• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga-style comics

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
machomuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:31 pm Reply with quote
EireformContinent wrote:
VinceA wrote:
My lexicon....

Manga = Made in Japan initially for a Japanese audience
Comics, Graphic Novel = Made in America for a basically American audience.

Europe doesn't like that.

Manga for Japanese, comics for everything, including manga.

That's what I believe. In my perspective a manga is a comic book, but a comic book isn't necessarily a manga.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:35 pm Reply with quote
"Manga" is a loanword. It should denote comics from Japan. I don't exactly buy the style argument, as several artists in Japan have created manga that is highly influenced--even indistinguishable--from an American comic. It doesn't revoke their status as manga; it just makes them different. But anybody would immediately reject that a Superman or Captain America comic is manga, even if the artist/author is highly influenced by manga. It doesn't even have to be art; just storytelling, set-up, etc.

Basically, I follow the belief that manga (as a loanword, not a Japanese word) are comics originally published in Japan for a Japanese audience. The race of the artist or the art style plays no role. Comics, as an English word, include everything. American/European comics highly influenced by manga are still comics.

machomuu wrote:

That's what I believe. In my perspective a manga is a comic book, but a comic book isn't necessarily a manga.

I think the phrase "Europe doesn't like that" was aimed at the fact that the poster put only American comic, effectively leaving out the rest of the world. Wink
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The "world-manga" concept is a good idea, even though I voted "Call it a comic book, that's what it is". While the term manga(漫画), when used in Japan, refers to all sorts of comics, "manga", as identified in the West(in which the scenario takes place), refers to a specific format of comics. If one is consciously attempting to emulate that style(which is designated by unique artistic characteristics, back-to-front printing, and traditional reading directions, settings etc), than it should be noted, because it originated in Japan, by the Japanese, and for the Japanese. Also, I think that as a creator or business, when trying to market something which is niche and passed its explosion, you should label it; especially if trying to reach a certain audience.

That's my take on it.

While I couldn't vote for more than one, "Call it a comic book, that's what it is." and "Call it World-Manga (OE, Global-Manga, etc...)" are the two options I agree with most.
machetecat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I dont'.... really care.

When manga was first coming out, it was in the graphic novel section of the bookstore, and the employees would look at me with confusion when I asked where the manga was.

Since then, I haven't really cared what people call manga, comics, japanese-influenced-comics.... etc. I usually interchange between calling Japanese comics Manga and Comics. Just point me to where the bookstores have put the book.

If we really gotta give them a name, I would just go with Graphic Novels. I've always been a fan of that term.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:47 pm Reply with quote
If it's made in Japan, it's manga.
If it's made in South Korea, it's manhwa.
If it's made in the USA, it's a comic book or graphic novel or (in the case of internet) a webcomic.

In the immortal words of the Top Gear trio: How hard can it be?
Altorrin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Call it a manga-influenced comic, or just a comic. Or if you don't want to imply comedic newspaper strips, call 'em graphic novels, my favorite term. This is one of my hugest pet peeves. A manga is a comic published in Japan, intended for a Japanese audience. It is not like "pizza" as Svetlana Chmakova and her fans like to claim. It is not about "the ingredients", because it's not about style. Big sparkly eyes + small nose + wacky facial expressions =/= manga. If that were the case, a hell of a lot of manga would not be manga.

And just because something "isn't manga" doesn't mean it's automatically worse! There are plenty of non-Japanese comics that are better than plenty of manga. Too many people get offended when you say something isn't manga, when it's just stating facts. Have some pride in your country!

[/rant]
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:19 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
I'm with Chris, although I guess this poll isn't quite targeted at people like me. In CJK the characters are the same, and -hua, -hwa, -ga is like "po-tay-to" and "po-tah-to" to any native CJK speaker. In practice, bookstores gather them altogether as long as it's a licensed title, not an import.

Very much similar to Dormat, I entirely agree with Tempest/Mr. Macdonald stated. Manga to me is comics made in Japan. Comics made elsewhere should just be called that, comics.

My vote was "don't label it", although I really don't mind if people call it a comic. As long as it's not done in a insulating way.

I've only been reading manga since 2006 and have been (officially) been watching anime for now almost 11 years as well, so while I do have years of experience in hobby, I haven't been doing this nearly as long as neither Dormcat (most likely) or Tempest.

I will say this, world manga is a great concept though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Kamikaze Ghost wrote:
In Japanese, manga refers to comics from anywhere (though they commonly use "comics" for American comics). However, in the English language, manga refers to only comics from Japan, so calling any manga-style comics manga would be wrong by the English definition. Just call it a manga-style comic.

see, just switch that around for Japan....

