• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2021

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Cam0 wrote:
Attack on Titan isn't in the mega poll. I'm guessing that's not an oversight since it technically started airing in 2020 (and it was in the 2020 mega poll if I remember correctly) though I'd consider it more of a winter 2021 anime. Shame, I would have voted for it (and also would have voted for Jujutsu Kaisen's 2nd half).

Yeah, it was included in last year's poll and subsequently won for the year. If I remember right, people weren't too thrilled that a series that only had a few episodes out beat out everything for the year...

I remember. I really wasn’t thrilled that a show I’m not at all interested in that only had a few eps out overshadowed Fruits Basket S2, Villainess S1 and Healin’ Good Pretty Cure, which was already criminally overlooked.

As I’ve said a thousand times already Pretty Cure as a whole needs a lot more love and recognition. It’s just…special.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I really don't know how to feel about Mushoku Tensei. While the early perverted humor was too uncomfortable at the same time, it felt like the writing is pretty good due to how they handle Rudeus' past and new life. The visuals were also top quality that reminded me of how nicely animated was Violet Evergarden.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Attack on Titan: The Final Season started last December so the best show to air in 2021 missed the list on a technicality. 9/10 Now to judge over the less than exciting anime year of 2021.

1) Blue Period It was rushed AF but still well directed. Hope to see more adapted. 8/10
2) Star Wars: Visions The Animatrix 2.0 and more is clearly in the pipeline. Outside of the novel of course. 8/10
3) Those Snow White Notes See Blue Period. 7.5/10
4) JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean It will get better later, minus a mid-story low, and the anime is almost as rushed to the screen as Part 4 was. I wonder if the Blu-Rays will clean up some of the animation issues and insert missing characters. 7/10
5?) I still have to see Space Battleship Yamato 2205: A New Voyage but it’s probably another 7/10 and I refuse to include a show or film I only gave a decent to in a vote for the "best" of 2021.
The last 2 LA Rurouni Kenshin movies would have lastly topped the list, at least film 5, but those aren´t anime. The Final gets an 8/10 and The Beginning a 9/10. The Beginning was my 2nd favorite film of 2021, right above Dune with The Snyder Cut at the top.

In conclusion: Of all the years I watched anime, 2021 was one of them and a LA film was the best new animanga release of 2021. I for one welcome my Live Action overlords? See You Space Cowboy. (Lol Netflix.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
q_3

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Most of my favorites this year were sequels (Iruma-kun, Zombieland, Laid-Back Camp, Thunderbolt Fantasy), but my favorite non-sequel was Let's Make a Mug Too (honestly I'd put it up there with Laid-Back Camp in terms of cute-girls-getting-seriously-invested-in-an-activity series) and favorite original was probably Aquatope on White Sand (not PA Works' best but very pretty, a pretty good message, and two great leads with a compelling relationship). Favorite character: Laura Apollodoros Hyginus La Mer, the vainglorious mermaid princess with a great arc from Tropical-Rouge Precure.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
q_3 wrote:
Favorite character: Laura Apollodoros Hyginus La Mer, the vainglorious mermaid princess with a great arc from Tropical-Rouge Precure.

Yeah, she's awesome!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Mushoku Tensei was the obvious choice from me, the other 4 I voted for didn't come close in terms of impact. Superb adaptation.
NeedMoreCats
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:22 pm Reply with quote
zawa113 wrote:
I'm really hoping someone at ANN saw Link Click, it needs so much more love and I can't wait for season 2!

I now note, it's not even listed in the mega poll... is it disqualified because it is from China on this one? Shame, as more people need to know about and watch it.

Not only is it not in the mega poll, it’s not even in the encyclopedia. Yes, I assume it’s because it’s from China and, thus, not anime.

I mean, I get it, but sometimes I wish that weren’t the case. I really enjoyed Link Click, and Heaven Official’s Blessing was in my top 5 last year. Happily, both are getting 2nd seasons next year! Very Happy
ranran-001

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Mushoku and Slime, that's all for me.

Log Horizon, sadly was the biggest disappointment for me.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Why only 5 choices? It should be at least 10 for god's sake. And there's way to many choices (mostly movies) that haven't been available to watch so how is one supposed to critique them? And not based on reviews that someone situated in japan has reviewed. And I'm enjoying Tropical Rouge Precure after taking an 8 year break from any Precure series.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:00 am Reply with quote
^ I totally agree! Like others, there were so many good shows and so diverse that I had to keep telling myself to pick based on the following elements but there were more than 5 that satisfied all.

1. Writing
2. Artwork
3. Concept
4. Enjoyability
5. Actually watched

There were shows that were widely acclaimed as gems like OddTaxi, 86, To Your Eternity, Megalobox that I just didn't see so I couldn't vote for despite fully expecting they would all be "better" than those I did vote for based on the quality of reviewers. I was really conflicted to take down Case Study of Vanitas in favor of Heike Monogatari since the former was so good in all areas but the latter was also exceptional for the reasons Rebecca mentioned. I am very put out that I couldn't put in for Don't Toy with Me Nagatoro but how could one in good conscience compare it better than So I'm a Spider, So What? or Vanitas? All are very good shows for widely differing reasons and ones I thoroughly enjoyed. I say expand the number to 10 and let the results sift out the top 5.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:13 am Reply with quote
It was really tough to pick only 5. I ended up with:

1) Fruits Basket Final = When I watched the first series back in the 00's I honestly couldn't understand why this series was so popular and what people saw in it. Now I know. Oh boy do I know.
2) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 6 Stone Ocean = Pure Jojo-style fun and one of the best female protagonists and casts I have ever seen so far.
3) ODDTAXI = Stellar mystery and plenty of twists that all ties up satisfyingly in the end.
4) Nomad: Megalobox = Great exploration of the depths of grief and redemption.
5) Shadows House = Solid and fun mysteries, starts off a bit slow but wins you over.

And even though I didn't vote for them, I greatly enjoyed Tokyo Revengers, Welcome to the Demon School Iruma kun S-2, and Case Study of Vanitas.

For best characters, I'd pick Honda Tohru, Jolyne Kujoh, and Noe Archiviste.
Stretch2424

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:51 am Reply with quote
I notice that no anime got more than one vote for best series. Was that intentional?
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
Only three members have given their opinions for best shows so far. As we get more there will probably be some repeats
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:15 am Reply with quote
Second installment is up!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:33 am Reply with quote
Junko's song was indeed a great moment in 2021, definitely something to see. I don't think there's a specific moment in Ousama Ranking that I can pinpoint, but some of the scenes with Hiling and how willing she is to be Boji's mother could count. I'll also add a moment that is definitely a favorite in Dynazenon - the churro scene. It's so wonderfully awkward, a real charm
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9