spoilers because not all MHA watchers are reading manga.

I wish they amke it to the best arc too, but considering the pacing I think they won't have enough time, was not this season basically purely the overhaul arc?
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Alejandro Saab had the best tweet about this announcement:

https://twitter.com/KaggyFilms/status/1245749994050600964
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:17 pm Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

but considering the pacing I think they won't have enough time, was not this season basically purely the overhaul arc?[/quote]

No? The latter half of the season was the School Festival arc, with the last 2 episodes covering most of the Pro Hero arc, ending at chapter 190. With spoiler[My Villain Academia] starting at chapter 218, even if they want a (frankly glacial) pace of 2 chapters per episode for the next arc, that would leave an entire cour for the next.
dragon695

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I hope season 5 is better because season 4 was disappointing. And before anyone starts getting the wrong idea, I did not find season 4 disappointing because it did not have enough action or too much slice of life. My Hero Academia is in my opinion the best shounen action show ever made (based on the first 3 anime seasons), and it is a shame to have a weak-ish season.

Really? Why? I love it, but I can think of a few battle shounen that are better: OP, HxH, FMA, and OPM off the top of my mind. Deku and Bakugou are good shounen protagonists, but don’t quite feel on the same level as the best battle shounen has to offer. The world of MHA is a bit bland and underdeveloped. I like the power system, but while creative, tends to fall back into the tired power rankings trope a few too many times. Also, to be the best, imo, is to not have any weak seasons.

Now don’t get me wrong, I would definitely rank it up there. I get that it is a love letter to American comics, but it doesn’t feel like it takes the ball and run. There are too many instances of playing it safe to make it the best.
AnimeDuelist15

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:09 pm Reply with quote
They should have just made this a continuing series like Black Clover instead of breaking it into parts.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:18 pm Reply with quote
AnimeDuelist15 wrote:
They should have just made this a continuing series like Black Clover instead of breaking it into parts.

Have you actually seen Black Clover? The continuous weekly schedule makes it look, move, & paced like shit for the most part. Same with One Peace.

No show should suffer the Hell of an endless weekly schedule.
matt78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
Have you actually seen Black Clover? The continuous weekly schedule makes it look, move, & paced like shit for the most part. Same with One Peace.

No show should suffer the Hell of an endless weekly schedule.

I agree with this. I would add Bleach and Naruto to your list as well.

I wish they did things like this years ago. I'm sure we all have a favorite show or shows that got either an incomplete run or an anime original ending that might have turned out better if it was broken up into seasons. For me I would have loved for them to have tried this with Negima instead of two incomplete anime they did make. Soul Eater is another one although I am still hopeful for a Brotherhood style reboot for that one. Even if it is a long shot anymore.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:38 am Reply with quote
The points for the first 4 sentences here factor in that CoVID-2019 and its pandemic never happened: The first 3 MHA seasons debuted in April of their respective years (2016, 2017, and 2018). Had that trend continued, Season 4 would have been last April and the 5th would have been this month. Alternatively, since Season 4 aired from Oct. 2019 to early April. 2020, it would have been possible that Season 5 would have debuted this Oct. and go through late March-early April 2021. However, since with the pandemic delaying so many premieres and/or leading to the cancellation of so many events (anime and non-anime-related), I would not be surprised if it was Jan. or April of 2021 at the earliest that Season 5 starts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2