• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SrkSano

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4 felt the most like a video game which was a huge bonus for me. I think the series has already had enough episodes that felt like a 'slice of life' to last me a lifetime. Lol!

Also it was a nice surprise that this one moved the overall plot along and wasn't just a monster of the week.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
This episode was great because we got to watch Makoto Wolfen Bite her way into being a badass. Mikako Komatsu can disintegrate my skull with a serrated claymore any time.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:02 pm Reply with quote
This was quite the episode. Now we know why the anime is so different from the game. spoiler[It's not an adaptation, it's a sequel! Whereas Re Dive follows the Bad End of the original Princess Connect, the anime follows the Bad End of Re Dive arc 1. Instead of beating the final boss, everything resets back to the beginning and they have to try again.]
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:38 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
This was quite the episode. Now we know why the anime is so different from the game. spoiler[It's not an adaptation, it's a sequel! Whereas Re Dive follows the Bad End of the original Princess Connect, the anime follows the Bad End of Re Dive arc 1. Instead of beating the final boss, everything resets back to the beginning and they have to try again.]
Yeah, at the scene of Yuuki near-death experience I was like... "Wait, they are really pulling THIS?"

But now it's funny thing - can we consider the whole anime series now as spoiler[Bad End of the Bad End, considering the whole Re:Dive plot involving the "reboot" of PriConne universe from the failure of the first game in Final Fantasy XIV-style way?]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:39 pm Reply with quote
I am not familiar with games whatsoever, but I feel the anime gave hints as to what was really going on from the first episode of the first season. I can't remember exactly when the penny dropped for me, but I do remember thinking, "oh, I guess it's _________" and that turned out to be true. I'm sort of amazed at how long they've gone without getting down to brass tacks.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I forget which episode, but in season 1 there was a scene where Yuuki was filling out a form, the girls point out he wrote something weird, and it shows that he was writing in Japanese rather than whatever language Landsol uses.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:18 pm Reply with quote
For me the tip off was when we saw characters from spoiler[his memory who looked identical to some of his current female companions. Although, I think I assumed he was in a parallel world, not necessarily a reset.]
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Every day PecoKyaru gets more and more canon.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:04 am Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
I am incredibly excited to see Monika and the four toddlers under her purview in Weißflügel flop around uselessly in complete contrast

Lack of Ayumi in a speaking role aside, Episode 6 did not disappoint in this regard at all. In retrospect, though, I'm wondering if those of us who play the game should have warned everyone that doesn't play the game about Kuuka.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I hate, hate, hate, Ninon's “gaijin” accent. It's such a lazy stereotype. After all, why bother talking like an actual person who learned Japanese as a second language when it's so much easier to just keep the grammar perfect and put the emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAbles?
Isn't it like, the whole point of Ninon as a character is just being a massive walking weeb trope (plus she ain't samurai, she's ninja wannabe) in the first place?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Monika is actually the only member of the guild who is a spy. The others are just weirdos.

It's also worth mentioning that the narcissist Yuki (one u) is the only playable male unit in the game. He does identify as male so he's a cross dresser rather than transgender.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking that episode 6 was strange because had two new guilds that were on the opposite end tone wise, which made it really weird to pop up together.

Also, I am pretty sure that I am not the only one who can make comparisons to Weiß Flügel to the Konosuba gang. You have a masochistic pervert, which is the easiest comparison. A chuuni like person that is pretty obsessed with explosions/explosives. A rather vane character, who I can't remembering doing much else. And a team leader heard their team of cats, while also making a quick buck, and not seen as mature as they might like.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I think they jammed two guilds into one episode because this wasn't actually our introduction to Nightmare - they were around for a fair bit of the Season 1 finale, enough to get at least something of a gauge on their personalities, including Christina's aloof-but-still-clearly-present loyalty to the guild.

For those that don't play the game, it should be noted that this episode was more or less a retelling of the Living Armor event, which featured Nightmare. Twilight Caravan was not involved in the event at all, which suggest they aren't responsible for the green goop. (I kinda expect they were only brought up at all to give the animators an excuse to make Yuuki make a horrified KarylFace.) Weiβflügel was also not involved at all and were likely tossed into the episode strictly for comic relief. (Plus Monika was on screen for half a second in S1E1 so they had to get her involved eventually.)

Also, for what it's worth, Monika is 17 years old, which is why she gets so indignant about being treated like she's 7 years old. (Her Rage of Bahamut self is even older, but also has a more mature figure, so the jokes the franchise is trying to tell wouldn't make nearly as much sense.)

Quote:
Now the only question is which of the few remaining guilds from the game will get the spotlight next week.

Given the next episode preview title, I'm hoping that spoiler[Shadowverse's Arisa] is making an appearance. We already got Monika, let's go even further!

WANNFH wrote:
Quote:
I hate, hate, hate, Ninon's “gaijin” accent. It's such a lazy stereotype. After all, why bother talking like an actual person who learned Japanese as a second language when it's so much easier to just keep the grammar perfect and put the emPHAsis on the wrong syLLAbles?
Isn't it like, the whole point of Ninon as a character is just being a massive walking weeb trope (plus she ain't samurai, she's ninja wannabe) in the first place?

This is exactly correct; Ninon is spoiler[originally from France], in fact. Personally I'm fine with anime poking fun at spoiler[white Western weebs that don't grasp the "culture, not costume" concept], but perhaps others disagree. Satomi Satou's voice work for Ninon might be my favorite voice work in the franchise, though.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the broken Japanese weeb characters, there's a reason they became a popular stereotype of Western anime fans after Naruto after all. Though I do wish that broken Japanese was actually broken in terms of tense and conjugation like the reviewer mentions.

As for Mitsuki's mention, so see very briefly in once scene Mitsuki talking to one of Neneka's butterflies. So I'd wager that Neneka is having Mitsuki make potions that cause hallucinations that are, perhaps, pleas for help from Neneka to the wider world. As for the euphoria supposedly brought on by these potions... that's probably just a Kuuka thing.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 pm Reply with quote
So this was the Christmas event minus the Christmas. Crunchyroll must be happy since they didn't have to subtitle "Christmas" as "holidays" like they did in the game.

Since they're doubling down on the Peco/Karyl stuff, and removed all the harem stuff (though it doesn't make sense why Chika would investigate Foggy for Yuuki's sake since she doesn't have feelings for him), looks like they're going all in on a Yui ending.

Next week is spoiler[Lucient Academy.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6