• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Lupin III TV Anime's Staff, Cast, Title Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I was finding my excitement dampened for a while when the idea of a TV series was going around if only because I fully expected they'd go for the typical token TV movie Lupin III - fun enough, but safe and sanitary and by the numbers. This was especially after reading the awesome write ups of the various series done on Anipages, which ended up piquing my interest in Lupin III Part 3, which while apparently not too interesting in terms of sheer plotting has a wild visual style skewing closer to Monkey Punch's original work more than anything before (also see: the Alice OVA) - as it was ultimately poorly received and swept under a rug, I figured they wouldn't go all out like that again.

So seeing that they got Koike on character design and are saying...
Quote:
The series will reportedly capture the "sensuality" present in Monkey Punch's original Lupin III manga in its "daring interpretation" of the franchise.

...among all the other interesting new things and differences, yeah, now I'm really looking forward to this.
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:22 pm Reply with quote
The low episode count, seeming lack of Yuji Ohno, and focusing on Fujiko worries me, but hey - I'll take more Lupin when I can get it.

This is AWESOME!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Having Fujiko as the lead and being directed by the same woman as Michiko e Hatchin makes this very interesting. Lupin III is reliably entertaining enough to always merit some attention, but this actually has me curious. Fujiko is a cool character, but is sometimes lowered to being defined by her cheesecake appeal or by her relationship with Lupin; this, however, could be something refreshing.

I also find it interesting that Mari Okada will do the series composition. I haven't seen anything that she's worked on, although I've been meaning to watch Red Garden for nigh a year, and her record seems ambiguous, but having women responsible for direction and series composition is a rare enough thing to be noteworthy.

The designs in the accompanying image are interesting too. I like the look of it a lot, but all of the men do look rather menacing and sinister. I wonder if it means that Lupin et al will be less affable rogues and more dangerous criminals in this series. That too, could be refreshing.

I really very eager to see this.
I fell in love with the Lupin series at the age of 11 when I first saw him in the April 2003 issue of Anime Insider. Ever since then, I've been a fervent fan of the series and anything to do with it, even cosplaying as the titular thief last year to Anime Weekend Atlanta. However, in order to remain fresh, the series has needed a change in formula, and your points are all excellent reasons why this could be a refreshing and entertaining experience.

Also, as somebody who owns the entirety of "Red Garden", I've got to say it's certainly worth watching. There are some lulls in action and character development, but it's certainly a worthwhile experience that will stick with you for a long time after you've watched it. It comes highly recommended from me, and if I'm not mistaken, it can be watched for free on Hulu, FUNimation Video and Netflix. Smile Check it out!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The series revolves around the character of Fujiko Mine, depicting her and the rest of the Lupin III cast during their younger days. The series will reportedly capture the "sensuality" present in Monkey Punch's original Lupin III manga in its "daring interpretation" of the franchise.

The "sentuality" of the manga mostly revolves around near-rape.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The second update largely confirms my hopes for the series, so I'm very excited for it now. Between this and Sakamichi no Apollon, I have some very high hopes for the spring season. I just pray that it doesn't just mean that I'll have higher to fall into the crevice of despair from.

I guess I'm fortunate in not having developed any affection for the traditional Lupin III cast. Damn me for admitting it, but I associate the characters with the cast from Geneon's English dub for the second series, which I suppose will work to my advantage.

Lupin the Third wrote:
If anyone wants an idea of what the show will probably look like in motion, here's a "sneak peek":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5eN4Dq83Xg

They made that for a goddamned slot machine?!? I don't disapprove, but that's like defeating East Timor with a nuke. Ah well, much like nuking East Timor would be, that was awesome.

Apollo-kun wrote:
Also, as somebody who owns the entirety of "Red Garden", I've got to say it's certainly worth watching. There are some lulls in action and character development, but it's certainly a worthwhile experience that will stick with you for a long time after you've watched it. It comes highly recommended from me, and if I'm not mistaken, it can be watched for free on Hulu, FUNimation Video and Netflix. Smile Check it out!

Oh, I've owned the original single-volume releases of Red Garden since last summer. I just haven't watched it, or a half dozen other things that I've had that long, yet. I have seen the first two episodes, which were enough to convince me to buy it.

penguintruth wrote:
The "sensuality" of the manga mostly revolves around near-rape.

Why am I somehow not surprised. I'm hopeful that with a woman directing and another writing, we'll be spared that in favor of something more consensual. (And sexier, if I may dare to say... because rape is not sexy; really, really, really not sexy)

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Damn me for admitting it, but I associate the characters with the cast from Geneon's English dub for the second series, which I suppose will work to my advantage.