In America, comics refers to manga from anywhere (though they commonly use "manga" for Japanese manga). However, in the Japanese language, comics refers to only manga from the west, so calling any comics-style manga comic would be wrong by the Japanese definition. Just call it a comics-style manga.

Imagine some guy in Japan, he runs a manga shop. In his manga shop he has a display of (american/British/western) "comics" in the corner, but he's got this 24 page, full color, glossy, 6 5/8" x 10 ¼" flimsy paper book about superheroes done entirely by a Japanese author, artist, and a Japanese publisher (I wonder if these are common at all?) Might he put these in the comics section instead of with the rest of the manga? Probably not.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
If it's made in the USA, it's a comic book or graphic novel or (in the case of internet) a webcomic.

Pretty much. Though, "Graphic Novel" is terribly misused in this day and age. People and creators use it because they feel 'comics' have a stigma attached to it, so they're insecure and use graphic novel instead, when they're not graphic novels. Graphic novels are specific things: novels that are graphic. They were made as a, usually standalone novel that are told in graphic form originally. They are not collections of floppy comic issues bound together: that is a trade paperback.

But I thought people were already using that "OEL" word or whatever for American manga imitator or whatever.

And I can tell you they definitely differentiate between US comics and manga in Japan.
GregorJustGregor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I really do not care what these works should be called but the fact "Western" artists are creating art that is heavily influenced by Manga and other Japanese art forms is an interesting development in both the graphic novels and art.

Back in the 1990's Artists in Japan played with a style called "Japan-quese" in which they would take traditional Japanese art styles, works of art and look at them with "Western" perspective then create artwork for Japanese Art consumers based on the merging of two completely different styles. "Western" artists are being inspired by "Japanese" style artworks and are repeating the process in reverse.

I don't know if works created should be called "manga" but maybe it concerned a genre instead, perhaps "Gaijin-quese"
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
I think Scott Pilgrim's creator Brian Lee O'Malley best answered this question when he said that his work was "manga influenced comics". Its not OEL, it's not manga, its just a comic that happens to be influenced by the creator's interest in manga. So, in short, my answer is that we should call it comics.

I agree with this right here.
The way I see it, if it didn't originate from/ or was published in Japan, then it technically shouldn't be called a manga.

Last edited by MasterKingJC on Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:43 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

Pretty much. Though, "Graphic Novel" is terribly misused in this day and age. People and creators use it because they feel 'comics' have a stigma attached to it, so they're insecure and use graphic novel instead, when they're not graphic novels. Graphic novels are specific things: novels that are graphic. They were made as a, usually standalone novel that are told in graphic form originally. They are not collections of floppy comic issues bound together: that is a trade paperback.

But I thought people were already using that "OEL" word or whatever for American manga imitator or whatever.

And I can tell you they definitely differentiate between US comics and manga in Japan.

Exactly. The term graphic novel is not only misused, but it's a very broad term as well. My college math statistics textbook is could be considered a graphic novel, as not only does this book have graphics, but it also goes into graphic detail on math (if it didn't, that would rather pointless).

Plasti Dip (this is industrial grade rubberized coating company) material safety data sheet (MSDS) could be considered a graphic novel, as there are images, goes into graphic detail and could be considered a novel, given that it's rather short and to the point, similar to some novels in the past and present.

So you can see where I am coming from and the term graphic novel should not be used loosely ever.

Sunday Silence post was exceptional with his point. From Japan=manga. South Korea=manhwa.

USA= Comic book/graphic novel, but if it's produced online, it's called a webcomic. It's really that easy. This is similar to the differences between algorithms and logarithms. Very simple and very concise.
machomuu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:03 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:

machomuu wrote:

I think the phrase "Europe doesn't like that" was aimed at the fact that the poster put only American comic, effectively leaving out the rest of the world. Wink
I was more referring to the rest of the post.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:18 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
I now define manga as "comic books created by Japanese people." It's a nice, virtually black and white definition.
[...]
BTW, for ANN purposes, this is also the definition we adhere to. For our purposes, anything less than a black and white definition would create lots of headache.

Manga Messiah is one that still gives me a headache. Unlike the other Manga Bible books by "Siku" it was written and illustrated by Japanese people, in Japanese (although obviously based on a book originally written in Hebrew and Greek), but seemingly commissioned and intended primarily for an American audience - although it was also released in Japan. At time time I got the book I spent some time trying to find information on the authors and I don't recall getting very far and never did come to a decision on whether it counted as "manga" and this eligible for inclusion on ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote
When the word "manga" comes up in the shows I subtitle, I always translate it as "comic book(s)" since that what it is.

In my opinion, the only reason manga is known as manga in the west is to distinguish the Japanese comics from comics made in your own country, much like western comics are called コミックス komikkusu to distinguish them from the comics made in their own country.

Therefore, even if an artist in a different country draws their comic "manga-style", it should still be called a comic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4