• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Stream Naruto on Naruto.com Within 1 Week of Japanese Airing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
I'm still wondering if the show will be dubbed at all, considering the treatment Naruto got after they canceled Toonami. Going from two episodes every week, to one episode every two weeks doesn't speak well for the show's chances to continue on TV. But I suppose its a good thing in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:33 am Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I'm still wondering if the show will be dubbed at all, considering the treatment Naruto got after they canceled Toonami. Going from two episodes every week, to one episode every two weeks doesn't speak well for the show's chances to continue on TV.

Not on CN anyway. Too bad Naruto is such an incredibly niche title that they will be completely unable to shop it around, and have to start airing the dub immediately after wiinami finishes the first season run.

While I agree this streaming is great news and all, at that schedule it will take three months to catch up to the current point, which means five months to RE-catch up. Though before hitting submit on a request to start earlier, I should probably consider that if they did start earlier, folks like me would skip it anyway because the first series wasn't over yet .... drat.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
My mom told me about this a couple weeks... (she tells me top serect Viz info all the time... I can't spill otherwise I'd get in big trouble). I didn't expect the annoucemnt to come so soon... really... I was expecting next month or Janurary. I can't wait for it.
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
LuckySeven wrote:
I'm still wondering if the show will be dubbed at all, considering the treatment Naruto got after they canceled Toonami. Going from two episodes every week, to one episode every two weeks doesn't speak well for the show's chances to continue on TV. But I suppose its a good thing in the end.

It will be, Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke), Liam O'Brien (Gaara and ADR script editor) and Skip Stellrecht (Gai) have all given hints that it will be dubbed. Liam gave the biggest hint I think, he said he's been busy as hell and to get ready for Shippuden baby!

I only hope they don't release one a week, that will take ages, hopefully boxsets of uncut releases and not 4 episodes every 4 months Rolling Eyes
bayoab

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Within a week? Why can't they do it in the same week, like Gonzo is doing with Linebarrels of Iron?

Within a week means the same week.

Quote:

the fansubbers (Read: The cancer that is killing anime) have already subbed it,

The fans themselves are the cancer as the next post shows.

Quote:
(Mixing languages, eye-distracting crazy fonts, karaoke subtitles, etc.).

Might want to take a look what Viz did on Naruto, Death Note on hulu, and Death Note on hulu respectively...

Quote:
(Why the hell they haven't done this sooner is beyond me.)
Trying to get Japan to agree to anything new is like trying to get a rock to move. Gonzo (and probably others) have given that rock enough of a push that is has begun to roll.

Last edited by bayoab on Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total
bluebella

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Not buying it.

That'll stop about half the people from watching it because its in USa and Canada region.

So it won't really stop fansubbing till everyone can view it- and anyway, a week is too long.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Oh what a supirse, legal method, legal red tape magicaly denying me the chance to watch anything.

Here's an idea, the fansubsers arn't bound to this utter nonsence and nether should they, given it's the WORLD WIDE WEB.

I hope this plan fails.
craziplaya21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:11 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
I bet on day one all the fansub snots will have at least a million new excuses. Don't like the fonts, no karaoke opening text, a week is too long, not stealing ruins the "rebel-without-a-clue" factor, must be mistranslated because the F-Bomb is missing, isn't on a pirate website with the community they love... Did I miss anything? ... ingrates.

yes, you did miss something

although what youve said are all true, the most important factor is streaming video quality will never be comparable to the fansubbed video file releases
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:18 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Oh what a supirse, legal method, legal red tape magicaly denying me the chance to watch anything.

Here's an idea, the fansubsers arn't bound to this utter nonsence and nether should they, given it's the WORLD WIDE WEB.

I hope this plan fails.

craziplaya21 wrote:
yes, you did miss something

although what youve said are all true, the most important factor is streaming video quality will never be comparable to the fansubbed video file releases

And so it begins.

