• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!!×2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ep 11. Grade C+
I agree with the review and would grade it the same.

Review wrote:
I don't know how you take material this apocalyptic and make it this drab, but DRRR x2 found a way, and it's a real bummer.

Yea, like I said last time unlike the first season I don't care about any of the characters and therefore I don't care what's going on. But as others have pointed out, there is something going on with the direction of the show. It doesn't seem to know how to maintain its energy when its doing things right. It feels like its just going thru the motions or its by the numbers. Its gotten a bit dull and boring even with the action. I'm not feeling invested with what's going on with the characters.

justsomeaccount wrote:
I think the worst part of the episode is the last scene, and that shows the compositors are not even trying. It's just a dumb joke by Celty that kind of falls flat but that's okay, the problem is, the episode ends like that even though that scene has nothing conclusive of the episode on it, it looks like there is missing a shot of two seconds of Celty looking at the truck to build up the next event or something, when suddenly the credits start coming out of nowhere you feel disoriented and annoyed. And it has nothing to do with the start, so there is no a link on the episode whatsoever, it's just "things happening" in the minimal sense of the sentence.

Yea, it felt awkward and out of place for me. If that scene was positioned differently in the episode it might have been funny instead with the abrupt end I felt like "wha..?"

I'm not expecting much out of the last episode, but I'm hoping the following season takes this mush and makes something out of it.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11: A- I didn't have any real issues with this one, aside from the abrupt ending. It had the right amount of tension for me and I really liked the banter between Kadota and Rokujo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I guess it's possible that because of the split cours they have time to look over and review before they move in to the next part. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but like I said, I still have some hope they can fix this.
That Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:47 pm Reply with quote
{If you cannot disagree respectfully, then do not say anything at all. ~nbahn}
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Though I did enjoy the episode a lot, I do agree with most of what's being said here, and I'd pat all of you in the back for having better taste than I do.

However, there's one thing I'd like to clear up (albeit a really small one that just slightly bothered me).

Rogueywon wrote:
(including a fairly blatant rip-off of Monogatari's Fire Sisters)

Durarara x4 (the novel where the Orihara sisters were introduced) came out on March 10, 2008, while Nisemonogatari: Part 1 (the first novel where the Fire Sisters were properly introduced), came out on September 1, 2008, so it's the other way around (though I wouldn't call such similarities a rip-off).
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Durarara x4 (the novel where the Orihara sisters were introduced) came out on March 10, 2008, while Nisemonogatari: Part 1 (the first novel where the Fire Sisters were properly introduced), came out on September 1, 2008, so it's the other way around (though I wouldn't call such similarities a rip-off).

Fair enough. Though I'd still argue that Monogatari - while not without its (huge) faults - does what are basically the same characters and dynamics a lot better.

A Brain's Base version of these DRRR chapters might, of course, have done a better job of it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
A Brain's Base version of these DRRR chapters might, of course, have done a better job of it.

Even though Brain's Base is a very nice studio, creating a good anime also depends on having a capable staff, time and a nice budget. The second season of Durarara!! retained the staff from season one, but it is becoming more apparent that they do not have enough time and budget.

I would not blame the ills of the second season on the change of animation studio (assuming you are doing that).
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:37 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Even though Brain's Base is a very nice studio, creating a good anime also depends on having a capable staff, time and a nice budget. The second season of Durarara!! retained the staff from season one, but it is becoming more apparent that they do not have enough time and budget.

I would not blame the ills of the second season on the change of animation studio (assuming you are doing that).

Something's gone wrong. It may or may not be the studio. I think it's more down to the writing and direction than anything else (though the occasionally terrible art hasn't helped). I've not read the light novels, but I'm also open to the possibility that they jumped the shark after the ones covered by the first season.

Or, indeed, that they just had a blip in quality for a while and that things will get better again. But while I'll probably see out this current cour, it would take either a brilliant ending or very, very positive reports to get me to try the next cour when it airs.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
Something's gone wrong. It may or may not be the studio. I think it's more down to the writing and direction than anything else (though the occasionally terrible art hasn't helped). I've not read the light novels, but I'm also open to the possibility that they jumped the shark after the ones covered by the first season.

Or, indeed, that they just had a blip in quality for a while and that things will get better again. But while I'll probably see out this current cour, it would take either a brilliant ending or very, very positive reports to get me to try the next cour when it airs.

I think this comes down to the abilities and downright creativity of the director. The first half of the first season, that is, around 12 chapters, were an adaptation of just 1 novel. At one point, they literally turned just a few paragraphs into a single episode. But it worked, because they were creative about it, and used those paragraphs that worked well as written narration but wouldn't translate well into animated format in order to give a better introduction of the characters.

