• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:59 am Reply with quote
Definitely agree that Zenitsu isn't ruining the series but it does drag whenever he's a focal point of attention. I keep expecting that he's eventually going to do something cool enough to justify his presence, but how long is that going to take? This most recent episode sparkles when he's not on the screen.

I also absolutely agree that there needs to be more Nezuko. The explanation provided by ThatMoonGuy about why she might not be used more is both interesting and disappointing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Definitely agree that Zenitsu isn't ruining the series but it does drag whenever he's a focal point of attention. I keep expecting that he's eventually going to do something cool enough to justify his presence, but how long is that going to take? This most recent episode sparkles when he's not on the screen.

I also absolutely agree that there needs to be more Nezuko. The explanation provided by ThatMoonGuy about why she might not be used more is both interesting and disappointing.

If the anime follow the manga correctly next ep will be Zenitsu focus ep. It go deeper into his character. Also small warning for those have arachnophobia, you might mot want to watch the next episode.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:36 am Reply with quote
Yeah, all i could think about while watching this episode was "If you've got such a hard time fighting the spider woman and her puppets why not let Nezuko - who's not some delicate flower but an acutal demon with demon powers - out and quite literally take a load off your back, Tanjiro dearest?!"

While i agree that Boar Guy got a bit less intolerable he is still pretty annoying and Zenitsu definitely needs to get his shit together soon (though i can't help admiring his voice actor a bit, it can't be easy to be in Zenitsu mode all the time...)!
Kharthasus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:01 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Yeah, all i could think about while watching this episode was "If you've got such a hard time fighting the spider woman and her puppets why not let Nezuko - who's not some delicate flower but an acutal demon with demon powers - out and quite literally take a load off your back, Tanjiro dearest?!"

Nezuko might be a demon who can regrow her limbs, but she still feel pain regardless. I'm sure Tanjirou doesn't want his precious sister to get hurt if he can help it.
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Kharthasus wrote:
Merida wrote:

Nezuko might be a demon who can regrow her limbs, but she still feel pain regardless. I'm sure Tanjirou doesn't want his precious sister to get hurt if he can help it.

Not only that, demon powers require blood and since she hasn't feed her powers are limited. That is why she sleeps for a long time after being heavily injured, but don't worry she has a key moment in this arc.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:44 pm Reply with quote
I took a look at the manga after this weeks ep and the brutality inflicted on those 3 slayers doesn't compare to seeing it animated. Really rough to watch.

Changing to the 5th form was really well animated and looked great too. In the manga they explain that the 5th form spoiler[is for when demons offer their own neck and is a more painless and merciful strike.] Not sure why the left that out, but I suppose it can still come up next week.

Overall great episode (really curious to see more of this spider family), but I think Zenitsu could have been cut out and there really wouldn't have been any loss, probably more of a gain...
WizardOfOss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:31 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I was thinking during the puppet fight was those poor fellas would be pretty much harmless without their swords. Without weapons, the best they can do is swarm around Tanhiro and Boar guy like annoying flies. So couldn't Tanjiro and Boar guy just simply have taken those away from them after cutting the wires? Did spider-mom even have that much control over their movements they couldn't have dropped it themselves? And without their weapons, would Spider-mom even be bothered to get them reattached just to kill them, considering she still had an ace up her sleeve?
darkmax

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Zenitsu Agatsuma is so darn loud and annoying.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:44 am Reply with quote
^
He definitely is, but damn, that was a sweet move when he finally got his act together. That the series seems capable of pulling that off on a regular basis is one of the main reasons why I keep watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:23 pm Reply with quote
There seem to be a mistranslation since Breath of Lightning have 6 forms, not 3.
steelmirror

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I keep wanting to like this show so much, keep thinking that THIS time it's finally gotten its act together and really started clicking, and there's always something that happens that crashes me right back out and makes me take a break for a few weeks.

Zenitsu is so darn annoying I couldn't make it through this episode. I assume from the review that his big moment at the end is suitably awesome and dramatic, and boy do I wish I could stand him long enough to get there. But he's just. So. AWFUL.

I'll be back in a few days when the taste in my mouth fades. Also I look forward to next week when we can go back to waiting for my favorite character to be taken out of her box and do anything.
aaa1e2r3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:00 pm Reply with quote
So is Zenitsu's Lightning actually diagetic? Cause I was under the impression it was more just a visual shorthand like when it was with Tanjiro's water
GrilleSechsH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:45 pm Reply with quote
steelmirror wrote:
I keep wanting to like this show so much, keep thinking that THIS time it's finally gotten its act together and really started clicking, and there's always something that happens that crashes me right back out and makes me take a break for a few weeks.

Zenitsu is so darn annoying I couldn't make it through this episode. I assume from the review that his big moment at the end is suitably awesome and dramatic, and boy do I wish I could stand him long enough to get there. But he's just. So. AWFUL.

I'll be back in a few days when the taste in my mouth fades. Also I look forward to next week when we can go back to waiting for my favorite character to be taken out of her box and do anything.

Probably have to wait 2 or 3 episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:52 am Reply with quote
All I really have to say about Zeni is praise the lord for mute buttons. Whining I can cope with, screaming, not so much.

The spider behbehs were pretty cool though, especially the first one that came crawling out. I kinda expected the poison to stop when the watch broke, but since it didn't, my guess is that it will either be rendered ineffective when they take care of SpiDaddy, or else Giyuu and that other Slayer will find him and have some antidote handy. I expect his sparrow will bring them to him in any case.
MiloTheFirst

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:58 am Reply with quote
well, to be clear, I personally never had a problem with Zenitsu being an utter (seemingly) irredeemable coward, my problem were and still are 1) the show depicting his cowardice in the most cartoonish way it can imagine. and 2) the show shoving it on our faces like it is afraid of us forgetting how much of a wimp he is.

Having a main cast member with confidence issues is not even a bad idea, it lends itself for some classic character grow arc. the issue which I am guessing must come all the way from the original manga is the author being too in love with his own sense of humor to realize he is hurting the tone of the story and the audience's willingness to immerse into it

I also did ans still find issue with how how cartoonishly it treats the boar guy's shtick just the same as zenitsu
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 20