• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Survey: Reactions to Geneon

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JagBot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:55 pm Reply with quote
i both almost all of the series that i did not have from Geneon, but now that a see what it's hapening in the anime industry, i begin to retink my hoby, (i have almost 850 DVD's) but i see that Bandai is doing whit it's new licence (7DVD for 13 episode show) i seriously think that i will stop buying anime DVD, (7 *39.99 us$ = 280 us$ for 13 eps).[ But thanks to canadian frontier no banbai visual in Québec, Canada)]

And to return to geneon yes i'm angry cause i started the series Tale of Saiunkoku and i want to see the end, no i'm not ready to buy R2 DVD, to expansive and don't have the right equipement to play them. So i'm hoping that another Compagny buy the licence. Rolling Eyes Crying or Very sad
Demontaco

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if anyone else will jump on the licenses that Geneon now has no hold on, specifically "The Familiar of Zero" (Zero no Tsukaima to the fansub-savvy).

Personally, i am sad to hear that Geneon has gone under, but for the most part, i find the English Dub market to be massively overpriced anyway.

I can get about 26 episodes of an American show on DVD for about $50. so each episode is about $2, I'd say. not a bad deal.

For dubbed anime, it will run you about $30 for a 4-episode disc, $20 if you're lucky. That's $7.50 to $5 and episode... for long running shows like Bleach or Naruto (which is where i'm getting these prices, btw), by episode 52 or so, (the end of the first or second season) you've shelled out a good $390, and are looking at spending 3x that overall. For just one anime, its not worth it to me.

I dont use this to justify downloading the dub, however. These companies paid for the legal right to the anime, and we should respect that... i'm simply saying their sales would be better, and they would have less problems with the fans if they sold the anime at decent prices.

I do use these prices to justify fan subs, however. In my opinion, the American companies have paid for the English language rights, not the original Japanese. If i want to download it in Japanese, and some dude wants to throw some subtitles on there for me, more power to him. Any copyright infringement is the Japanese government's problem. (or UN... i don't know how international copyrights work). Its not the English company's problem.

If they have a problem with it, make decent dubs at decent prices. then we'll talk.
zetsuie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Ranma824 wrote:

Man... so THIS is attitude of Today's Geeks. I guess actually collecting, holding the media in your hand, and being proud of spending your money on your hobby has gone the way of the dinosaur.

by saying that your a geek if u buy anime your only making it more appealing to download the fansub
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I guess I could have cared less about what happened to Geneon, though since they've gone out of business I've realized what titles they had. I am concerned about the future of When They Cry and Hellsing Ultimate, since I have followed quite a bit in their manga counterparts and have all three of the Hellsing OVAs right now. I'm sure that the fan following will convince somebody to pick these up and finish them, and I hope it happens soon. Watching fansubs is nice to get a feel of how the anime will be like, but they've always been of pretty crappy quality which is why I prefer DVDs in the first place.
TriezGamer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who found this interesting?

Question 1: In general, is it ok to download licensed anime episodes? 35.6% say no.

Question 2: Is it okay to download episodes that have had their releases cancelled? 19.3% say no.

I think this shows that there's a fair number of people who want to buy DVDs if they can, but aren't afraid to go to less-than-legal methods to get the shows they want.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:04 pm Reply with quote
maybe some one will release they dvd that geneon did release i so what to see the english dub of black lagoon the second barrage and story of saiunkoku if they come out on dvd or the internet i dont care i just what to watch them Anime cry
DClark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
JagBot wrote:
i both almost all of the series that i did not have from Geneon, but now that a see what it's hapening in the anime industry, i begin to retink my hoby, (i have almost 850 DVD's) but i see that Bandai is doing whit it's new licence (7DVD for 13 episode show) i seriously think that i will stop buying anime DVD, (7 *39.99 us$ = 280 us$ for 13 eps).[ But thanks to canadian frontier no banbai visual in Québec, Canada)]

Bandai Visual USA (not to be confused with Bandai Entertaiment, who released entertaining and reasonably priced titles such as Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Scrapped Princess, Witch Hunter Robin, Cowboy Bebop, Planetes, and Escaflowne) is an exception to North American anime retail prices. They're charging very high prices because they think there are enough anime fans who can afford the higher prices and will buy their disks at that price to make a profit. It's the reason I don't have any Bandai Visual titles, but I have around eight or nine Bandai Entertainment titles. I haven't chosen to wash my hands of the anime scene just because of Bandai Visual; I choose just to give my money to other anime distributors who offer me more value for my money.

