• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Rise of Super Robot Island

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Question for anyone who knows, is this the live action movie that he disowned? The one you can get on TRSI for $4? If it is, I might be adding it to my next order.
shukero

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:21 pm Reply with quote
ooohh man! That youtube video... I haven't laughed that hard probably SINCE THE 80's xD

oohhhh man! THANK YOU for that video! you made my day!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of Gear Fighter Dendoh, I'm nearly finished watching the boxset of that show (found it at a Tokyo Life store). It's a fun little anime, and I know the cast appeared in one of the SRW games.

Frankly speaking, my list of giant robot shows is pretty small considering I haven't seen that many throughout my life.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:21 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Question for anyone who knows, is this the live action movie that he disowned? The one you can get on TRSI for $4? If it is, I might be adding it to my next order.

No, I'm sure that Mike was referring to the anime movie, Hakuchu no Zangetsu/The Lingering Moon of Midday. It was made after the 2004 TV series and is an alternate-storyline that doesn't seem to follow the same timeline as the TV series.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
To me, the way to bring back these guys is to give the stuff that made them great in the first place - the larger than life heroes, the over-the-top special attacks - a fresh coat of paint, a la the new Mazinger Z series. What do you say, readers?

Shin Mazinger was amazing. I loved that series and hope it gets a sequel. New Getter Robo was also really cool. I would love to see Japan produce more anime series like this.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Wait, Nozomi is re-releasing Nadeisco? When did this news happen, this is the first I've heard of it!

Last summer I believe. And they're including the Gekiganger 3 OVA. I'm wondering if they'll get the cast back together to dub it. Because damn it, if Gekiganger's dub wasn't awesome.

Quote:
Here's a show - not really a show, just a set of commercial footage that's been packaged as a pilot film - that fondly reminisces about those great old robot heroes by reinventing them as adorable tween girls.

Damn commercials and false advertising. I thought it was a real series.

Quote:
The franchise wouldn't roar back to life until 1998's Getter Robo: Armageddon. This new 13-episode project, which took its visual cues from the Super Robot Wars games and its story from an earlier drama CD

Actually, the drama CD (it was actually a radio drama) came out after Armageddon/ The Final Day of Earth. Chronologically, it takes place prior though. AND THEY FINALLY USED IT. SRW Z2 Part 1 uses Armageddon (which only it's second appearance since D) features the Moon Wars and goes up to the third episode.

Quote:
What's your favorite current story of heroic heroes and their hero robots? Is it Guilty Crown? Is it Aquarion Evol? Or are you yucky and old like me, and can't think of anything more recent than that Mazinger show from 2009? Let me know in the comments. As for Super Robot Island, I've reached the point where I'm starting to struggle to come up with robots I haven't talked about: but there are some! There's Laserion, and Gear Fighter Dendoh, and Acrobunch, and Webdiver, and Daigunder - and more! Who knows when Super Robot Island will rise again?!

Here I thought I was the only who watched Dendoh (the 9th Brave in spirit) and DaiGunder. Webdiver tossed me back awhile. Dat OP.

As for Aquarion, yes. YES. If only for the FUDO! (needs to be capped. He's THAT awesome.) Lagrange is fun.

And that Mazinger "show" from 2009 is Shin Mazinger Shougeki Z-Hen. Oh god, how I'd kill for an R1 release and/or sequel (Great-hen?! Kaiser-hen?! DIZER-HEN?!)
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

For 4 bucks you should totally get it. The robots are "realistic"C GI,but the designs aren't changed very much at all.
I can't say it's "good" per se,but if you like mecha,you'll like it 4 bucks worth at least.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Murder, She wrote:

Several weeks back, I was introduced to this wonderful cartoon, produced by a group of Danish animation students as their final project. It's a damn nice piece of work-- polished, wryly amusing, and remarkably evocative of silly 80s toy tie-in cartoons. Frankly, it has "PILOT EPISODE FOR NEW ADULT SWIM SERIES" written all over it. There are props, character stereotypes, and other ideas from cartoons like BraveStarr, Galaxy Rangers, and Saber Rider & the Star Sheriffs baked in there. What do all of these shows have in common? Horses.

Why do they all look like She-Ra? Laughing

DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If it's super robot, my preference is for anything Imagawa does. Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, Tetsujin 28, G Gundam, he's got a great record.

I bow before your impeccable good taste, Sir. Very Happy

Quote:
This new 13-episode project, which took its visual cues from the Super Robot Wars games and its story from an earlier drama CD, was tipped as a lavish return to form for director Yasuhiro Imagawa, who'd just limped over the finish line with Giant Robo.

Several factors delayed the final episode's release, including the death of Imagawa's father, which he has mentioned in interviews, to reports that the entire series budget was blown by episode 5, leading to the need to secure financing outside of Bandai for the final two episodes. I'm just happy it got released; there were rumors during Anime Expo 96 that it had been cancelled, until the director himself was a guest at AX 97 and assured the crowd that episode 7 was finished.

I'm gonna go ahead and toss some love to Super Bestial Machine God Dancougar. I really enjoyed the Software Sculptors release on vhs; but I'm still waiting for the sequel OVA, God Bless Dancougar. I think I might be waiting for a very long time for that one.

