• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Mobile Light Force

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Nintendo would have to partner with someone to make that phone. They have no internal teams used to that kind of situation in building a phone OS, and components.

Sony would need the left to talk to the right hand and it would be done. Xperia Play was the left hand attempting to do something without the right hand, and obviously that didn't work out very well.
JuicyB

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Smartphones and tablets having better specs than handhelds is an absolute non-issue. PCs have ALWAYS had better specs than consoles; yet that hasn't been an issue for the Xbox, or any Nintendo or Sony consoles.

Aside from that, you have to consider the fact that smartphones and tablet purchasers are an entirely different demographic. People buy phone games because they're cheap and they're there; may as well pick up Angry Birds for 99 cents since it's more fun than staring into space for 5 minutes while you wait for the bus, right?

Nobody actually buys phones or tablets exclusively for games, and that sets them apart from consoles and dedicated handhelds. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
completely forgot that ninja gaiden 3 was coming out soon. Tht seems like a solid rental; although I'm probably gonna take flak for getting it on the 360 even though I own a ps3. (Just better controller config)

I also can't wait for the new Resident evil xbl game. THAT looks fantastic! Hope My friends get it too; since I can't remember the last time I actually connected to xbl for anything other than just voice chats and crap like netflix. Just too many whiny tweens on the games.. that and I have a gaming PC for all my FPS's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Optitron

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:22 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Shante: Risky Revolution

*cough*It's Shantae: Risky's Revenge*cough*. Seriously, I'd have thought the game was popular enough that someone would have caught that sooner.

Quote:
And if we have to play Mega Man 11 or the next Treasure game on the iPhone, that's better than playing it nowhere at all.

For others this may be true. However, as someone who has never owned a smartphone and never intends to own a smartphone, there really is no difference for me. As an avid Mega Man fan this notion that future iterations of the series may only be on a platform I will never own makes me sad (though in all honesty Capcom seems to be determined to just let the series die and leave us with nothing but b******t cameos in their fighting games).
DJcream

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:14 am Reply with quote
I pretty much TL;DR'd this entire thread so if I repeat something in the following rant, please forgive me.

Gaming on smartphones

feels like a step back to the fundamentals. If you think about it, some of the best iPhone games put an emphasis on simplified controls and/or engaging storylines to keep people playing.

Personally I love one-button games such as Robot Unicorn Attack but it puts a huge restriction on a number of genres. I know that it's close to impossible to find a great sports game or fighting game using a limited control scheme. Playing Madden is frustrating when you can't pinpoint a certain receiver while evading a blitz, and grinding out combos on Street Fighter 4 is a real step backwards after playing both the arcade and console version.

On the flipside, I feel as though there has been lot of creative ideas for music games. Jukebeat, a localized version of the popular arcade music game Jubeat, is a great Bemani game complete with DLC music packs with simple controls resembling Elite Beat Agents on a 4x4 grid. The game plays good on iPad but is really iffy on iPhone.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Optitron wrote:
Quote:

*cough*It's Shantae: Risky's Revenge*cough*. Seriously, I'd have thought the game was popular enough that someone would have caught that sooner.

Isn't there now a third game with that subtitle? Wayforward has been absolutely nuts as of late with downloadable titles.

In any case, I don't have a smartphone either, and I don't intend to because the monthy fees are too high for me.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Optitron wrote:
Quote:

Isn't there now a third game with that subtitle? Wayforward has been absolutely nuts as of late with downloadable titles.

In any case, I don't have a smartphone either, and I don't intend to because the monthy fees are too high for me.

Which is fine, and it's why companies and should keep producing stuff like iPod touch, non dataplanned tablets, and yes, handhelds. The phone should be an option, but not mandatory.

I think if Sony had ditched Xperia Play and made Vita in both phone and non-phone models, it would sell way better than it has. As it stands...well, yeah.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
What I'm hoping to see more of are ways to control the tablet/phone via external devices to avoid those thorny control issues.

For iOS devices, there's the iCade.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:33 am Reply with quote
Todd Ciolek wrote:
Konami first raised some eyebrows by including only Silent Hill 2 and 3, ignoring the original PlayStation Silent Hill just as the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection ignored its PlayStation outing.

I just wanna point out, since I've seen this complaint all over the place, and now it was brought up in The X Button as well... OFC THE PS1 GAMES AREN'T IN THE HD COLLECTIONS!
They can still be played on the PS3. The idea behind the HD Collections is not only just making the games HD and getting more money (as well as trophies, and 3D support in a bunch of them as well), but that they are ports of games you cannot currently play on the PS3. It would be pointless, and most likely visually horrendous, to include "HD" versions of PS1 games in these collection releases.
Yes, I know we got the God of War Origins collection, which upscaled PSP games, but I can only imagine the amount of time and effort it took to upscale all the game assets. As well as the fact that again, those games could not be played on the PS3, so it made sense.
It is perfectly logical to not include the original Metal Gear Solid or Silent Hill in the HD releases, as you can still plop those CDs into your PS3 and play them. And I see this trend continuing for any other franchises that had PS1 outings that get collections. Just a guess, but, those won't be included either.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2