• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clannad, Blue Drop, Ghost Hound, Tears to Tiara Get Dubs

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
At the risk of going off-topic, I've been wondering how consumers would react to a pre-order model as has been done with a couple recent video releases in Japan. Distributor X would announce a license acquisition and, partnering up with Amazon, Right Stuff, and other sellers, would require a certain minimum of pre-orders to produce a dub. If the minimum was not met, only a sub would be released. People who had pre-ordered would at least have the option to cancel if they don't want to own a sub-only version.

Would putting money down up front be preferable to upgrading, or would folks prefer to own a physical product while the dub status is up in the air?

Actually, that's a really interesting idea. I prefer that arrangement over doing an upgrade.
keikanki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Takeyo wrote:
At the risk of going off-topic, I've been wondering how consumers would react to a pre-order model as has been done with a couple recent video releases in Japan. Distributor X would announce a license acquisition and, partnering up with Amazon, Right Stuff, and other sellers, would require a certain minimum of pre-orders to produce a dub. If the minimum was not met, only a sub would be released. People who had pre-ordered would at least have the option to cancel if they don't want to own a sub-only version.

Would putting money down up front be preferable to upgrading, or would folks prefer to own a physical product while the dub status is up in the air?

Actually, that's a really interesting idea. I prefer that arrangement over doing an upgrade.

The only problem is, with piracy weighing heavily on the equation as it always does, and the competition to get a product out with as little lag time as possible being more intense than ever (consider Kannagi, Vampire Bund & Idiot + Test) that idea is totally antithetical to the business model that's still working for the present. Besides being the most costly aspect, dubbing is also the most time-consuming part of the process. If you adopt this strategy and the property reaches its order quota, the consumers "reward" is a 2- or 3-month delay for maybe half the episode count you could crank out without dubbing.

Takeyo: What are the recent video releases in Japan you're referring to? I hadn't heard about that at all and sortof thought with the expansion of BD that there was actually a lot of double-dipping going on in Japan currently, as opposed to cutting back...? (Not that this has any bearing on US consumers.)

Last edited by keikanki on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Count

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:41 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Blood- wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
fWell I think it's pretty obvious - if you don't buy the sub-only, it won't be dubbed.

But that's exactly what some of us have been warning against. I think Sentai has to decide if its going to be in the dub business consistently or not (like Funi is) or sub only business consistently (like Nozomi is, more or less). Because as a business model, the "release as sub-only, wait to see if sales are good enough and then bring out a dub with an upgrade program for those who bought the sub only" is not a good one for reasons that should be obvious.

Well it isn't obvious to me. I can't see how you getting a bilingual release at a discount because you bought the sub-only releases is a problem.
The down side I see in that is that people like me who shy away from sub only releases would be force to buy them. Basically we'd have to buy something we don't really want and hold out hope that the publisher would come back and dub it, even though they made no promises to do so. I just can't get excited about buying things I don't want in the hopes that it will help me get what I do want? Blood- may have a different reason but that's the flaw I see in this type of model.

Takeyo wrote:

I like that plan a lot. The only issue I could see is that "hidden gems" would likely not get dubbed under that model. Shows like Moribito or Tweeny Witch's, both of which I love would likely not have the numbers to justify a dub.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:52 pm Reply with quote
keikanki wrote:
Takeyo: What are the recent video releases in Japan you're referring to? I hadn't heard about that at all and sortof thought with the expansion of BD that there was actually a lot of double-dipping going on in Japan currently, as opposed to cutting back...? (Not that this has any bearing on US consumers.)

Off the top of my head, I think there was a box set that comprised the second half of a series that was underperforming sales expectations and some sort of True Tears release that will include a new, animated epilogue short.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 pm Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Well it isn't obvious to me. I can't see how you getting a bilingual release at a discount because you bought the sub-only releases is a problem.

Gosh, ZakuAce, I guess I'm just one of those weirdos who likes to buy a product once and not have to worry about dicking around later on. How would you feel about a car company that said, "Okay, we'll put out this basic model. IF it sells well enough, we MAY put out a more loaded version later on which you'll be able to get through our upgrade program." How successful do you think a car company like that would be?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
The recent series that was cancelled halfway through DVD release and replaced with a half box was Shangri-La - one I wanted to pick up on DVD due to the Murata art, but couldn't afford.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
xBTAx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Hmm...

