• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Orders Terminator Anime Series by Production I.G

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:12 am Reply with quote
A Terminator anime should have an artstyle and feel akin to the shows and OVAs from the 80s, something like Fist of the North Star in terms of character desing. I remember that there was a pitch made by George Miller for a Mad Max anime which eventually became Fury Road, Escapte From New York also almost had an anime too, but I never expected a Terminator anime, though some anime made references to the series from time to time, so it has a bit of a presence. If the T-800 appears I hope it's voiced by Tessho Genda in japanese as usual.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:48 am Reply with quote
If I was a betting man, the Terminator Anime will probably look a lot like Ghost in the Shell: SAC_2045.

Now I wasn't necessarily turn off by CG (good or bad, sadly this is the future of anime I guess), and I was able to get use to the style after a while. I even enjoy the show.

So if the Terminator series is made, will at least give it a shot.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I miss when it was just two simple,but great action films. Not the convoluted nonsense of a franchise. I don't get why they keep trying make stuff with the property, considering the last two films were bombs,on top of the supreme lack of creativity.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Here's a question I've gotta ask. Why is Production I.G. doing this? Why do they think that the world needs a "Terminator" anime? In some ways,I might see it to introduce a new generation to this but really,it isn't necessary. I'm not among those people who see the need for this.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Here's the question I've got ask. Why is Production I.G. doing this? Why do they think that the world needs a "Terminator" anime? In some ways,I might see it to introduce a new generation to this but really,it isn't necessary. I'm not among those people who see the need for this.

The same reason Legendary apparently wants to make a Buck Rogers anime to tie in with a new movie project. It’s a new avenue for the franchise.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:22 am Reply with quote
The best homage to Terminator in anime is the Trunks saga in DBZ!
But, hey, if the Production IG execs are fans, this must be a dream gig. I’m not worried for Netflix; they’ve chosen to throw money at stranger concepts. A Terminator anime can’t be worse than a live action anime/cartoon adaptation. And if it is? No one has to watch it! That’s the beauty of a streaming investment bubble!
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:00 am Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
Here's a question I've gotta ask. Why is Production I.G. doing this? Why do they think that the world needs a "Terminator" anime? In some ways,I might see it to introduce a new generation to this but really,it isn't necessary. I'm not among those people who see the need for this.

Production I.G. is doing this because it's a job. They're an animation studio, they're doing animations.

Also, as I mentioned previously - the point with this, and the Pacific Rim anime, and the Transformers anime, and whatever else anime based on Western franchises that I'm sure will get announced later, is for Netflix to diversify its offerings and drive viewers to watch more stuff on their platform. The target is not anime fans, or even the Japanese audience. It's people who don't watch much anime, or at all, but are familiar with these franchises, and are interested in them enough to check out new iterations even if they're animated. Bill Casual may not be interested in the spider isekai or Horimiya or Jujutsu Kaisen, but he'll click on "Terminator: The Animation" or "Pacific Rim: The Anime". And they're going with anime because anime is "in" right now, and it still has the reputation of being "edgy" and "mature" as opposed to mainstream western animations.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:10 am Reply with quote
Anime is also less expensive to make than a live-action series of Terminator
TemplateR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:26 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Well it could be also expensive, when it is completely in CGI like "Gantz:O" or "Lupin III: The First", but it depends of the Art-Style.

As for the Anime-Series of Terminator from Production I.G.:

I´m interessted in that, but not hyped. Because it depends how it looks and what story will it have. It could be great, but it could also be crap.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

And considering how well the last 2 movies have done in theaters they might not want to spend that sort of money again.

This seems likes some last ditch effort to try and garner interest for this franchise. Enough to be profitable anyways. They've continued to keep making movies in this franchise, but they keep missing the mark. I think they would be best served to somehow set this AFTER skynet has declared war. Whether it's many years into the war, or right at the start. That sort of setting would be the best course of action. Otherwise it's just a series of the same things we've seen. Machines coming back to kill John as a kid, or his mom. We even had a tv series for that. Just stop. The well is dry on that front. While it wasn't great, the Salvation movie at least offered us something new with it being set in the future after the war was started.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 8:24 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
That's assuming that the target audience here is Japanese viewers... I think with this and other western properties the main target is North American casual anime watchers, and those who who may not watch much anime (or at all), but are interested in these franchises enough to watch anime adaptations. As for Japan, these shows get next to zero promotion in Japan. Shows like B the Beginning, Aico, Dragon's Dogma, Levius, even Devilman Crybaby barely had any coverage in Japanese anime-focused media - in some cases none at all.

Anime fans, of any stripe, are just the gravy (we're a very small, all but fringe, demographic) - the steak is converting Netflix viewers in general into fans of Netflix "Anime". Co-opting the term (one not without marketing value) and remolding it into their own corporate image.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2