• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skip and Loafer (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Had to laugh at super klutz Mitsumi "revealing" to people that she sucks at sports as if it was a massive secret. Laughing She's so cute. We get more insight into why Egashira is the way she is. She was a fatty at one point. Well, denying yourself food when you crave sweeties can certainly make a person bitchy. It certainly does me. But I'm confident that Mitsumi and Shima's influence will save her from becoming the truly awful human being she has the potential to be.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:56 pm Reply with quote
If the way the end of the episode is any indication, she's already well on her way to growing better as a person. Just her realizing and apparently accepting that Shima may see something in Mitsumi that he lacks speaks volumes on how much she's grown from what we saw of her from the beginning of the series.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 05: Prickly and Giddy

Summary: Pending

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 3:21 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
If the way the end of the episode is any indication, she's already well on her way to growing better as a person. Just her realizing and apparently accepting that Shima may see something in Mitsumi that he lacks speaks volumes on how much she's grown from what we saw of her from the beginning of the series.

It was a pretty deft way to move the plot with Mitsumi and Shima forward without a lot of exposition or repetition too. This series has yet to disappoint me.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 5:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it is a well written show. Characters feel pretty realistic and it manages to avoid any obnoxious melodrama (so far).
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, this weeks episode (6) brought a little bit of conflict that's been half a season coming. I thought it was handled with impressive finesse. Such a small incident packed some real emotional weight because it touched on an area where Sousuke's emotional detachment could have easily hurt the wide open Mitsumi pretty deeply without meaning to.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 06: Drizzling and Flickering

Screen Caps:

Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2023 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 07: Hectic and Hot Stuff

Screen Caps:

Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8. Yeeks. So eight episodes in, the real baddie appears and bares her fangs. I mean, bangs. Looks like the slight undertone of melancholy that is never entirely absent from this sweet heart of a show is about to get some elaboration.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2023 5:06 am Reply with quote
I will say that I really like the vibes of this, that feels a lot sweeter and accept than other series, that I am not too worried by a new character bringing in drama. This episode alone had the exact sort of parts why I like it so much.

Firstly that there is Nao, a transgender woman, which gave the edge early on that although it is a mostly straight romance, it is being respectful of LGBT. And this episode showed that there can be some awkward parts but far from something like the tricking trope, had Nao telling her niece to give her friends the heads up so that it won't be sudden. A lot of stuff shows that can be very glamorous.

Second with Yuzuki, which it kind of says she can give off of either prickly or perhaps demands attention or drama, but established that she is much more interested in more genuine friendships. We learned in the episode that she actually went to the school to try and get away from relationship drama.

And third with Mika, who we know can some sort of mean comments that at least play out in her head, and apparently puts a lot of work in making herself look as trendy as possible. And we have quite a lot of plot that follows that she suffers from a lot of insecurity, with a lot of her thoughts being projections. I really liked that Nao picked up on the insecurities, and encouraged her that it was not too late to go back in there and have a good time, and there really is nothing wrong with being a bit cringe. It kind of feels like Mika could easily have been written off as bully who thinks mean things.

Based on the new girl, a model that apparently had a scandal in the past, kind of looks like good hands that we will have more themes of insecurities, and maybe unfairness of presuming things. The show has really good in my mind at these things that insecurities can come from places where there can be good reasons, but also that it is entirely unfair to push them onto other people.

It does make me feel better than a particular show that comes to mind where I had a particular problem with things like a joke that came across as insensitive, but had a lot of defenders say she was insecure. And so it didn't matter that the show never condemned the character for taking her insecurities out on someone else. Skip and Loafer just feels too wholesome.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:46 am Reply with quote
My main question after episode 8 was how Mitsumi ever gathered the wherewithal to leave that island. I know she has ambitions, but the place seems pretty idyllic to me. Her bestie seems awesome too.

The thing I still haven't figured out nine episodes in is, what's up with the title?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 7:05 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the Skip part is easy... that's clearly Blondy who occasionally skips school and "skips" out on things he finds too troublesome. But Loafer? That certainly doesn't describe Mitsuri. Maybe loafer refers to the shoe type that students wear?
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 8:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 08: Heat and Complications

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, the Skip part is easy... that's clearly Blondy who occasionally skips school and "skips" out on things he finds too troublesome. But Loafer? That certainly doesn't describe Mitsuri. Maybe loafer refers to the shoe type that students wear?

I dunno. Seems to me that identifying loafers as singular would be like saying Skip and Galosh...
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2023 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Edjwald, Edjwald, Edjwald... I swear if I didn't have to spend so much time educating you, I'd probably rule the world... or something. It is true that some footwear does not lend itself to a singular form. You correctly identify galoshes as one of those examples. However, where your entire intellectual edifice collapses like an abandoned building primed for demolition is that many types of footwear DO lend themselves to a singular form.

For example, if I were to enter your domicile and see a bunch of clutter including a single loafer lying on the floor, it would be perfectly correct of me to say, "Hey, Edjwald, howzabout ya pick up yer damn loafer, ya friggin' loafer!" Alternatively, if I decided to give you a swift kick in the pants and I happened to be wearing loafers, it would be correct to say, "Wow, you shoulda seen the other night... Blood- gave Edjwald a well-deserved swift kick with his loafer!"

See? Now I suggest you spend some quiet time contemplating the full implications of your grievous failed galosh analogy.

Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4