I'm not sure whether I'll upgrade my Clannad DVDs. I don't even have the second half of After Story yet, but...

I've played through most of the game (which I did buy), so I'm extremely used to the Japanese voices. And since I can usually only stand dubs if I watched them before the subs... It doesn't seem likely that I'll like the dub. Though it's really nice for anyone that wants them, though!
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Glad Clannad is getting dubbed but even Ghost Hound, Tear to Tiara and Blue Drop!
Maybe they should to the same for Hell Girl season 2 and others they recently aquired for dubbing.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:

keikanki wrote:
If you adopt this strategy and the property reaches its order quota, the consumers "reward" is a 2- or 3-month delay for maybe half the episode count you could crank out without dubbing.

I would be willing to participate in this kind of plan. If the issue is about raising enough money to finance a dub then fine, I'll make an up-front commitment. The extra time this would take, for me, is not a big deal. It's not like I won't have anything to watch in the meantime - there's a lot of Anime out there that I haven't seen yet. So I can be patient.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
OMG best news this week I love Clannad and now its getting a dub Very Happy
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I guess what I'm trying to say is, get used to this way, because companies like Sentai can no longer afford to do only dubs unless some extreme changes come to the market (like an explosion of DVD purchases). Just be glad they are even doing any dubs. Think about it this way - if you really want to own a series, buy it subbed. If it gets a dub, great. But if it doesn't, be happy you own it.
slickwolfie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I think the biggest reason Sentai should continue with the initial sub only release is the fact that, without them, fan subs would again have a huge advantage over any US release. If Sentai can release a series that is pretty close to the Japanese release, the industry wins. If those titles that were released with the sub only format do well, then a dub would be great. I'm a dub fan, but I can enjoy a series dubbed or not.
Slick
Excel Generations

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Dude!!! I'm so excited about this news!!! Best news Sentai has released!!! I feel like busting out my boombox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yvEYKRF5IA
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Gosh, ZakuAce, I guess I'm just one of those weirdos who likes to buy a product once and not have to worry about dicking around later on. How would you feel about a car company that said, "Okay, we'll put out this basic model. IF it sells well enough, we MAY put out a more loaded version later on which you'll be able to get through our upgrade program." How successful do you think a car company like that would be?

Sounds like the iPod, iPhone, and soon to be when the second gen iPad comes out. Wink

Yeah I go for the generic versions when buying gadgets, but I just laugh at my friends "upgrading" every six months and paying out the nose for it. Do they not see why a proprietary body like Apple is doing what it is doing? I have the answer, and it is not because they didn't have the "technology" six months ago.

Anyway I am with you, I think this upgrade is good as a one shot deal, but if this becomes a normal affair then it is BS.

Me I will buy the shows I want dubbed, like most of these, when they come out. But I am tired of people screaming that I must buy something I don't want in order to get something I do. Have any of you even considered that ADV(Sentai, 23) is doing what they are doing because the sub only strategy has actually failed. Or at the very least reduced cash flow so much that they just can't obtain an optimum amount of capital. I not am saying that this is the case, but it seems that many of you aren't even considering the possibility. Or at the very least, that it is part of the rationale behind all of this. I also note that MB is in dire straits and they were one of the first to start putting out a bunch of sub-only releases.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Sounds like the iPod, iPhone, and soon to be when the second gen iPad comes out. Wink

Yeah I go for the generic versions when buying gadgets, but I just laugh at my friends "upgrading" every six months and paying out the nose for it. Do they not see why a proprietary body like Apple is doing what it is doing? I have the answer, and it is not because they didn't have the "technology" six months ago.

Anyway I am with you, I think this upgrade is good as a one shot deal, but if this becomes a normal affair then it is BS.

Me I will buy the shows I want dubbed, like most of these, when they come out. But I am tired of people screaming that I must buy something I don't want in order to get something I do. Have any of you even considered that ADV(Sentai, 23) is doing what they are doing because the sub only strategy has actually failed. Or at the very least reduced cash flow so much that they just can't obtain an optimum amount of capital. I not am saying that this is the case, but it seems that many of you aren't even considering the possibility. Or at the very least, that it is part of the rationale behind all of this. I also note that MB is in dire straits and they were one of the first to start putting out a bunch of sub-only releases.

You clearly have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13