• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundams and Pepsi

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mitsukino_Usagi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 2:10 am Reply with quote
Aww I wish the gundams came in Vanilla Coke Sad the only soda I like...
Neardawg1979

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:25 am Reply with quote
Personally I hate cola and lime mixed together, but I want to get my hands on these. About those Phantom Menace soda, I had a bunch of them. Then I said to myself "What am I gonna do with soda cans with Jar-jar printed on them?" So I drank it and threw the cans away. But a little gundam figure would go nicely with my collection of Gundam model kits. I love building those.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:21 pm Reply with quote
This is sounding an awful lot like the "no Pokemon cards at school" controversy here in America. Surprised
Arex-kun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Didn't those FF ones that were on the Coke bottles become collectors items aswell? I fail to see the distinction between the two promotions, unless this is a new law.
ajm222

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
Emerje wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
This almost makes me want to drink soda. Almost...

(I hate carbonated beverages)

If more places made and sold caffinated water I would never drink soda again. Confused

Emerje

Agreed, even though I'm currently hooked on A&W Root Beer and Diet Coke with Lime, Laughing

Together? Very Happy
Honestly though, I like mixing sodas. My dad does this thing at fast food restaurants where he puts a bunch of random sodas in a cup and drinks it. He calls it a "suicide." I've had some decent mixes.

If the packaging is transparent, people will take all the popular characters. That makes it a pain to try and collect all of them. Sad It's like what happened with McDonald's and Beanie Babies. People had to run all over town and into other cities just to get certain ones.
Then they end up giving all the Happy Meals to the homeless people outside. Rolling Eyes
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote
umm... so how do toy vending machines work in Japan? isn't it the same thing?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
This almost makes me want to drink soda. Almost...

(I hate carbonated beverages)

I'm supposing you hate carbonated beverages because of the fact that it makes you burp, or hiccup when you first drink it (it does that to me on occasion)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:19 am Reply with quote
Because a newer news post about this contest prompting some kinda gambling problems in Japan links to it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Because a newer news post about this contest prompting some kinda gambling problems in Japan links to it. Razz

Oh, okay. I could care less about the promo, as I think Pepsi sucks. Flat taste coupled with no-talent hacks endorsing it (with the exception of Mari Iijima). Give me Rockstar Energy Drink any day of the week.

BTW, Gundam is the only promo affected? Pepsi/Suntory did similar promos with Star Wars and The Incredibles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
I could care less about the promo, as I think Pepsi sucks. Flat taste coupled with no-talent hacks endorsing it (with the exception of Mari Iijima). Give me Rockstar Energy Drink any day of the week.

which is basically just bastardized Red Bull

...but we're getting off topic here.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:12 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
umm... so how do toy vending machines work in Japan? isn't it the same thing?

Pretty much, but I think they way they're seeing it is that you're being forced to buy the soda whether you want it or not. The prize machines you're paying for your chance at solely the item or a game with a prize involved. There's also a law in Japan that says that you can't buy prize items first hand, you can only win them (yes, turning a crank on a machine is considered winning a game in Japan), they may see the Pepsi case as buying a prize item since people are doing it more for the figure than the actual soda. Problem is that by adding the window they'll actually be increasing the value as it'll promote scalping where people will buy the rare figures to resell with a high markup while people who actually want these rare figures to keep have lost their chance at getting one unless they're either lucky enough to find one in a store or give in to the aftermarket prices.

They really should have just left things alone, it's no different than cereal prizes or blind boxed trading figures or a package of trading cards.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:51 pm Reply with quote
and that brings up another question... do they have cereal box prizes in Japan? given this law, i can't seeing it being possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2