Anyone who has checked out Hulu.com knows that streaming can be surprisingly high quality these days. Is it the same thing as a well-encoded H264 video? Not quite, but it's getting close at this point. I also feel the issue may be moot as a lot of the fansub consumers are watching on Youtube and similar sites which re-encode/downscale to such a degree that it'd be hard to find something worse looking.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:19 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Within a week? Why can't they do it in the same week, like Gonzo is doing with Linebarrels of Iron?

Within a week means the same week.

I meant the same day. (Just edited my post)

Quote:
Quote:
(Why the hell they haven't done this sooner is beyond me.)
Trying to get Japan to agree to anything new is like trying to get a rock to move. Gonzo (and probably others) have given that rock enough of a push that is has begun to roll.

Why does that have to be the case? Why can't Japan grow some balls and stop being so static and unresponsive to change? Or do we have to FORCE them to?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:21 am Reply with quote
*face palms and shakes head at the comments four posts ago*

Anyways, it's nice to see that another R1 company has shortened the gap even further (not including Gonzo since they're technically not releasing this as a R1 company). I'm going through Naruto at fairly slow pace right now (Canada's wading through fillers at the moment), so it doesn't affect me all that much right now. Regardless, nice move by Viz.

I anticipate that Bleach won't be too far behind in this regard, as well. Or at least it'd very likely be the next title to be given this style of release.

Last edited by Buster Blader 126 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Why does that have to be the case? Why can't Japan grow some balls and stop being so static and unresponsive to change? Or do we have to FORCE them to?

I don't like how unwilling to change some of these companies are either. A lot of things like this are opportunity waiting to happen. That said, is it not a little arrogant to think it's our place to tell them what to do with THEIR product? I mean, if you paint something or write a song and I enjoy what you made, do I have a right to steal it from you and redistribute it against your wishes and against the law JUST because you don't want to give me it for free anyway?
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:26 am Reply with quote
vtnwesley wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

I don't like how unwilling to change some of these companies are either. A lot of things like this are opportunity waiting to happen. That said, is it not a little arrogant to think it's our place to tell them what to do with THEIR product? I mean, if you paint something or write a song and I enjoy what you made, do I have a right to steal it from you and redistribute it against your wishes and against the law JUST because you don't want to give me it for free anyway?

I'm all for doing things legally as much as the next guy, but even then, the Japanese companies still need a kick in the ass and a punch in the gut now and then to get them to man up and change. If they stay in the past, they're fucked. They need to live in the future.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:35 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
I'm all for doing things legally as much as the next guy, but even then, the Japanese companies still need a kick in the ass and a punch in the gut now and then to get them to man up and change. If they stay in the past, they're fucked. They need to live in the future.

All things considered, this seems like a Japanese company swallowing it's pride and offering way more than they probably think is sane. I'd say we have some progress in this. I do not disagree with your statement, but it's really a sentiment than a solution. "They need to live in the future, not stay in the past" doesn't actually mean anything. They are being stolen from. "Live in the future" is not really going to fix that. I have no doubt we will probably see more of these kinds of releases, but after this, if it's not good enough, expect some company closures and/or "the future" being severe DRM or heavily Americanized releases. They won't let militant thieves control their business for long.
JediJaina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
sanosuke32 wrote:
LuckySeven wrote:

It will be, Yuri Lowenthal (Sasuke), Liam O'Brien (Gaara and ADR script editor) and Skip Stellrecht (Gai) have all given hints that it will be dubbed. Liam gave the biggest hint I think, he said he's been busy as hell and to get ready for Shippuden baby!

I only hope they don't release one a week, that will take ages, hopefully boxsets of uncut releases and not 4 episodes every 4 months Rolling Eyes

Maile posted on her MySpace on October 28th that she has started recording Shippuden so they will not be changing the English VA for Naruto. It's not a hint, they've already started.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=44647860&blogID=444489228
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7