• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chihayafuru (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:20 pm Reply with quote
I must admit this show is better than I thought it was although I cannot get myself to be interested in the game they are playing. Hardly holds up to the Rugby World Cup.

However I am curious to see how they will develop the characters, although I hope they try for something a little more than romantic comedy with a card game thrown in, it has more potential than that.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Watched the first four episodes in a row after reading The Stream.

This is a gorgeous series. And I love the characters. The first three episodes are mainly flashback to the trio in 6th grade and how karuta brought them together. I cried so hard in episode 3 when spoiler[they were forced to go their own separate ways.]

After episode 4, I'm very, very curious to see spoiler[what happened to Arata and why he changed so much.]

Three more days til CR releases ep 5 for free. Sad

I really hope someone licenses this series, either manga or anime. We need more josei over here!
4750G

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:01 am Reply with quote
Latest episode is...sad. I kinda guessed already that spoiler[Arata's grandpa died that's why he quit, but to make it worse, he suffered a stroke while Arata was playing karuta. The pain he must have felt. No wonder he gave up playing altogether.] Hopefully he meets up with Chihaya and Taichi again; Chihaya made a lot of effort in order to see him again. I was saddened for Taichi, especially in the scene where spoiler[he's gonna hold her hand already but Chihaya caught a glimpse of the person who just passed and ran after him, thinking it was Arata. Ouch. But Taichi finally agreed to make a karuta club;] guess he really can't leave Chihaya alone after everything.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode five was hard to watch, Arata was an annoying prick. But the episode did three crucial things absolutely right.

He was only a jerk for this episode only (excluding the cliffhanger in episode four), which meant we didn't have to put up with this for very long. I can forgive a character for feeling down, but when they make no progress and just stay negative for too long it is easy to turn on them. Put simply, Arata's bad mood did not outstay its welcome.

Secondly, we got to see inside his head. The key word he mentioned was 'shame'. Getting told what happened to him is never going to be as powerful as actually hearing it from himself. Furthermore, it became apparent that he wasn't anti-social to Chihaya because of what happened to his grandfather, but rather he had got himself into a hole and shame kept him there.

Finally, and this is a simple one, he let Chihaya know that he was sorry for what he had said to her. Even if she couldn't hear his words, the message he sent just by riding on his bike like that was pretty unmistakeable. It is very important because it prevents the vicious cycle where Chihaya then is negative towards him or, more likely given her character, blames herself. Too often in Anime I see bad blood continuing even when the character who initiated it has moved on.

So yeah, although I was raging at Arata for most of this episode, he redeemed himself, which was the whole point.

In episode six, it was really nice to hear the meanings behind several of the poems. Introducing a girl who loved karuta for the poems' sake and their collective histories was a good direction to take, as the fresh tack expands the story very naturally. The deal at the end - that Chihaya would model and that they would use the shop's hakama - was very obvious right from the get-go. But I'm glad they pushed it right to the end and focused on Kana teaching Chihaya (and by extension, us) more about the poems.

Oh, and we also got a plausible and probable reason why Chihaya starts out slow against people she doesn't usually play with.

Out of the fourteen currently-airing shows I'm watching at the moment, I think Chihayafuru is tying with Bakuman Season 2 for top place. Definitely glad I'm watching it.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely good, but I do end up laughing at the shojo-ness of it occasionally. The way they sometimes frame a character's face with flowers always elicits a laugh that I'm pretty sure wasn't intended.

I like Kanade and won't be upset if this is a pattern they work on with the other characters as they are introduced, each person focusing on a different aspect of the game that Chihaya hadn't considered before.

Chihaya - with the good ear
Taichi - competitive and sore loser
Kanade - the poet who knows the meaning of the game

? - someone who reads the other player?
? - someone who focuses on flair and speed over accuracy?
? - someone who prefers an alternate version of the game, like one of the visual variations?
? - a hyper intellectual or strategist of some kind? (could be the person who reads the other player)

They only need two more people for the official club though. It will be interesting how they fill the club.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SethMosrite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Chi haya furu
Kami yo mo kikazu
Tatsuta gawa
Kara kurenai ni
Mizu kuguru to wa.

