• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Bubble

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Know what? Urobuchi's Godzilla movies may have been bad, but they were wildly entertaining. My spouse and I watched all three and were thoroughly entertained the whole way. Also there is some genuinely good ideas in them, and maybe if he'd had more time or less producer meddling or whatever the heck happened, it could've been a genuinely amazing series. Urobuchi might miss the mark sometimes, but he's never boring.

Bubble though? It was boring. I don't mind that Urobuchi's moved on to other things not anime, but I wish they wouldn't so blatantly abuse his name in marketing. I was really excited for Bubble because his name was splattered all over the trailers. WRITTEN BY GEN UROBUCHI!!!!! But by the halfway point I realized I was absolutely not watching a Gen Urobuchi movie, there was no way he'd write such bland, dull characters, and I felt duped.

Bubble is ok, it's worth it for the visuals alone, but do not go in expecting a great story and memorable characters.
Walpurgiz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Great visual,Ost but it will be easily forgettable. with top tier staff. i expect much more than that.
i see why they decide to sold the right to netflix instead of release it in cinema because they afraid it would flop.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
You know what no, I don't think it is unresaonable to say Hey urobuchi can you please give a toss about anime and manga stuff again instead of all this other stuff that is your current vanity project please.

It's like george rr martin going, hey I PROMISE I am working on the next game of thrones book, in the mean time go watch my new mini series on the SCI FI channel! and be sure to check out MADOKA GACHA GAME EVENT, and watch the new season of psychopass by the author of season 2 and remember he TOTALLY didn't beat his wife.

Either do something yourself in anime and manga or just LEAVE already like you obviously want to. I honestly don't think that is an unreasonable position

It is unreasonable, because you are demanding something from him, and he doesn't owe you anything. He is a human being with his own personal circumstances, passions, needs and wants. Just because you enjoy part of his stuff, doesn't give you a right to tell him what to do or what career path he should pursue. He is not your employee, much less your slave, and you don't know him personally to even hazard a guess as to why he prioritizes what he does.

I understand the frustration as a fan, but really, it's none of your or my business. Do I want new VN or original anime content from him? Of course I do, but if he doesn't want to attach himself to such projects, then I just have to accept I can't control other people and move on with my life.
I do agree the PR stunt of waiving his name around when his involvement was minimal is pretty annoying though.

As for the movie itself, just watched it, it's okay. I mean, the story is as okay as it gets (despite some really cool bits here and there), but the rest is trully astounding. The animation is gorgeous, the directing is top-notch, and the soundtrack is phenomenal (I just really love everything by Sawano Hiroyuki), it all helps to elevate the experience into something that's worth your time, despite the hiccups.
bassgs435

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The marketing move of exaggerating Urobuchi's involvement is pretty annoyimg, that I'll agree with
But is it his fault that marketing is misleading on purpose? I don't think he has a say on how marketing handles these projects. It seems he has commented on him not being a main writer here and I remember he also went into detail about his exacl level of involvement with Aldnoah, so it seems he isn't against revealing the truth and the marketing exaggerations are out of his hands
Niello

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:38 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Bubble though? It was boring. I don't mind that Urobuchi's moved on to other things not anime, but I wish they wouldn't so blatantly abuse his name in marketing. I was really excited for Bubble because his name was splattered all over the trailers. WRITTEN BY GEN UROBUCHI!!!!! But by the halfway point I realized I was absolutely not watching a Gen Urobuchi movie, there was no way he'd write such bland, dull characters, and I felt duped.

I had the worst feeling the moment I noticed that during the opening below his name there were two other people credited for the script. At that point, I knew he didn't write it. Then at the beginning they did one of those really awkward exposition dump and I knew where to set the bar. Even then around 1/3 of the way through I just want to facepalm myself over and over with just how awful and bland the script was.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 11:17 am Reply with quote
bassgs435 wrote:
The marketing move of exaggerating Urobuchi's involvement is pretty annoyimg, that I'll agree with
But is it his fault that marketing is misleading on purpose? I don't think he has a say on how marketing handles these projects. It seems he has commented on him not being a main writer here and I remember he also went into detail about his exacl level of involvement with Aldnoah, so it seems he isn't against revealing the truth and the marketing exaggerations are out of his hands

Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear enough, I don't think the marketing exaggeration is his fault at all, he most certainly has nothing to do with it. He just attaches himself to projects where he is called to contribute and then the PR team has a field day. It's all pretty disingenuous too: in the trailer his name is plastered in the screen all caps "Written by Gen Urobuchi", and in the OP for the movie his name is the first one to be listed above Renji Ohki and Naoko Sato.
I also think this is pretty unfair. By his own account on that tweet, Bubble seems to be the brainchild of Tetsuro Araki that was translated into a script by Naoko Sato (mostly, we don't really know how Renji Ohki was involved). They should be properly credited by how much they contributed, instead of being forced to ride on the coattails of Urobuchi's name.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:47 pm Reply with quote
You know what, after thinking about it a bit, I feel like regardless of how much direct influence he had, there's actually a lot more of Urobuchi's DNA in Bubble than people are recognizing. About halfway through it, I realized that there are a lot of parallels between this and, of all things, Saya no Uta.

I mean: spoiler[The bubbles / Saya are both a cosmic horror that pose an existential threat to humanity. The male protagonists both have a failure to connect to humanity due to past trauma. Through connecting with them, Uta and Saya both learn to experience human emotions, most significantly love, and are willing to sacrifice themselves to protect Fuminori / Hibiki. Of course, Saya's ending is a little different since her spawn are probably going to wipe out humanity.]

I liked the film overall; I actually feel like the weakest part of it was anything involving the Undertakers. There was a lot of weird stuff going on with them and it felt like it all got left on the cutting room floor, and honestly they could've just been cut out of the movie entirely to give more characterization to the rest of the cast.
Funchal99

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Vanadise wrote:
You know what, after thinking about it a bit, I feel like regardless of how much direct influence he had, there's actually a lot more of Urobuchi's DNA in Bubble than people are recognizing. About halfway through it, I realized that there are a lot of parallels between this and, of all things, Saya no Uta.

I mean: spoiler[The bubbles / Saya are both a cosmic horror that pose an existential threat to humanity. The male protagonists both have a failure to connect to humanity due to past trauma. Through connecting with them, Uta and Saya both learn to experience human emotions, most significantly love, and are willing to sacrifice themselves to protect Fuminori / Hibiki. Of course, Saya's ending is a little different since her spawn are probably going to wipe out humanity.]

Huh, that's actually a pretty intresting take.
Lemurians

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 am Reply with quote
Shredding the movie throughout the review and then giving it a 'B' gave me a deep laugh.

Urobuchi's name definitely used purely for advertising. I actually finished watching Madoka a few days before seeing this, and the difference in the quality of writing, both in terms of story and the characters, is startling. This film's script is an absolute mess. There's actually some cool stuff going on with the post-disaster setting, and the question of why the day's youth would rather live there than deal with the "outside" world, but apparently doing a shoddy re-telling of The Little Mermaid was more important. The love story was a joke. Uta is plot-device waifu bait, not a character, and she and Hibiki had no chemistry to carry any sort of romantic narrative.

WIT and Sawano did their best to make it a fun watch (WIT, feel free to make an actual parkour anime), but it's lipstick on a pig.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2