• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Eureka: Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Sad what they did with these movies. E7 is one of my fav anime and it ended beautifully it honestly didn’t need all the continuations.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:10 am Reply with quote
Eureka Seven is a metaseries with one epic initial TV series and then a mess of more or less terrible manga, TV, and movie reimaginings and pseudo-sequels.

I guess that's what happens when you catch lightning in a bottle and want to squeeze every last dollar out of the property.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
This is selling the series so short it's not even funny. Their relationship starts out with Renton being completely infatuated by the mysterious beautiful girl who literally falls into his life (and crushes his house). Eureka is a cipher who barely acknowledges Renton's existence until she realizes he's able to unlock Nirvash's potential, and after that she only treats him as a means to that end at first. It's only as time passes that Renton starts to understand what it means to truly care about someone, and for her part Eureka has to come to terms with her burgeoning feelings, which comes to a head with what goes on with her about a quarter of the way through the series. Renton responds poorly in kind, and through a series of events both start to realize their mutual love, which culminates in what I'd easily label one of the greatest single anime episodes at the halfway point...and even then, that only gets them to the start of what one could call a true relationship! They both continue to grow from there, experience ups and downs, get upset with each other, make up, sacrifice for each other, and in the end prove that sometimes, love truly does conquer all. It's a beautiful evolution of a relationship from the most unassuming beginnings, and it still remains one of the best-realized love stories I've come across in any genre or medium.
Well I didn't recap their wholes story because I'm not recapping an entire 50 episode story when you've already seen it. After all that's what you did, and you've just glamorised what should be the bare minimum for a central love plot. No really, falling in love, having ups and downs in the relationship and having a pay off is the basic structure to a romance plot. And as I said already, a bigger issue is what this is a product of, rather than how well it was done.

Take Gurren Lagann, the central love story between Simon and Nia roughly follows the standard template that E7 does, however that is not the central plot line and they don't meet until 1/3 of the way into the show that is half the episode count. E7 may indeed handle the central couple slightly better, but Gurren Lagann accomplishes more per episode. And that's a kind comparison, in contrast RahXephon handles the relationship between Ayato and Haruka far better and keeps you guessing until the end.

Are you really telling me that the amount of time and effort E7 puts into the romance between Renton and Eureka is justified by the results. Given that we know they will be together at the end of the show and each dump in the road will be resolved "Oh Eureka put on too much makeup, will Renton misunderstand and hurt her feelings by accident? will they make up by the end of the episode?", it's just a prolonged conclusion that pads itself out tot he detriment of the show.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 1:35 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
This is selling the series so short it's not even funny. Their relationship starts out with Renton being completely infatuated by the mysterious beautiful girl who literally falls into his life (and crushes his house). Eureka is a cipher who barely acknowledges Renton's existence until she realizes he's able to unlock Nirvash's potential, and after that she only treats him as a means to that end at first. It's only as time passes that Renton starts to understand what it means to truly care about someone, and for her part Eureka has to come to terms with her burgeoning feelings, which comes to a head with what goes on with her about a quarter of the way through the series. Renton responds poorly in kind, and through a series of events both start to realize their mutual love, which culminates in what I'd easily label one of the greatest single anime episodes at the halfway point...and even then, that only gets them to the start of what one could call a true relationship! They both continue to grow from there, experience ups and downs, get upset with each other, make up, sacrifice for each other, and in the end prove that sometimes, love truly does conquer all. It's a beautiful evolution of a relationship from the most unassuming beginnings, and it still remains one of the best-realized love stories I've come across in any genre or medium.
Well I didn't recap their wholes story because I'm not recapping an entire 50 episode story when you've already seen it. After all that's what you did, and you've just glamorised what should be the bare minimum for a central love plot. No really, falling in love, having ups and downs in the relationship and having a pay off is the basic structure to a romance plot. And as I said already, a bigger issue is what this is a product of, rather than how well it was done.

Take Gurren Lagann, the central love story between Simon and Nia roughly follows the standard template that E7 does, however that is not the central plot line and they don't meet until 1/3 of the way into the show that is half the episode count. E7 may indeed handle the central couple slightly better, but Gurren Lagann accomplishes more per episode. And that's a kind comparison, in contrast RahXephon handles the relationship between Ayato and Haruka far better and keeps you guessing until the end.

Are you really telling me that the amount of time and effort E7 puts into the romance between Renton and Eureka is justified by the results. Given that we know they will be together at the end of the show and each dump in the road will be resolved "Oh Eureka put on too much makeup, will Renton misunderstand and hurt her feelings by accident? will they make up by the end of the episode?", it's just a prolonged conclusion that pads itself out tot he detriment of the show.

I don't think it's a matter of handling it better but just different execution and purpose towards the same result rather than needing to handle it the same way another series did. I would say it was totally justified myself.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Anyway ... the writing in the original E7 anime is amazing, and it's like the creators were lobotomized before everything that came afterwards (was it even the same people involved? I'm not sure).
Matros

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Eureka: Eureka Seven: Hi - Evolution left me feeling confused wondering who this movie is for exactly.

For people who love 2D mecha action animation. Because y'all ain't getting any of it anytime soon anymore, if at all. Mecha animation is moving away from 2D and this movie was basically the last hurrah. Getting a team together like this one will be an impossible task in the future.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:

For people who love 2D mecha action animation. Because y'all ain't getting any of it anytime soon anymore, if at all. Mecha animation is moving away from 2D and this movie was basically the last hurrah. Getting a team together like this one will be an impossible task in the future.

I love 2D mecha animation, but no amount of it is worth dragging a great property through a dumpster.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:05 am Reply with quote
It feels like there's been a lot of "swan songs" for 2D robot anime over the years, but somehow they still pop up every so often. I don't think it helps that the non-Gundam ones haven't been hugely successful, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2