• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Art Online: Alicization

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if one good Ep can make up for 23 slow, badly flawed ones but Ep24 was one good one, despite fighting a woman naked (hot, hot! says Chudlekin) Confused Impressive that the long hair kept in place over the "naughty bits" through all that fighting...
Black Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, to be fair, the first half of the show had an awful pacing, it only got better around episode 14 or 15. I don't know what is left in term of content, if the rest is similar to what we have up until now, a three cour would have been better. I don't count the number of time I nearly dropped the show during the first cour. It was so boring. Also, the two episodes of Asuna exposition could have been put through the whole two cour, it wouldn't have broken the rythm and would have done better in the impression it actually mattered. Honestly, the story is not so bad, but the adaptation does so bad. It kind of remind me of FFXII, a good story, but a story telling that is so bad it ruin the game.

Anyway, in the beginning of the series, I seemed to understant there would be a hiatus until the second part? Is it true or not?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Did they explain in the novel why the administrator took Kirito on one handed with a sword? Didn't she have the ultimate magical techniques in that world? couldn't she have just blasted him apart like she did cardinal? She's not exactly the type to fight honorably.
Fred Lougee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:29 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Did they explain in the novel why the administrator took Kirito on one handed with a sword? Didn't she have the ultimate magical techniques in that world? couldn't she have just blasted him apart like she did cardinal? She's not exactly the type to fight honorably.

I don't believe you need to have read the LN to get that answer. She's already established as a sociopath. She destroyed Cardinal with system command attacks to prove that she was the superior and toyed with her in the process, likewise she intended to destroy Kirito with a sword, toying with him in the process. She just didn't know about his two-handed skill because he'd never used it in her world.
deviljho0001

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:22 am Reply with quote
Making it Split cour was a mistake, they really had to end the climax on episode 24 that TONS of things are cut and rushed it's depressing. This should be on episode 28-29, I guess they are going to add side stories to pad this out on the second half.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:18 am Reply with quote
^
Um, no, very little was actually cut beyond the tournament in the one town Kirito and Eugeo passed through on the way to Centoria, and playing that out fully would have only taken at most one more full episode. There were not big trims anywhere else - certainly not enough to amount to another 3-4 episodes. If you think there were, I challenge you to detail them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Impressive that the long hair kept in place over the "naughty bits" through all that fighting...

Well, her hair is prehensile, so not a problem.

Lol at the sword version of Tormorrow's Joe's iconic cross counter, where they lop each other's arm off.

One thing I'll say for this episode is that I think we got the best Kirito reaction faces of the entire franchise. For once, instead of his usual distant look of mild surprise or concern, we saw him look genuinely horrified and just plain worn out. That was nice.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
One thing I'll say for this episode is that I think we got the best Kirito reaction faces of the entire franchise. For once, instead of his usual distant look of mild surprise or concern, we saw him look genuinely horrified and just plain worn out. That was nice.

At this rate, it'll just be a few dozen more iterations on the franchise before Kirito evolves from neural-net-driven chatbot with sudo powers into a real boy.

And that's when we find out that that's the real SAO story. We're in for a real long con.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:16 am Reply with quote
Wow this literally is, without a doubt, the worst SAO series yet. So many problems on top of problems. Who didn't see Asuna's situation happening 100 miles away?

Author sure does like to utilize the creepy pervert rapist villains at lot.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:33 am Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:

Yeah...was I supposed to feel happy that Chudley finally got to rape Quinella at the end? Rolling Eyes
Tylec

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Squidslinger wrote:

Yeah...was I supposed to feel happy that Chudley finally got to rape Quinella at the end? Rolling Eyes

Ugh, days later and that scene is still lingering in my mind and creeping me out.

So, having never touched any of the light novel source material, I'm assuming that Quinella's final plan was to spoiler[ 'abandon ship' and upload her fluctlight into one of Raft's robot bodies as a lifeboat. I'm kind of disappointed that this seems to be the end of her - it would have been interesting to see her conversing with the 'gods' beyond Underworld and the "that person" staff member who's implied to be supporting her. Also, to see how this all-powerful goddess copes with being reduced to a clunky, mechanical body with no power whatsoever to influence her surroundings - becoming a small, ultimately disposable fish a vastly huge pond. ]
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:35 am Reply with quote
Tylec wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Squidslinger wrote:

Ugh, days later and that scene is still lingering in my mind and creeping me out.

So, having never touched any of the light novel source material, I'm assuming that Quinella's final plan was to spoiler[ 'abandon ship' and upload her fluctlight into one of Raft's robot bodies as a lifeboat. I'm kind of disappointed that this seems to be the end of her - it would have been interesting to see her conversing with the 'gods' beyond Underworld and the "that person" staff member who's implied to be supporting her. Also, to see how this all-powerful goddess copes with being reduced to a clunky, mechanical body with no power whatsoever to influence her surroundings - becoming a small, ultimately disposable fish a vastly huge pond. ]

I thought she was jumping into Kirito's body but your idea works too
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 13 of 13