• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Apparel Maker Mythwear Formally Out of Business

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I looked at one of their Hellsing bags in Tokyotoys once. Didn't want to buy it- the big cross on it could have sent out the wrong sort of message.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shoujogirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Aww! I wish I had known about it!! Crying or Very sad I can't find anime goods ANYWHERE!
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:18 pm Reply with quote
You know what this means. If you see a myth bag at a con GET IT! They are rarer by the day now. I had a FMA one that long since wore out but I still have the flap with the logo and turned it into a bumflap.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I looked at one of their Hellsing bags in Tokyotoys once. Didn't want to buy it- the big cross on it could have sent out the wrong sort of message.

Yeah you have to be careful now and days. There are still groups of people that are ignorant and may beat a person senseless for being diffrent.

Got to be careful in today's world, that ones does.
Elves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:08 pm Reply with quote
That sucks. It's so unfair when the downfall of anyone/thing isn't really the person's/company's fault. The Musicland fiasco hit a lot of anime companies. I mean, where else could you find anime titles/merchandise in a brick and mortor store? For now there's Best Buy, but when I was first starting out in fandom their selection anime was squat - if the store had any at all.

This so sucks for Mythwear. *sigh* I guess I held out too long to buy that Fruits Basket bag I've been eyeing for years. Anime smile;;
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
My second (I think?) year of college--probably about six months to a year before the company website went down--I bought one of their Fullmetal Alchemist bags for my college bookbag. It's been stuffed full of college books to it's limit, dragged around college and cons, thrown, tossed on the floor, tripped over countless times, and who knows what else...and it STILL looks great and functions perfectly. I've been really, really missing this company--my FMA bag is probably one of my favorite items of anime-related merchandise. I'm sort of hoping that someday, some company will come to fill the gap left behind by them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeCornerStore
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:10 am Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
Yes, it seems the anime community is still feeling the ripples in the wake of the Musicland debacle. All anime related companies lost lots of money and unfortunately some couldn't survive. That's business for ya. Confused

I'm glad Jean finally went public with an explanation. I really feel for him, but businesses come and go and I'm sure he will do well in the future. You try, you fail, you try again. That's life.

At the same time, don't blame the MusicLand failure for the industry's woes. It's the companies fault for over-extending themselves by giving too much credit and/or too liberal terms to a single client without properly evaluating the risks. Sometimes management gets big googoo eyes over a huge order or mass market client, and starts thinking about how much money they will make rather that evaluate if they might be extending too much of their business to one single client or market segment. It's a fairly common mistake among small companies with inexperienced management (and I'm thinking about companies like ADV and TokyoPop here, not Mythwear).

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:54 am Reply with quote
Jean's a sweetheart. Glad to now he's feeling better.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
AnimeCornerStore wrote:

Sometimes management gets big googoo eyes over a huge order or mass market client, and starts thinking about how much money they will make rather that evaluate if they might be extending too much of their business to one single client or market segment. It's a fairly common mistake among small companies with inexperienced management (and I'm thinking about companies like ADV and TokyoPop here, not Mythwear).

Bob (aka Robert)
The Anime Corner Store

Do you think they were doing something like net 90 terms with them for their big holiday orders? I understand those big box stores are really in a different league in terms of payment plans, etc.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
I bought a Mythwear FMA bag a while back at an Otakon. I've been planning to get an Evangelion bag with the Nerv logo on it. I better find a place where it's still in stock.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2