• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
It would be pretty weird if Nao and the other male student council member did not know about Yuu's power or at least suspect its implications. How did they know Yuu had a power? Of course, because wet Kumagami walked in, let one drop of water fall on that huge map and then he probably said... 'Ability: plunder'. It must have been weird for them to see Yuu only 'plunder' someone's body for a few seconds. Like, 'is that all...?'. I wonder if that 5 second power was just an accident, him accidentally stealing a power he did not knew wasn't his own.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
It would be pretty weird if Nao and the other male student council member did not know about Yuu's power or at least suspect its implications. How did they know Yuu had a power? Of course, because wet Kumagami walked in, let one drop of water fall on that huge map and then he probably said... 'Ability: plunder'.

Given that Kumagami knew of Yuu's ability and past timeline, he could've also just lied about the ability.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 10:

That was rather predictable imo with the time travel thing. Good to see Yuu being able to protect Ayumi when she needed the most though. It cut a bit close but the plan worked. Also kinda nice to see Yuu's past with his family.

Now I wonder about the cost or whatever as this worked out to be too perfect...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11: Charlotte

I'm so [expletive] hyped, can't wait to find out what the title means.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Laughing Best twist: Kumagami spoiler[doesn't have to be wet] to use his ability...

But they did know Yuu's power all along. 'You're unusually sharp' - of course Nao wouldn't have a high opinion of someone that can't even figure out his real power. I wonder how he'd really do on tests if he couldn't cheat.

I'm pretty sure next episode will hammer down all happiness with some plot twist. Of course it won't end this happily! Is there a secret villain? Or was Yuu the villain all along /sarcasm *cough*. However, since Yuu has some evil genes, it wouldn't surprise me if Shunsuke had an evil plan set up, though the explanation this episode made him look quite sympathetic. The ones of the core group have the most information about abilities, so also about their repercussions. Shunsuke willingly set his little brother at risk for at least blindness by making him absorb his powers and using them - which would all be fine and dandy if Ayumi's really saved this time - but maybe Ayumi will die after all and this will all be for naught.

Yuu isn't the brightest of all, but his power is quite something. Letting him go blind is a good move for people who want to get rid of him.

Foolish little brother... wasn't Itachi spoiler[blind as well]?

I wonder if overuse really is the cause of blindness. Only two characters are blind as of now, while many others used their abilities quite often. Maybe it has something to do with the 'Rules of Charlotte' or something. I have no idea. I'm quite curious how this show will turn out.

kinghumanity wrote:
Episode 11: Charlotte

I'm so [expletive] hyped, can't wait to find out what the title means.

Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Now I wonder about the cost or whatever as this worked out to be too perfect...

Well, Nao's brother's improvement has been completely undone.

A Mystery wrote:
but maybe Ayumi will die after all and this will all be for naught.

I was expecting the episode to end with her getting hit by a car or something, because these "save lives via time travel" stories usually boil down to "but fate says this has to happen!"
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I must've forgotten something, but how did they know that girl attacked her? All I remember was everyone was trying to find her when they realized she went to school, but no one did, and then she was dead in the building collapse. So it seems like all they would know was that she and another girl died in the collapse. I suppose they could have found the box cutter in the rubble, but it's quite a leap from just that to this shy little girl attacked her out of the blue for no reason.

Also, they just contradicted their own rule established before that he needs to at least see the person's face before he can plunder.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:47 pm Reply with quote
We see Yandere-chan escape from the collapse so it's not like she died. The investigation could have exposed her involvement.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also, they just contradicted their own rule established before that he needs to at least see the person's face before he can plunder.

Maybe he only needs to have seen the person's face once. Nao said that Yuu had just misunderstood his ability so his possessing ability is infact the power stealing ability, that's how I understood it. He didn't have to look a person in the face to possess them and if the abilities are one and the same then the plundering ability works the same way.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
@ Vaisaga: I forgot that. How the hell did she escape when she was standing close enough to Ayumi to try to cut her?

Cam0 wrote:
Maybe he only needs to have seen the person's face once. Nao said that Yuu had just misunderstood his ability so his possessing ability is in fact the power stealing ability, that's how I understood it. He didn't have to look a person in the face to possess them and if the abilities are one and the same then the plundering ability works the same way.

I understood what she said that way too, but that still didn't make any sense. If the person doesn't have powers, then he can control them, and if they do, he plunders their power while controlling them as a side effect? That's still two powers in one. He can use his other powers separately, why not plunder and possession?

And in the other timeline, in which he was well acquainted with his powers, he clearly said he needed to see the person's face to plunder. And I'd have to go back and check, which I'm not going to do, but haven't we seen him possess non-powered people from behind without ever seeing their face? They could have avoided any question about it had they just had him plunder telepathy once he found the guy.

But that still wouldn't explain the discrepancy with possessing normals vs powered people, unless possession is the true power and plunder is just a side-effect of possession, like dipping your finger in honey. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Basically it all just falls under the umbrella of "stealing." He steals their minds, bodies, powers, etc. If they don't have something obviously he can't steal it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
unless possession is the true power and plunder is just a side-effect of possession, like dipping your finger in honey. Smile

Looking back at Nao's explanation this is how I'd view Yuu's power. Nao basically says that Yuu is not merely possessing people, he steals powers by possessing people and so everyone who had been possessed by Yuu had lost the their powers.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
I am happy with this looking towards a more happy turn of events. It happened quick, but you can feel that he has been through that event that made him grow.

I did enjoy the scene with the middle schoolers, it was kind of obvious they would figure out it was her, but the whole spit thing.

Would not be surprised if the brother plans on Yuu continuing on with what he could not anymore, and be sacrificial. Hopefully Yuu can still set up the meeting with Nao's brother.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:18 am Reply with quote
Just saw the preview. spoiler[Get ready for lots of screaming.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Well, quite a bit happened this episode.

From the preview already, it was kinda obvious that not everything went as expected. More so, Nao gets ambushed and kidnapped. Yuu is injured in the eye and hell, I think the most painful is that Kumagami dies(?). Anyways yeah....

Also kinda interesting that finally found out what the name/term "Charlotte" meant. The revelation felt kinda underwhelming though imo despite how important it is.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 16