• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll Market Research: Only 6% of Gen Z Don't Know What Anime Is

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:57 am Reply with quote
I can't speak for I Am a Hero but seeing Itazura na Kiss featured is disappointing. While the original couple dynamic is very "old school," that could always be adjusted in the adaptation. I just think choosing it is very "safe" given it's already been adapted a kajillion times in multiple countries. I'd put it somewhere close to HanaKimi on that scale.

The premise is incredibly basic; "having to shack up with my crush due to circumstances outside my control" used to be a very common shojo manga thing. See also Marmalade Boy, Good Morning Call, etc.

Last we heard ItaKiss was already getting a new anime adaptation back in 2016 (this never came out, if it's still in production). But as far as live-action adaptations, there's been multiple in Japan as well as in Taiwan, South Korea, Thailand, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
Madster wrote:
Fena: Pirate Princess looks to be one of their better Originals, but I think that's because Adult Swim is attached to it

Adult Swim throughout it's existence has put out original works of dubious quality. Their name being attached to the product isn't a sign that this work will automatically be good.

HueyLion wrote:
6%? That's low but I find it massively hard to believe that 6% have never seen Pokemon, Digimon, Yu-gi-oh or even Dragon Ball...

Don't know why not everyone engages with popular or semi popular things.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:12 am Reply with quote
Why are the last 2 comments talking about unrelated topics, did they post them on the wrong forum.
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
What I'm most curious about is whether Crunchyroll and Netflix's staff are in that 27% for genuinely believing that Chinese and American productions are widely thought of as counting as anime, or outside of it but trying to make the rest of the population think that they do. (I like many animated works from countries other than Japan; it's because I do that I find it reductive that these companies feel the only way to get them attention is to redefine the English meaning of anime to include them. And because I lived through the 2000s and TOKYOPOP, in particular, trying to do this with the word manga, I'm convinced it's not going to end well this time, either.) Confused

Considering the high percentages that "know what anime is" I'm guesstimating that this was really a multiple choice yes/no question, and answering "yes" counted as knowing what it is. If it was conduced through speech, some people might have answered "yes; it's Japanese animation/cartoons". Maybe as vague as "Asian animation". I can't imagine anyone not on the payroll of a VOD service to answer that it is "a genre of animation with distinctive characteristics separating it from other animation, which originated in Japan but which is now also produced in other countries," so I don't think the 94% can be people who know what it is according to Crunchyroll's definition.

Asking if people had seen or liked any "Japanese animation" or "anime" would be far more indicate of Crunchyroll's market and, especially if the former term was used, would have got more consistent responses across age groups. But that wouldn't have got the result they wanted, which is to show a high contrast between age groups and a very high potential market among people entering the working population, which will suggest that the company is going to become more profitable in the long term, not less. There are surveys done to genuinely find out information, and then there ones like these that are conduced by first deciding on the result that's wanted, then choosing the questions that are most likely to produce it.

Kirki wrote:
Who. Who in their right mind thought these titles would be a good idea.

I expect it's people that observed, "Wow, live-action adaptations of comics with zombies in a realistic contemporary setting are popular right now. Here's such a comic which has already been adapted into live-action in one country, so could be in others, too," in the case of I Am a Hero, and in the case of Itazura na Kiss that it's been adapted for the screen in Japan three times and in three other countries, but that's not as many times as Boys over Flowers so it needs to step up its game.

It doesn't matter much what the actual story and visual content of the original comics is, as that can always be completely changed in the adaptation. The important thing for attracting investment is being at least ostensibly part of an already established franchise.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2