• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas Video Anime Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Knights of the Zodiac was a pretty cool shonen series, too bad I never got to see the ending of the series. The theme song was really interesting as well.

I wonder what year the original licenser of Knights of the Zodiac closed? I've been wanting to read the Knights of the zodiac manga for quite some time now.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Knights of the Zodiac was a pretty cool shonen series, too bad I never got to see the ending of the series. The theme song was really interesting as well.

I wonder what year the original licenser of Knights of the Zodiac closed? I've been wanting to read the Knights of the zodiac manga for quite some time now.

Trust me, Saint Seiya is much better. Knights of the Zodiac pretty much made me avoid it and Saint Seiya until I became a fan of Kurumada's creations through B't X and Ring ni Kakero 1.

DiC was bought and absorbed by the Cookie Jar Group this past July, so it's been relatively recent.

You can get the manga still, since Viz licensed the manga back when the DiC was making KotZ. Because of that, the manga uses the KotZ names (Princess Sienna instead of Saori Kido, Cancer Mephisto instead of Cancer Deathmask) and lingo (mainly using the word "Knights" instead of "Saints"). The nice thing, though, is that the artwork is left unedited, so it's more Saint Seiya than KotZ.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:

And CCSYueh, don't go using ADV Manga as an example of ADV not fully releasing titles. ADV Manga started off in the worst way possible by licensing a ton of titles through a licensing deal with Mag Garden and thinking that having a lot of titles would equal getting a lot of money. When it comes to anime ADV has been pretty consistent with releasing titles fully. Sure, there are times when they haven't released everything within a series, but that has happened to a number of other companies as well.

My issue with ADV is they seem to have short attention span which the ADV manga deal highlights beautifully. Was it Kurai Phantom Memory they licenced a year or 2 before they released it? I remember people here complaining about where was it?. I'm in the each studio sort of has a personality & ADV's is fanboy which is why they have a loyal following among some fans, but the downside is they license 10 bright shiny anime, but before they can release all the titles, there are more bright shiny animes dangling in their faces so they license more, so they chase after those & stuff gets lost in the shuffle.

It's the same issue I have with Drama Queen licensing a bunch of titles & never releasing any (we have a new release date on Tyrant which I pre-ordered back in 2006 or 2007). For my money it's where ADV got themselves in trouble-grabbing up everything they could when they probably would have been better to stick with fewer titles released with more attention. They were putting so much out there for awhile as though they were trying to flood the market with their stuff that they WERE flooding the market with their stuff & a lot of it seemed to get little promo attention from them. If they'd have promo'd Papuwa as they did Excel, I'd have been pre-buying it, but Papuwa seemed as though it were lost in the shuffle.

Lord Geo wrote:

ADV has wanted to do more Saint Seiya, as people within the company are also fans of the show.

It seems as though someone at ADV is a fan of every anime made. I've heard commentary with Greg Ayers where he'd say he was hitting up everyone that if ADV licensed XXXXX, he wanted to be in it. As I said, fanboy is sort of ADV's identity. They started as fans licensing what they liked, but they grew too fast or something.

Want an ear-full, just listen to the commentary on Saiyuki Requiem. ADV was VERY unhappy Geneon snagged Reload away from them & were very vocal about it. Actually Geneon's dub came far closer to the original Japanese VA's in pitch & delivery.

Lord Geo wrote:

I also think the fact that ADV is re-releasing the collections that were released back in early 2006, while leaving other older shows like Dunbine and City Hunter behind, shows that ADV still has hope in the anime. And with DiC gone, it's great to see any bit of Seiya being released.

City Hunter is lots of fun. Wasn't it sub-only? (or maybe I just listened to it subbed)
Dunbine was just painful
If ADV believes in Seiya as much as you think they do, I would think they'd try to get the Hades Chapter stuff. We had a bit of Sanctuary left to go, but then we had that long filler arc (Odin) before the shorter Poseidon arc & the end of the tv series, so Hades could be sold with a minor synopsis or obviously a pitch to buy what ADV DID release & a synopsis to cover what's missing.

I still don't trust ADV.
I waited for Sgt Frog. Tactics.
I've sat in on their panels at con & heard their grand talk. They promised the manga line would revive this year or the year before at Comic-con. They promise more than they can deliver. Maybe not deliberately deceptive, but even with the best intentions, they need to stick with what they can deliver & not their dreams or fantasies. Put the money where the mouth is.
Otherwise it's too easy to dismiss as "I can tell you're lying. Your lips are moving"
Ambrogino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:45 am Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
If ADV believes in Seiya as much as you think they do, I would think they'd try to get the Hades Chapter stuff. We had a bit of Sanctuary left to go, but then we had that long filler arc (Odin) before the shorter Poseidon arc & the end of the tv series, so Hades could be sold with a minor synopsis or obviously a pitch to buy what ADV DID release & a synopsis to cover what's missing.

I'm a Saint Seiya fan but I've got to say, even with a plot synopsis Hades is a hard sell to new viewers. It's straight into the action, with absolutely no explanation of who the characters are or how they interact, several guys change sides, etc. "Wait, so those guys are dead and good, but now bad working with the dead bad guys who are still bad? All of whom got killed by the good guys who are alive? So the guy that looks like a girl wearing armour with breasts is actually another guy with red hair, only he isn't really?"

It's a shame, because the animation and art design is worlds above the original series, but I honestly don't thik it would sell to people who aren't already fans of the series - which have been shown to probably not be enough to support it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2