What they are doing this season is, as I see it, the complete opposite of it: instead of altering the order and flow of some scenes in a creative way, they are going the auto-pilot way, which is adapting the novels directly, without much creative input from the studio. I still argue this is probably because they didn't have much time to properly plan things out... though that obviously doesn't excuse them.

As everyone, I hope this is just a dip in quality before rising from the ashes on the following cour.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:
I see Hope is still being Hope, I just have to ask what series those this chick like?

I am reviewing both Tokyo Ghoul and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure this season, and like both of those very much. I also like the first season of Durarara, just not so much this continuation.

Things airing this season alone that I like but am not in charge of reviewing: Yatterman Night, Maria the Virgin Witch, Yurikuma Arashi, Akatsuki no Yona, Cute High Earth Defense (etc.), Your Lie in April, Shirobako, Assassination Classroom, and Death Parade.

Whatever narrative you have about me hating things is pretty broken, I'd say. I probably just don't like the same shows you do. Vive le difference.

Also, the "chick" thing isn't cute. We all know what word you really meant.
That Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:56 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
That Samurai wrote:
I see Hope is still being Hope, I just have to ask what series those this chick like?

I am reviewing both Tokyo Ghoul and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure this season, and like both of those very much. I also like the first season of Durarara, just not so much this continuation.

Things airing this season alone that I like but am not in charge of reviewing: Yatterman Night, Maria the Virgin Witch, Yurikuma Arashi, Akatsuki no Yona, Cute High Earth Defense (etc.), Your Lie in April, Shirobako, Assassination Classroom, and Death Parade.

Whatever narrative you have about me hating things is pretty broken, I'd say. I probably just don't like the same shows you do. Vive le difference.

Also, the "chick" thing isn't cute. We all know what word you really meant.

I said chick because i meant chick there was no hidden motive behind me saying that, and also i dont understand why you are always reviewing things you end up disliking. Idk how the reviewers for each show are picked but i just find it odd. And as someone who has in the past been a reviewer, i find the way you review shows very distasteful you bash more than give fair criticism.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I suggest you not refer to women you don't personally know as "chick," especially when dissing them. It's not cool.

As for the rest of it:

You can disagree with someone without being a jerk, believe it or not. Give it a try next time.
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:
I said chick because i meant chick there was no hidden motive behind me saying that, and also i don't understand why you are always reviewing things you end up disliking. Idk how the reviewers for each show are picked but i just find it odd. And as someone who has in the past been a reviewer, i find the way you review shows very distasteful you bash more than give fair criticism.

"Chick" doesn't pass the test of "would you call somebody that to their face in normal conversation". If it does for you, you have a problem. It's hardly civil.

And reviews are always subjective - that's kind of the whole thing with them. At the end of the day, a review is just one person's opinion. The current crop of reviewers on ANN are all over the show. Some shows seem to get As every week even when they dial it in, others can't scrape above a B+ even when they have legendary-quality episodes. But that's the way it is with reviews.

I've eaten in restaurants which have had rave reviews and have had meals I wouldn't give to a dog. In game-land, I generally like Eurogamer reviews (their reviewers match my tastes in most respects), but I know that they have a tendency to descend into squealing fanboydom for reviews of Nintendo first-party games, so I go to IGN or Gamespot to read about those.

Personally, I've found Hope's reviews of DRRR S2 have more or less aligned with my own views on it (maybe a bit kinder about it than I would be, but only by a shade) and there's nothing wrong with how they're written.

If you don't like the review scores then... well... does it matter? The show's still going to air in its scheduled slot and if you like it, nobody can take that away from you. The chances of a sequel might be influenced by sales and reviews may have a small impact on those, but it takes a lot more than a single review to determine stuff like that.

Besides, sometimes the best review is a scathing review. The somethingawful review of the Daikatana demo went on to be way more memorable than the game itself. And would anybody even remember Big Rigs Over The Road Racing (let alone be livestreaming speedruns of it for charity events) if Gamespot hadn't done that legendary hatchet-job on it? Smile
Random 21

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:
Cry me a river about that chick word lol i have been called worse irl and on the internet and i wasnt really dissing you just asking a question and giving my opinion. I guess you could say i was reviewing your reviewing style.

Well if you consider that a review then I guess you could say i find the way you review reviewers very distasteful, you bash more than give fair criticism.

Besides, not everyone has seen the first season of Durarara. IIRC the only two people who previewed the first episode of the season was Hope and Theron, and Hope seemed to be the one who preferred it more. Like she said, she liked season 1 more or less, so it's not like she went into season 2 to hatewatch it, it just ended up being disappointing.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:00 pm Reply with quote
That Samurai wrote:

And I just have to ask how your post adds to the discussion about the show. If you disagree with the review then list some reasons and back them up. Otherwise some people are going to think that you are just trolling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 14