The Geneon cast was pretty solid. Tony Oliver especially seemed to have a lot of fun with his role.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
They made that for a goddamned slot machine?!? I don't disapprove, but that's like defeating East Timor with a nuke. Ah well, much like nuking East Timor would be, that was awesome.

Honestly, this seems to be a big secondary market for animation studios now. Toei Animation did brand-new footage for the recent Saint Seiya Pachiko machine that looked amazing, and even got some hardcore Seiya fans jealous and a little angry that Toei was willing to do animation like that for Seiya after the limited animation the last two Hades OVA series had.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, awesome news! I'm a big fan of the franchise, so seeing the heavy-hitters behind-the-scenes has made it look very promising, especially Takeshi Koike doing the character designs and animation direction.

Surrender Artist wrote:
Having Fujiko as the lead and being directed by the same woman as Michiko e Hatchin makes this very interesting. Lupin III is reliably entertaining enough to always merit some attention, but this actually has me curious. Fujiko is a cool character, but is sometimes lowered to being defined by her cheesecake appeal or by her relationship with Lupin; this, however, could be something refreshing.

Considering the character, it is pretty interesting (and probably a deliberate choice) having both the director and screenwriter be females. On the other hand, the series is supposed to be more "sensual" and "bold" than other Lupin entries, and given that some of the more risque work across the board have been done by female artists, I can't say that with certainty that Yamamoto or Okada won't steer from entering cheesecake territory themselves, considering the former storyboarded the fanservice-soaked sixth episode of Highschool of the Dead and the latter did the series compositions for the Kodomo no Jikan series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:23 pm Reply with quote
I've listened to every single ANNCAST and this anime keeps coming up! I'm glad to see they are doing another series about it, so I don't have to go the illegal route and have to grab a fansub, since it's unavailable in the states.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:45 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
I've listened to every single ANNCAST and this anime keeps coming up! I'm glad to see they are doing another series about it, so I don't have to go the illegal route and have to grab a fansub, since it's unavailable in the states.

Buy Discotek/Eastern Star's release of the 2002 TV special Lupin the 3rd Episode 0: First Contact. It's an excellent introduction for newcomers and is the most recent Lupin anime release in North America. Also, there's Discotek/Eastern Star's upcoming release of the very first Lupin TV series this June. Then there's a bunch of catalog releases you can scrounge around for, like Geneon's unfinished release of Lupin TV Part II, Discotek's release of The Fuma Conspiracy, and FUNimation's smattering of movies & TV specials.
Myaow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
New Lupin, new Saint Seiya, new Leiji Matsumoto, new Shinichiro Watanabe all on TV at the same time? What is UP with this April and why can't all anime seasons be like it?
Kalessin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:19 pm Reply with quote
It's great that we're getting more Lupin. Lupin is pretty much always entertaining, even if it isn't the best thing ever. But they're using the same character designer as Redline?!! Yuck. That was by far the worst thing in Redline IMHO. I hated the character designs in that movie. Very ugly. I'd hate to see Lupin III done in a similar style. I don't see any reason to do much of a redesign of the look of Lupin III. It's looked fine just the way it is for years. And the image posted with the article looks pretty bad - especially for Lupin himself.
Lupin the Third

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I don't see any reason to do much of a redesign of the look of Lupin III. It's looked fine just the way it is for years. And the image posted with the article looks pretty bad - especially for Lupin himself.

I disagree. Check out the slot machine clip I posted on the previous page. In motion, Koike's designs actually pretty cool and refreshing. Keep in mind the TV Specials have been using the same "Part II"-based designs for a decade and a half, along with all the video games, merchandise, etc. It gets old, and Lupin fans want change. Even some of the hardcore fans over on the LupintheThird.com forums that liked the show as it was and gobbled up every TV Special regardless of how cookie-cutter it was have shown great enthusiasm for the Koike designs.

Also, I wouldn't put much stock into Lupin's jacket color. Look at Jigen's outfit, after all. I'm pretty sure it's colored for effect, not for keeps.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The second I heard that there was a new Lupin series, I immediately asked myself one question:

What color will his jacket be?

I figured they'd go with either green (since it's got that Cogloistro classiness to it) or red (since it's the one he wore during his most popular series.) No way would they dig up the pink jacket again.

Well, now we know. And this might just change Lupin as we know it forever.

BLUE JACKET, PEOPLE.

MY BODY WILL NEVER BE READY.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Monkey Punch prefers the red jacket.

Of course, Monkey Punch prefers a Lupin that kills without mercy and nearly rapes every woman he sees.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4