• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Megumi Ogata Comments on Seiyū Awards Win: Voice Acting World Needs To Be More "Gende

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
48 Rices

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Souther wrote:
livin_large wrote:
I think the main issue with this proposal is while it's pretty common for women to voice male characters, especially adolescent boys, it's extremely rare for men to voice female characters. Most if not all of the examples I can think of are done as a jokes or punchline, like Dr. Girlfriend from The Venture Bros or Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time. Or they need someone with that 'chain-smoker' voice.

Only serious examples that I know of are Akira Ishida in ICE, and I think Daisuke Ono in Tamako Market?

I remember finding out that Numbuh 5 in the Japanese dub of Codename: Kids Next Door is voiced by a male.
Oggers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
livin_large wrote:
I think the main issue with this proposal is while it's pretty common for women to voice male characters, especially adolescent boys, it's extremely rare for men to voice female characters. Most if not all of the examples I can think of are done as a jokes or punchline, like Dr. Girlfriend from The Venture Bros or Lumpy Space Princess from Adventure Time. Or they need someone with that 'chain-smoker' voice.

One interesting example that I can think of is DW from Arthur, who's a girl but has always been voiced by young boys. Apparently this is because the girls who auditioned for DW didn't sound husky enough for a bratty, tomboyish girl like her.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I mean, technically it’s in place so not just dudes get awards or the other way around… I’m all for alternate genders, don’t get me wrong, but I think abolishing the system is not a good idea. -someone who’s actually been to the Seiyuu Awards and has friends who have won
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Did Megumi Ogata low key come out as non-binary in this speech?
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:21 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I notice there seems to be more male VAs voicing young boys in Anime now. Deku from My Hero Academia would have most likely been voiced by a women if the show had come out maybe even 10 years earlier. So would Eren from Attack on Titan, and if it had come out now maybe Amin would be voiced by a man instead given that he ages past the range that women usually voice males.

We certainly wouldn't have characters like Goku voiced by a woman now, maybe even Luffy would be voiced by a man if the show came out now. There doesn't even seem to be any newish(as in they started only about 10 years ago) female VAs who mainly only do male roles.

Or an example that involves Ogata, she voiced Yugi in the 98 adaptation of Yu-Gi-Oh! and he was later voiced by a male VA in the 01 adaptation. So it's mainly only women, if the character looks below the age of 10 or are girly looking.

This actually makes me wonder now if in the event they decide to use a completely new voice cast for the upcoming Kenshin remake if they'll actually have a man play him in the sub rather than the original voice actress or a new actress
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:45 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I agree with you as far as the rarity in Japanese voice acting. There are some "not joke" examples in American voice acting though, like the cast of Bob's Burgers. Tina and Linda are both voiced by men.

Which I feel compelled to say both men are very funny and do a great job in the roles. I happen to really like Dan Mintz period as a comedian.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Good on her for speaking out! “Actor” is a gender-neutral term to begin with, so they might as well give out a gender-neutral award for it.
capt_bunny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:15 am Reply with quote
I fully agree with her. I'm not cis and wish to go more into voice acting. I don't see myself as an "actress" rather an "actor."

Lets also not forget Aoki Shiki. A transmale who voices a female character.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:26 am Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:
I mean, technically it’s in place so not just dudes get awards or the other way around… I’m all for alternate genders, don’t get me wrong, but I think abolishing the system is not a good idea. -someone who’s actually been to the Seiyuu Awards and has friends who have won

I think that is why a lot of things are still split by gender. The reasons are more obvious for something like sports, but like you said, if a string of men were to win the top voice talent award for a bunch of years in a row / same thing with a string of women then there would definitely be shit getting stirred about gender bias in the selection.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:42 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

From what I can tell from the original article she wasn't speaking about abolishing gender as such, or whatever, she just said that since voice acting is not an outside-facing job anyway, the industry should be more accepting of non-binary/etc identities aside of just male and female. And so there shouldn't be a binary distinction between "voice actor" and "voice actress", they should all be treated under the same "seiyuu" umbrella, regardless of gender identity. (For that matter she didn't say that men should be allowed to voice female roles either, I'm not sure why the discussion here took that route... :O )

Her issue was her getting the award for female seiyuu despite receiving the award for a male role, and the fact that with most of her roles being male characters anyway she doesn't really think of herself as a "voice actress" - and she says there are other seiyuu who, like her, don't fit the conventional actor/actress male/female boxes.

Quote:
その上で「女優賞で良いんですか? 自分は、ずっと声優をやった年月、7割くらいを少年役の声優として過ごし、自分が女優と思ったことが、あまりない」と、驚いた2つ目の理由を語った。そして「これだけジェンダーフリーと言われる世の中で、声優界もカミングアウトしている人もいる。私もそうですが、普段の生活でも、ほとんど女性と思って生活していない人間もいる」とも語った。
(from here)

Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Did Megumi Ogata low key come out as non-binary in this speech?

I wouldn't say so. What she said was that 1. she doesn't really identify as an actress what with most of her roles being male, and 2. basically she doesn't think too much of her gender in her everyday life. Which I think in this context simply means that many people are not living their lives being particularly focused on their gender, doing (stereo)typically male/female things, etc. which doesn't necessarily mean non-binary. (Me, I'm technically female and don't mind identifying as such whenever it comes up, but in everyday life my gender is barely part of my identity.) Of course she might be non-binary for all I know, certainly she's very clear about not being super fixated on being a woman to say the least. But I don't think she went as far as coming out as non-binary here.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Voice work is a weird place with that disconnect between young male and female roles. Unless you go the Hey Arnold route and cast (and re-cast over and over) kids, most of the time there is a LOT of cross-gender acting happening.

So is the idea that all voice actors be recognized under the same pool of talent? I get that, best voice for best job especially given the intermingled nature of it all.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
So is the idea that all voice actors be recognized under the same pool of talent? I get that, best voice for best job especially given the intermingled nature of it all.

Me, I'd like to see something along the lines of "best lead seiyuu in a comedy" "best lead seiyuu in a dramat" "best seiyuu in a supporting role" etc. With some self-awareness they could also create "best seiyuu in a high-school-boys-do-sports-and-get-shippy role" "best seiyuu in an isekai waifu role" "best seiyuu in a shouty shounen adventure anime lead role" etc...
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:30 am Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
I agree with you as far as the rarity in Japanese voice acting. There are some "not joke" examples in American voice acting though, like the cast of Bob's Burgers. Tina and Linda are both voiced by men.

I think the only other examples I can think of are the boys that used to voice Peppermint Patty and Marcie in the Peanuts cartoons (girls usually voice them these days though), and D.W. in Arthur has always been voiced by boys. I'm not sure why, but it's an interesting idea.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:56 am Reply with quote
Not sure why this wasn't mentioned as a separate article, but Megumi Ogata organised the "Precious Anime and Game Song Festival" held on 27 March 2022 at Toyoso Pit.

Edited highlights are on Megumi Ogata's youtube channel until 23:59 on 04th April 2022 JST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AFdIRiUG3w
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2