If you want good value, Manga Entertainment has done some impressive pricing on Noein; the individual disks (24 episodes) were 5 volumes at $20 each, and the box set that went on sale recently has a msrp of $40. It's a solid series at a very reasonable price.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I wish for Geneon to be better because I wanna collect all the Shounen Onmyouji DVDs. its my #1 favorite anime here (and I still love it) and its sad to see Geneon "go into a coma" here. Sad
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Demontaco wrote:
That's $7.50 to $5 and episode... for long running shows like Bleach or Naruto (which is where i'm getting these prices, btw), by episode 52 or so, (the end of the first or second season) you've shelled out a good $390, and are looking at spending 3x that overall. For just one anime, its not worth it to me.

If you found 52 episodes of Naruto for $390 you are looking in a very wrong place. MSRP for the first 4 boxsets would only be $199.92, and the first 13 single DVDs list at @19.98 apiece (or $259.74 total). In real world prices, the fifth set has 14 episodes and is $24.99 on Amazon right now (@ $1.78/episode).

This doesn't completely invalidate what you are trying to say, but coming up with $5-7.50 per episode for Naruto doesn't help. It suggests more that you are using "high prices" as justification for downloading that you were going to do anyway than it does research into actual prices. As long as you can get it for free then the price will probably always seem a bit high.

The survey made me feel a bit schizophrenic with my answers. I'm not a downloader any more, but I felt pretty solid about saying that I'd have no qualms with downloading orphaned Geneon titles. I buy my anime because I want the industry to thrive, and I don't download fansubs because I got bored with having already having seen the stuff I was buying. Something like Geneon orphaning Saiunkoko after two volumes kicks those considerations right out the window.
uLTraCarL

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I am an avid anime watcher. Along with those lines I download quite the amount of fansubs. Now before you go calling pirate pirate arrr and all that stuff, you should check my shelves out.

I purchase what I fully enjoy of what I have watched via fansubs. Currently rocking 180 DVDs with a bunch (19 discs) from the RightStuf Christmas sale not here yet, I can honestly say that I support the industry by buying what I enjoy.

I don't feel that it is worth my money to buy something that is not worthy to add to my collection, which is a lot of titles out there. Like for example Yumeria or Ragarok the ANIMATION (pity anyone who bought that show -_-).

I am extremely sad that Geneon has exited for the time being as they had snagged up quite the number of shows that I was going to buy upon release (Nanoha! Zero! Sad ). I'm also quite worried about ADV's situation since I was planning to buy Gurren Lagann once that dropped as well.

Now we have BV pumping out a 7 disc release for 13 episodes, I don't even know if I want to buy that. I am totally enjoying true tears but for that amount of money, I'm not even sure.

Sorry if I rambled on too much Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime
bugmenot
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it okay to download episodes that are available on DVD if the rest of the series has been canceled? (For example, now that volume 3 of When they Cry has been canceled, is it okay to download episodes from volumes 1 and 2, even though those DVDs an be purchased online?)

*rocks back and forth and strokes Evangelion laserdisc volume 1 & 2*

f**k you, Matt Greenfield.
bakaShin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
is this entrapment? taking our ip to see who voted for or in suspicion of p2p activities.

im tired of feeling guilty or made to feel guilty as i supported anime when it was in its infancy, i still support it now, and will in the future. the consumer cant be blamed for the problems of every business that fails.

if geneon and the others licensed every anime from japan then i would feel guilty because we did not do enough to support them. but the fact of the matter is that they only license about what, 20-30% of the anime and only choose those that they fully researched and expect to make a profit off of.
joshjoshlol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
But I am not mad at Geneon or Dentsu persay, I'm more mad at the fans and certain elements of the industry as a whole for the shallow excuses to not buy DVDs and overlooking what now I see fansubs as a detriment to the industry and fandom. This is why now I am anti-fansub and dedicated to expressing my views about piracy and how fansubs are associated with it that so many people seem to ignore.

I'm sorry, but I need to interject here and clear something up. You actually find fault with the consumer base for the poor management and distribution methods of a company? You are actually willing to say that it is the consumers duty to sit there and (to borrow a prison term) "take it" from these companies with their overly priced, little substance DVD's and archaic methods of delivery (plus presumably complete aversion to digital means of distribution that don't give the consumer the you-know-what end of the stick)? Let me fill you in on a simple business idea:

If a company fails, it is its own fault.