ALL red with leaves Tatsuta's stream
So softly purls along,
The everlasting Gods themselves,
Who judge 'twixt right and wrong,
Ne'er heard so sweet a song.

You can read the 100 poems here. Chi haya furu is #17 (you can find the number of the poem on the karuta card).
thedragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
So, after watching the last episode of this today and getting really really angry at it I remembered that Bamboo said in The Stream (which isn't listed under ANN's views tab for some reason, even if you click and more...) that there would be another 12 episodes.

Can anyone confirm this because that was a really underwhelming finale.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
yes, I believe it's a 24 episode series. If you check CR's streaming page you'll see it's still on each week.

I was slightly upset with the 13th episode myself. Sometimes they move into somewhat forced dramatic situations and spoiler[Chihaya fainting in the middle of a match with no prior warning signs] certainly counted. Oh anime characters and their instant and insidious weaknesses towards spoiler[the common cold and other other random anemic reactions.] *sigh*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thedragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Cool, thanks. I wonder why ANN hasn't updated that on the main Chihaya page yet...
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
yes, I believe it's a 24 episode series. If you check CR's streaming page you'll see it's still on each week.

I was slightly upset with the 13th episode myself. Sometimes they move into somewhat forced dramatic situations and spoiler[Chihaya fainting in the middle of a match with no prior warning signs] certainly counted. Oh anime characters and their instant and insidious weaknesses towards spoiler[the common cold and other other random anemic reactions.] *sigh*

People were talking about this on another anime forum so I'll say what I said there, spoiler[she collapsed from a combination of stress, pressure, possibly a lack of sleep/food/water, and getting overheated from wearing the hakama. Honestly we've seen her work herself up and get too stressed to think straight before, especially in tournaments, hopefully after this she'll make sure this doesn't happen again, I got the impression that Taichi was at least partially expecting this to happen and was keeping an eye out for it. I've even seen some people take it to the meta level and connect it to her odd moment at the shrine but regardless I thought that her collapse made plenty of sense in retrospect.]

Last edited by wandering-dreamer on Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 am; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
Wandering-dreamer: Use spoiler tags, please. Some of us can't afford to subscribe to Crunchyroll.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Right, sorry, completely blanked on that last night.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Ok. I love this show.

Seriously. I freaking love it.

There are very few shows that get me so incredibly excited about them and this one has managed to get me into that screaming fangirl mode I was in back when Kimi ni Todoke was airing. Not because the shows are similar (other than Arata being totally hot like Kazehaya *swoon*) but because they are just done so well.

I don't care about Karuta. But I love watching all the characters interact, overcome challenges, and play this game that I think would be really, well... boring if I were to try it out. I love the art, the animation quality, the music, the characters. Come to think of it, there isn't really anything I don't like about it. I just wish I had discovered this after it finished airing so I could watch it all in one go. Waiting a week is torture.

It was even worse when, like others said, they couldn't tell if it was 13 episodes or more. LOL

Not a fan of Taichi. To me, he's just Arata's love rival. I doubt that she'll actually choose one or the other, but... it's difficult to say whether or not she "loves" Arata or if she's just in love with what they shared. More like respect or an esteemed friend?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:11 pm Reply with quote
You know for a supposedly uber popular show that's well received by the ANN reviewers there isn't much discussion about this show.
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Something is bothering me about the latest episode, and how the match played out.
Unfortunately, its all spoilerific.
spoiler[So, I take it cheating is allowed? They made such a big deal about eliminating all the sounds and distractions in the Class A tournament. But, throwing open the window, stopping the match, making a huge scene and cheering on your star pupil is allowed? It clearly unfairly influenced the match.
Its like the opposing manager shining a laser pointer in your goalie's eyes.
With the number of episodes left, I am sure I just guessed the twist in next week's episode, and it might be super obvious that it will be contested.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16