• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Akihabara Café Sells Instant Ramen Served by Idols

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostShell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't see much difference between this and paying x number of dollars to get a photo taken or autograph with an "idol" at a convention. Just a different degree of adulation.
Doktor1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:13 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
Say what you will, but I'm always impressed by the Japanese zero hesitation to turn a buck off of something if there's extra money to be made.

Personally, if I'm going to pay a woman to chat with me there will be alcohol, nudity, and a lap dance involved as well, but hey, do what works.

GET MONEY!!!!

Funny I was thinking the same thing!

The idols aren't really that hot anyways my Girlfriend is hotter than they are ahaha! I'll stick to California thank you very much
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:15 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
800 yen for a cup of instant ramen probably served by some desperate idol no one's heard of... This is why the birth rate is dropping.

Yeah that and a big phenomenon in Japan called Herbivore Men/boy. This is causing men in Japan not interested in women and sex. I think the Herbivore Men phenomenon is probably causing the low birth rate in Japan.

There's a misunderstanding here. Aside from pointing out women who are now much more selective and more self-reliant--they too can get by with boyfriends instead of husbands, this UK comment on this Japanese issue from this article accurately describes the reality:
Quote:

I never lost interest in sex. I lost interest in relationships, which became more complicated, demanding & pointless the older I became. I love women, love being around them - but I have no desire to be tied to one. These days if the tank needs emptying I would much rather seek out a like minded female partner (prepared to live her own life instead of interferring in mine), engage the services of a professional or do it manually.

Sleep well in the (No, you are definately NOT worth it) fire.

I've also mentioned before how the popular focus on Japan is odd because they certainly aren't alone I mean why not focus on Germany who's birthrate is also low, has a slight population decline, and one of several countries where prostitution is legal (a classy business even). Those European countries and Russia is experiencing it (some worse) and while the government recognizes it the people themselves aren't too worried as evidenced by commercials like this Very Happy
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
v1cious wrote:
800 yen for a cup of instant ramen probably served by some desperate idol no one's heard of... This is why the birth rate is dropping.

Start with the normal factors that push down birth rates in high income countries, and add the impossible expectations that still apply to wives, even if they are pursuing a career, that would seem to pretty much explain the low birth rate ...

Not surprisingly, Japan has few women among political and business leaders, making up just 11% of lower house members in the Diet and 1% of corporate leaders, according to a government report.

The paucity of women in senior roles is often cited as a reason for the country’s relatively poor provision of daycare, itself touted as a contributing factor in Japan’s declining birthrate as women put off motherhood in favor of pursuing their careers.

configspace wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
v1cious wrote:

Yeah that and a big phenomenon in Japan called Herbivore Men/boy. This is causing men in Japan not interested in women and sex. I think the Herbivore Men phenomenon is probably causing the low birth rate in Japan.

There's a misunderstanding here. Aside from pointing out women who are now much more selective and more self-reliant--they too can get by with boyfriends instead of husbands, this UK comment on this Japanese issue from this article accurately describes the reality:
Quote:

I never lost interest in sex. I lost interest in relationships, which became more complicated, demanding & pointless the older I became. I love women, love being around them - but I have no desire to be tied to one. These days if the tank needs emptying I would much rather seek out a like minded female partner (prepared to live her own life instead of interferring in mine), engage the services of a professional or do it manually.

Sleep well in the (No, you are definately NOT worth it) fire.

The BBC piece Young Japanese 'decline to fall in love' even goes further, just too much effort in even maintaining a partner. Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Retail Rule No. 1: The customer is always right.

Retail Rule No. 2: When the customer is obviously wrong, see Rule No.1.

This would have been more news worthy if it reported that there wasn't a ramen café served by idols in Akibra. Laughing
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:40 am Reply with quote
http://kotaku.com/5879101/selecting-an-idol-from-a-vending-machine/gallery/1

Quote:
Today, some of the first idols were high schooler Ayano Hayashi, pin-up Mayuka Kuroda, and model Ayaka Nomde. Ayano Hayashi is notable for previously being involved with super idol group AKB48.

Obviously, different idols will be working on different days. No word on when idol Aki Higashihara will show up and unleash the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2