• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Invests in Californian Theater Opening Next Winter

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holl.e.rama

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:39 am Reply with quote
Awesome! I'm glad I'm only 1 1/2 hours away from San Francisco! <3
Trunks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
BleuVII wrote:
So, they purified it with a Shinto ceremony? Interesting, and on the surface, rather pretentious. I wonder if it was for PR in the neighborhood that they are in. Otherwise, it's just an uncritical acceptance of anything Japanese (Japanophiles on a corporate level), which, as an anthropologist and resident of Japan, really bothers me.

Wait...what? Japantown in SF is one of the oldest Japanese communities in the United States, and nearly all of the businesses there are Japanese-run and/or owned. There's plenty of cultural ceremonies that happen in the area, why would it be pretentious?
Michi
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:11 am Reply with quote
Oh, awesome. I'll be back mostly for good from Japan to my native North Bay Area in the summer of 2008, just in time for when this opens. Good times.

Nerv1 wrote:
If I still lived in San Francisco, I would so go there...

But... Dublin is so close!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:32 am Reply with quote
Sweet, I live within walking distance to Japan Town. Kinokuniya bookstore is also getting a major remodeling right now and is moving to a new two story location in Japan town very soon.

We really ought to have a get together when the theater premiers anime. Maybe we can all mob Mifune, or Sapporo-ya as well as all the fun shops.
miji

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
That sounds totally cool! I would love to check it out sometime... too bad I live in Philly Sad .
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Yay! This is where I live too.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Trunks wrote:
BleuVII wrote:
So, they purified it with a Shinto ceremony? Interesting, and on the surface, rather pretentious. I wonder if it was for PR in the neighborhood that they are in. Otherwise, it's just an uncritical acceptance of anything Japanese (Japanophiles on a corporate level), which, as an anthropologist and resident of Japan, really bothers me.

Wait...what? Japantown in SF is one of the oldest Japanese communities in the United States, and nearly all of the businesses there are Japanese-run and/or owned. There's plenty of cultural ceremonies that happen in the area, why would it be pretentious?

Which is why I prefaced pretentious with "on the surface." I don't really know that much about Japantown SF. However, if what you say is true, then it's completely understandable, and whether it was done for religious reasons or not, it's just good PR. However, if they did it in another area, and did the ceremony simply because it had a Japanese flavor to it, I would call that pretentious.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:09 am Reply with quote
I think I was confused. I was under the impression that this theater was the old AMC Kabuki theater in Japan Town which just reopened as the Sundance International Theater last weekend. If I understand correctly this will be a new theater which is being built from square one near the preexisting one in Japan Town.

My roommate went last weekend to see Juno at the Sundance Kabuki in Japan Town and says it is really nice with assigned seating and tables and real chairs. There is even a full bar at on the balcony where you can order a Martini or a glass of wine. I think I'll go check a movie out later this week.

This is even cooler news since I thought that the Viz theater was going to be the new Kabuki. Instead we get two cool new theaters in Japan Town.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2