Geneon licenses second- or third-rate shows in blind faith from japan (which makes up a considerable bulk of their old catalogue, with a few gems scattered about that sell well), puts them up on their website with a simple streamed trailer and some banners (and little else), and expects the consumer to go and buy a ($29.95 MSRP) DVD of this program, only to find it is of horrid quality, story-wise. Can we spot the problems in this? Are we so blinded by company loyalty and absurd moral high-grounding that you really expect the consumer to suck it up and complete the series they were tricked into buying, so that Geneon won't become bankrupt through licensing the entire run? Bull crap. The consumer has 2 inalienable rights: First and foremost, he has the right to know exactly what he is purchasing, including quality of said purchased item. And secondly, he has the right, as a consumer, to find better ways of acquiring said commodity should the company fail in its business plan. Other businesses understand this consumer/corporation dynamic, and bend over backwards to appease the consumer. So what, we should hold Geneon (and by association, all other licenser's) little baby hands and play along as the high moral consumers?

No. This is feeding the problem, and perpetuating the cycle of minimal innovation (in delivery/distribution), minimal quality (of releases), and maximum whining when the consumer wakes up and realizes just who is being taken for a ride.

Licensers are the ultimate cause of anime fansub piracy, because they want to be babied by their loyal consumer base. Well, sorry, too bad, they found out the hard way that we're not all saints who will withstand punishment for our morals. They deserve to be pushed to the wayside if they can't come up with a reasonable business plan to compete with fansubbers. That's the nature of economics, and that's the universal truth for any company, ever. It's not the 1990's anymore, and we are not glued to VHS releases of only the best of what japan has to offer and 8th generation fansubs that take 6 months to complete. Wise up, or wash out... that's the grim reality that licensers need to realize that they are facing.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Im kinda disapointed in this survey. I don't think I can really awnser the first question unless and if was included after the option: "Fansubs are always okay". As is it totally sidesteps the key issues surrounding fansubs.

It really is totally irrelevant what stage of licencing it is at. What matters is that it is either an anime that will in all likely hood will never be licenced (in which case download away) or it is an anime that stands at least a decent chance of being licenced. In that case it really doesn't matter whether it actually has been licenced yet or not. If you go ahead and see it fansubbed and that prevents you from buying it once it is licenced, it really doesn't make a difference if you actually saw it before it was licenced. You might as well have seen it fansubbed after the DVDs were available. The end result is the same.

The real question is one of whether it is okay to download depending on what action you take once it is available for sale.
conankudo4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:28 pm Reply with quote
In all honesty, it's really not the fault of fansubs at all in this, it's the fault of the late geneon USA and their poor (putting it nicely there) methods of "dubbing anime."

As it was mentioned about 2 posts above mine, Geneon had a notorious habit of taking C or B grade series in Japan, and actually make them worse. That doesn't hold for all of their series (Don't get me wrong, I loved their work for When They Cry) but they had series like Shounen Onmyouji, Disgaea, Tenjho Tenge, and others that were actually somewhat good series, and butchered them with:

A: Bad voice acting (seriously, everyone in Shounen Onmyouji had some kind of off accent in Ancient Japan)

B: Weak editing for the already bad voice acting, which just creates a terrible concoction (I noticed that alot of the series I bought still had the japanese slang mixed in with the english dubbing, which made no sense at all.)

C: Poor animation Quality (I don't know about the rest of you, and this might just be the perfectionist talking in me, but when I buy an anime, I would at least appreciate it if the series was at least on par with the highest quality stuff on computer at least. Seriously, If a bunch of ameteurs can pull it off in a few days, you can easily handle it in a few months.)

D: Bad release dates (they had all of them kind of mixed together, releasing each DVD every three months, which was ridiculous if you combine it with E...)

E: Expensive prices ($20-30 for a four to five episode DVD. If you take all the reasons above, and I had to choose between Disgaea DVD 1 and Black Cat DVD 1from FuNiMation , assuming both were the same prices, ignoring your opinion on these series, which would you choose? Not a hard choice really. I honestly think that Geneon was easily at the bottom when it came to quality in my opinion, if I could get something multiple times better from FuNimation, ADV, or even Viz then yea..)

To sum it up, Geneon USA dug their own grave by making crap dubs at a pathetic rate in the hopes of maximizing their income, and thusly died off. Does this change my view of the anime industry as a whole? Of course not. I like the majority of the anime companies out there, and geneon was just a money whore within that legitimate business. I think it's actually a good thing they died, because it shows what happens to companies that try to make sub-par work and charge high prices.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9