• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNtv - Mamiko Noto interview

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:58 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
I also enjoyed her portrayal of Ayano in Girl's High

I still wonder why she replaced her senpai as Ayano.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
james039

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:02 pm Reply with quote
In the blood+ interviews, the audio was remarkably disjointed, I found it incredibly hard to listen to since the original Japanese guy would start talking, be cut into by someone speaking in English, and then the Japanese/English cuts into itself frequently. Immensely distracting, and I guess in sony's case, they need to work on their audio editing.

The Mamiko Noto interview was excellent, so thank you for that! Very Happy
Pocky_aDDict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
Too bad the Blood+ interviews were dubbed over. It was almost hard to listen to...

And I wouldn't have expected the Noto interview to be focused on her music work so much (she seemed to have be surprised by that with her ending comments as well). She's much more revered by her voice acting work than her singing work in the seiyuu fan community.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:22 am Reply with quote
That's the first seiyu interview I've seen in a while. Awesome, but I swear, how many Japanese seiyu speak English out there?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:17 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:
That's the first seiyu interview I've seen in a while. Awesome, but I swear, how many Japanese seiyu speak English out there? :?

I've only met a couple. Akira Kamiya speaks some English, but not all that much. On the other hand, Maya Okamato is damn near fluent, and was a lot of fun to meet as a result-- it made her a lot more accessible to those of us not proficient in Japanese.

There's also Mari Ijima, of course, but she's been out of the business for quite some time...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
Vicserr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Very good ep, and the Mamiko Noto interview was very interesting.

Also an interesting move by Sony to include a preview of Blood + on 30 days of Night (vampire anime on horror movies isn't that far off), too bad Sony has bungled another release with dubtitles... Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
legendfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
I've only met a couple. Akira Kamiya speaks some English, but not all that much. On the other hand, Maya Okamato is damn near fluent, and was a lot of fun to meet as a result-- it made her a lot more accessible to those of us not proficient in Japanese.

There's also Mari Ijima, of course, but she's been out of the business for quite some time...

Hmm... I thought that if since Mamiko is pretty prolific in the industry, then her status and popularity in the English-speaking community would probably give her some English.

Maya Okamato is, then again pretty experienced, so she must be pretty prolific to pick up our language. SIGH... if more fans watched it subbed instead of dubbed Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
legendfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

Hmm... I thought that if since Mamiko is pretty prolific in the industry, then her status and popularity in the English-speaking community would probably give her some English.

Maya Okamoto is, then again pretty experienced, so she must be pretty prolific to pick up our language. SIGH... if more fans watched it subbed instead of dubbed Crying or Very sad
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:33 am Reply with quote
legendfunk wrote:

This isn't like pop singers. "Popularity" for non-english voice actors in the English-speaking anime community is only a few thousand people, only a few hundred of which will be fervent fans. What's more, they'll never get an English part if the even have a whisper of an accent left, and those jobs pay less than the Japanese ones. Even pop singers have a slim to zero chance of ever getting US distribution of their music (especially these days). There's simply no reason for a Japanese voice actor to learn English.

Okamoto likely learned English for other reasons.
legendfunk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This isn't like pop singers. "Popularity" for non-english voice actors in the English-speaking anime community is only a few thousand people, only a few hundred of which will be fervent fans. What's more, they'll never get an English part if the even have a whisper of an accent left, and those jobs pay less than the Japanese ones. Even pop singers have a slim to zero chance of ever getting US distribution of their music (especially these days). There's simply no reason for a Japanese voice actor to learn English.

Okamoto likely learned English for other reasons.

Oh well, I was just thinking. I mean many OP/ED for anime rendomly swap between English and Japanese mid-sentence, like the OP for Jigoku Shojo Hell Girl and Back-on's "Chain" in Air Gear, so does that mean many might not know what they're saying?
bci110

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
Just watched the podcast this morning on my iPod. Excellent job with the Mamiko Noto interview, guys! Such a classy lady and what a sweet voice! Mamiko-sama truly is a voice-acting goddess! Cool
legendfunk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:03 am Reply with quote
bci110 wrote:
Just watched the podcast this morning on my iPod. Excellent job with the Mamiko Noto interview, guys! Such a classy lady and what a sweet voice! Mamiko-sama truly is a voice-acting goddess! Cool

I'll raise my glass to that though
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2