• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Noragami Aragoto

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:30 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
If a third season is made I will be very interested, but if there isn't one, I will be disappointed every time I rewatch the last episode of Aragoto.

Still, I pretty much loved every single moment in Noragami Aragoto. I am giving it and overall rating of Very good.

I think S2 pulled off successfully what manga fans mostly thought was impossible - doing justice to two significant & beloved story arcs. Just about every episode was solid, and they even managed to tie it all together under the theme of "what makes a family". I would love to see a third season, but if it doesn't happen, what we have here already is very good indeed, and totally capable of standing on its own.

As for the post-credits reveal, that just puts a necessary capstone on this chapter. If they hadn't included that epilogue, Ebisu's already bittersweet fate would've felt like they were milking the audience with a senseless sacrifice. Instead, that tragedy, plus all the apparent plotholes and mustache-twirling, come together as a well-executed evil!character development.

Quote:
So far the anime has adapted around 40 of the manga's 60-ish currently existing chapters, so I don't think we'll have to wait too long for a third season.

Is this wishful thinking, denial, or are there actually rumors/mentions of a S3? Because S2 was sort of a stealth/mystery announcement, after they already must've been in production.
zztop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Fujisaki, aka) Mr. Consent Issues is Father!

The Father's still an ongoing mystery in the source manga.
So far the mangakas have defined his personality and character, but very little about his history or endgame.

spoiler[What's confirmed is that he has a cool, calm exterior, but can be very manipulative and ruthless in protecting his interests.
He's been reincarnating into/possessing human bodies for centuries (Yato's not up to date on his latest form), and he passionately HATES the Gods and their social structure - he claims alternately his Phantom-rearing activities are to both pass the time and spite the Gods.
It's implied he was hurt by the Gods' self-righteous policies, but nothing's clear yet.
]

I'm not sure if they could do a Season 3 immediately though - the chapters after this are mostly character/worldbuilding which could be compressed into half a season, save one rather large arc which the mangakas are currently penning out. It's also a monthly manga, so updates are a bit slow.

spoiler[Her elder brother's been introduced in the later chapters, but he still hasn't played a major role yet. The siblings also inherited a spiritual 6th sense from their grandmother, explaining why Hiyori was able to see Yato way back in Season 1 when she pushed him away from the incoming vehicle.
]
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:48 pm Reply with quote
secondkas wrote:
Hiyori is a unique heroine in a supernatural series; she doesn't gain the same abilities as the characters she's with (aside from her soul popping out) nor is she the "special girl"...

Have you checked out Ghost Hunt? Different premise, kind of like Scooby Doo if the team were made up of (grown) people with moderate spiritual/psychic abilities. But what you said made me immediately think of Mai, the heroine from that series. I hear she's not quite as cool/independent in the manga, but the anime was really good.

I agree that Hiyori is better than the average POV character, and she's an especially vital part of the Terrific Trio. I always have this worry in the back of my head though - the nature of these sorts of supernatural+human relationships is such that either the super has to become less super, or the human less human for it to work out. Or they part ways, in some variant of "I want my beloved to be happy".

I want them to get their happy ending, but I worry that either Hiyori or Yato would have to give up something important/fundamental to make that happen. My worst-case nightmare is that the authors will go the CLAMP route and go for a tragic-romantic ending. Although, if they could somehow take out Father and free Yato for good in the process, I might accept that as a fair narrative trade-off.
secondkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
Have you checked out Ghost Hunt?...
...accept that as a fair narrative trade-off.

I haven't seen Ghost Hunt, but if you say this Mai has a role like Hiyori's, then that's something worth looking into. Smile

I don't imagine yet Yato and Hiyori "marrying off into the sunset" as their way of having a happy ending, because yes, as you said, a big trade-off would have to happen to achieve it. Yato and Hiyori's relationship is an interesting one; it's not really that of star-crossed lovers despite their existential differences. I'm thinking they're more along the lines of Peter Pan and Wendy (and we know how that turned out)…?

Truth is, I don't usually speculate how Noragami will end, more so for Yato and Hiyori; I've always been pleasantly surprised by its narration and whatever it dishes out--tragic or not--I'm sure it will be grounded and well-executed (hopefully). So far, it's an enjoyable ride.
Rensie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:51 am Reply with quote
[EDIT] Please, no Soap Boxing. Please feel free to discuss your particular issue here. Thank you. ~nobahn
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
^ You surely realize that neither Noragami nor Asterisk are responsible for Cavalry's episode count. Perhaps the review and/or series threads for Cavalry would be a more appropriate place to express your frustration?
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:39 am Reply with quote
A real shame about Ebisu. Sad As cute as little Ebisu is, it would have been nice for Yato to have an adult god-buddy...

I liked the first season but this one made me really love the series, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed for a s3.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Already loved this series going in to season 2, and now I love it even more. I can't wait for season 3! But at the same time I'm worried this will get too popular, rush through what's left of the manga, and end up at season 4 like "Okay...we have 5 chapters to work with...WHAT FILLERS DO WE HAVE AVAILABLE?!" As much as I want season 3 RIGHT NOW, I really hope they pace themselves so we don't end up with a bunch of anime-only garbage.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:19 am Reply with quote
Glad the conclusion was strong at least, on the animation side too. Some changes, but mostly for the better. They made Ebisu more of a normal child in the last episode, where he was introduced in the manga as just as innocently awkward and blunt as his adult self.

Only bit I wished they didn't cut was spoiler[young Ebisu inheriting the previous Ebisu's will to live and abandoning conjuring the phantoms himself. Which would've concluded his arc.] Although from Gabriella's review it seemed like viewers got that subtext without it being spoken outloud.

And I wished they devoted a little bit more time to the Father reveal, but eh, that's minor. Same with the Attack on Titan ending, a little bit more time to let the impact sink in.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, I finally gave this show a go when I saw its listing on Netflix and watched the first two episodes. I thought it was fun and enjoyable, if a bit on the trope-y side. You know, like it had what a previous commenter said was those "ew, this guy's on top of me, get off of me pervert!" *slap* kind of moments and vibes to it. I tend to be put off by those types of anime, but with this show it didn't bother me as much because the characters and situations were fun enough to watch.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, does it get to be anything more than that? Because while it's not like my schedule's so packed that I'd be wasting my time giving it the full plunge anyway, I'd just like to know whether or not the show evolves in a significant way or not.

Well I don't think any of that made any sense. I'll probably just watch the entire thing anyway.
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Jayhosh wrote:

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to ask here is, does it get to be anything more than that? Because while it's not like my schedule's so packed that I'd be wasting my time giving it the full plunge anyway, I'd just like to know whether or not the show evolves in a significant way or not.

Yeah it gets to be a lot more than that. It's one of those shows that starts off as if it won't last long and has short action and comedy bits, but it evolves into arcs that make your heart burst. The second season has the two best arcs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12