• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Luminaria Game Ends Service on July 19

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metazoxan

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 7:13 pm Reply with quote
PyrosAWX wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
They should stop making Tales of Mobile games.

After Tales of Link, Tales of Asteria, Tales of the Rays, Tales of Crestoria you would think they would know that no one wants it.

Invest the money into mainline Tales of games instead...

And yet, Luminaria was mainline.
By having a cast of only original characters; Luminaria was considered an original and not a crossover.

GNPixie wrote:
I mean, Asteria and Rays are incredily popular...
In Japan.

Both are still getting new content in fact.

This, Asteria is 8-years old, is in its 6th arc, and still strong.
Rays is 5-years old, has the playable characters of all originals (Luminaria exluded, as it was still ongoing.), is in its 4th arc, and doesn't show any sign of weakness.
Also pretty sure Rays Global would be still there if they didn't did a botched release.

You can't really call Luminaria a "mainline" game just because it was "all origional".

I mean by that logic Crestoria was 90% mainline. It has a pretty full cast and other characters were repurposed Cameos. Meaning they were reworked into characters within Crestoria's world.

But otherwise the story was entirely origional.

In the end the problem is the people behind the Tales of mobile games ... just have no real idea what they are doing.

The only reason they have two games going in Japan in mobiles games do a lot better in Japan and Tales is a more popular franchise in Japan. That's allowed those two games to stay alive long enough to slowly improve the service.

Just look at Crestoria. It was made without any of the QoL improvements that have become almost standard in similar games. It took way too long to fix bugs and balance issues.

Some aspects of the game were just botched and handled badly like how much of a nightmare inventory management was.

The game had what it needed to do well but the people they put in charge of these games are ... quite frankly idiots.

As for Luminaria I knew it would die but not this fast.

Just from looks alone while it looked nice it just didn't feel like a "Tales of" game and came across as a bit rushed in some aspects.

But it's greatest sin ... was comming out right as Crestoria died. Litterally everyone on the Crestoria subreddit said the same thing "I'm not playing this because I don't trust it to not die again".

No one had confidence in this game and Ironically that was largely what probably killed it. They gave us no reason to beleive this game would last long enough to be worth investing time and money into.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I hope the Slime Isekai game does not suffer the same fate, I love that game so much.
Seiya0890

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:42 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Seiya0890 wrote:
That was fast... But why would the Episode finale would happen before the OVAs ? That is stupid

Because it's going to explain why Hugo defected, which is probably the biggest question left hanging.

I see, reason is probably some classic one though, like he saw some injustice or he thought it was best for humanity or something (haven't played the game hehe).
DevilBrew

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:48 pm Reply with quote
Namco's inability to create sustainable mobile games is laughable at this point. The game didn't even last a full year and its not hard to see why. The gameplay is annoyingly clunky with a lack of variety in combos. It was such a slog to get through. There's no reason why games made by small devs( punishing gray raven, action taimanin, etc) have a firmer grasp on making action rpgs than namco who has decades of experience.

Having to individually play through everyone's story was such a drag even though the dialogue was fairly well written. Besides from that, the game suffered from a lack of content to keep things fun.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2