• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sakura Wars' Smartphone Game Ends Service on June 30

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I do wonder though, are people still just playing the same old warhorses (Fate/Grand Order, Granblue Fantasy, etc.), to the exclusion of anything new, or are mobage burning out generally?

For every FGO/Granblue there are about 10 unsuccessful ones. The latest new popular mobage is Uma Musume, which has been topping charts everywhere since it's release late February. There are successful ones, but most of them aren't really successful.

In Sakura Kakumei's case, it's been crashing and burning from the release day despite it's ridiculously high production cost (much higher than your average mobage... Or even console games). DW is just... Not a good dev compared to the likes of Cygames, mihoyo, or yostar who are capable to release multiple successful mobages. Even FGO is mostly popular due to the Fate brand name rather than its gameplay.

DW has various teams that work on different projects. FGO team is completely different from sakura wars' one and it's incorrect to blame them for sakura wars mobage's whole blunder. Over past ~6 years DW done an awesome job with FGO, so I absolutely disagree with statement that they "aren't good devs". SW needed a strong leader like Yosuke Shiokawa (reminder that FGO was on a verge of being killed too, but Shiokawa saved it).
Meongantuk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
dark_bozu wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:
invalidname wrote:

I do wonder though, are people still just playing the same old warhorses (Fate/Grand Order, Granblue Fantasy, etc.), to the exclusion of anything new, or are mobage burning out generally?

For every FGO/Granblue there are about 10 unsuccessful ones. The latest new popular mobage is Uma Musume, which has been topping charts everywhere since it's release late February. There are successful ones, but most of them aren't really successful.

In Sakura Kakumei's case, it's been crashing and burning from the release day despite it's ridiculously high production cost (much higher than your average mobage... Or even console games). DW is just... Not a good dev compared to the likes of Cygames, mihoyo, or yostar who are capable to release multiple successful mobages. Even FGO is mostly popular due to the Fate brand name rather than its gameplay.

DW has various teams that work on different projects. FGO team is completely different from sakura wars' one and it's incorrect to blame them for sakura wars mobage's whole blunder. Over past ~6 years DW done an awesome job with FGO, so I absolutely disagree with statement that they "aren't good devs". SW needed a strong leader like Yosuke Shiokawa (reminder that FGO was on a verge of being killed too, but Shiokawa saved it).

An awesome job of barely listening it's fans feedback. FGO's gameplay was awful by standards from 6 years ago, and there barely (if any) improvement despite fans' request. Not even basic stuff that most modern mobage has like special attack skip, auto battle, quest skip, gacha ceiling/pity. The reason people stay with FGO is the story and strong brand, especially in early days where mobage with good story is a rarity (nowadays most big mobages have at least semi-decent story).

Sakura Kakumei is what FGO is without it's story or strong brand (how's this related to Sakura Wars???). Even without other fiascos and screw ups it probably won't reach a year... The game's just not good enough compared to its other competitors.
dark_bozu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:23 am Reply with quote
Meongantuk wrote:
dark_bozu wrote:
Meongantuk wrote:
invalidname wrote:

An awesome job of barely listening it's fans feedback. FGO's gameplay was awful by standards from 6 years ago, and there barely (if any) improvement despite fans' request. Not even basic stuff that most modern mobage has like special attack skip, auto battle, quest skip, gacha ceiling/pity. The reason people stay with FGO is the story and strong brand, especially in early days where mobage with good story is a rarity (nowadays most big mobages have at least semi-decent story).

Sakura Kakumei is what FGO is without it's story or strong brand (how's this related to Sakura Wars???). Even without other fiascos and screw ups it probably won't reach a year... The game's just not good enough compared to its other competitors.

They explained why they won't introduce a skip mechanics and a lot of fans agreed with this idea (and personally, I respect their firm stance on this matter).
If you want to skip an animations - it's because they suck. If you want an auto battle, it's because gameplay/combat sucks and you can't care enough to play it. What's the point of playing a game like this? To kill your time? Find something better for this. Instead of making people want to skip battles or animations/NP, DW improves them, skills/sprites of old servants, even bronze, so people would enjoy battles more, even if they don't have new servants.
Also, regarding "basic stuff that most modern mobage has" - I don't think it's wrong to keep your identity when it comes to game design. Unlike a lot of mobage, fgo doesn't has "flash sale" bs or "battle pass" scams and quite honest regarding gacha. Whenever DW think about how to improve their game/experience, they think about a F2P approach, not "just make players pay for crate with EXP and mats" and I always respected and respect it.
The only thing, outside of further improving game's quality, I want from FGO: safety net. Yeah, it's sad there's no one, but I'm glad at least the rate up % is actually a good one, compare to most mobage. In the end, all those gacha games are shit that try to manipulate you into spending, with different approaches.

So, I think DW teams under a strong leaders can do a great job (well, FGO team was able to do it - a TM or brand name were not enough, according to old interviews: a game changer was Shiokawa's leadership that helped to improve game and made it fun/interesting to play and without Shiokawa FGO could've ended service back in 2015, maybe early 2016). Sadly Sakura Wars didn't had one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2