Oh, and SPT Layzner. Would absolutely love an update if we ever return to Super Robot Island. You can't go wrong when your giant robot turns into a blazing blue comet!
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:09 am Reply with quote
Another winning article! Love robots (both super and real) myself, so I've always been surprised that the genre atrophied terribly in the U.S., especially with the long-lasting popularity of Transformers. Seriously, if even Media Blasters gave up on GaoGaiGar, a series made on behalf of the same toy company as Transfomers, then super robot anime is clearly somehow a hard sell.

Dangaioh's another favorite of mine; I really miss Toshihiro Hirano's wonderful character designs. Common misconception about Manga's dub though is that they edited episode one into a brief prologue. What Manga did is simply omit episode one entirely; the recap was a part of the original episode two. Doesn't make things any better though, and it still stands as one of the worst editing jobs Manga Video ever did.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
Bamble wrote:
Another winning article! Love robots (both super and real) myself, so I've always been surprised that the genre atrophied terribly in the U.S., especially with the long-lasting popularity of Transformers. Seriously, if even Media Blasters gave up on GaoGaiGar, a series made on behalf of the same toy company as Transfomers, then super robot anime is clearly somehow a hard sell.

Saying that super robot animes should do well over here because Transformers is popular makes no sense. That's like saying that Voltron's popularity should mean that super robot animes should be big sellers, because that's not true, either. There's a lot more to this than just "super robots should be more popular because [insert nostalgic show here] is/was popular."

Sure, there probably is some convergence between being a Transformers fan and being a super robot fan, but it's not enough to make super robot animes be big sellers. There's a market, sure, and it's "big" enough that licensors will pick up a title here and there, but it's not "mainstream" enough to pick them up at the same pace as, say, fanservice shows.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
Don't remember actually seeing the Mekanda Robot dub, though I did read the local comics adaptation in Questor magazine, which was published by Telesuccess Productions (which produced the English dubs for all those super robot shows in the seventies). Questor also had Voltes V and Mazinger Z comics. Unfortunately I no longer have the vintage magazine issue with the super robot comics, though I have some of the late nineties/early 2000s revival.

I do remember seeing Laserion on local TV after the EDSA Revolution. There were also reruns of Voltes V but they only got around to dubbing the last few episodes until around 1999. I forget if Daimos first aired before or after EDSA.

Loved Gurren Lagann so much I got the Great Impact Model die-cast metal and plastic toy. Still haven't bought the DVDs, though, since Animax Asia keeps re-running the show and I can also watch it on Manga Video's YouTube channel. Might have to be quicker with buying given Bandai Entertainment's situation.
twinklestarex

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:34 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Don't remember actually seeing the Mekanda Robot dub, though I did read the local comics adaptation in Questor magazine, which was published by Telesuccess Productions (which produced the English dubs for all those super robot shows in the seventies). Questor also had Voltes V and Mazinger Z comics. Unfortunately I no longer have the vintage magazine issue with the super robot comics, though I have some of the late nineties/early 2000s revival.

I do remember seeing Laserion on local TV after the EDSA Revolution. There were also reruns of Voltes V but they only got around to dubbing the last few episodes until around 1999. I forget if Daimos first aired before or after EDSA.

Loved Gurren Lagann so much I got the Great Impact Model die-cast metal and plastic toy. Still haven't bought the DVDs, though, since Animax Asia keeps re-running the show and I can also watch it on Manga Video's YouTube channel. Might have to be quicker with buying given Bandai Entertainment's situation.

ABS-CBN 2 did air the English dubbed version Mekanda Robot around 1986 but its aired on weekdays,actually Telesuccess planned of re-airing the series again around 1999 but the owner of rights of that robot show is gone.

My friend said there are only 10 episodes of English dubbed version of Laserion produced by Telesuccess.
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:17 am Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
Robo-fans got a second dose of Dangaioh courtesy of 2001's TV series G-Dangaioh, and... wow. This thing is a spectacular piece of crap. I only saw the first DVD myself, but it sports ugly characters and mecha, nonsensical plotting, and some of the worst TV animation of its day.

Lord Geo wrote:
As for Great Dangaioh, that show really didn't improve much, Mike. The best part of the show were the cool-looking mechs that the new Dangaioh fought, and the Great Dangaioh itself, which only appears in the last episode, looked cool as well.

I thought it was okay, though the fan service that was (IIRC) introduced from episode 2 or 3 on doesn't work that well because the character designs weren't detailed enough.

Lord Geo wrote:
Finally, G Dangaioh does next to nothing to continue the story; you find out what happened to Mia Alice, but G Dangaioh ends with an even less decisive-ending than the original. It's almost as if G was only the second part of a three-part story that we'll never see the end of.

AIC apparently planned another season that never got off the ground, as (spoiler alert: the linked page contains episode summaries) implied by the official site (see the bottom of the linked page):

Quote:
(Follow with chapter 2)

:::

Mike Toole wrote:
Bizarrely, it's also got renowned 12th-century artisan and shaman Abe no Seimei

Tenth to eleventh century, actually (921?–1005).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2