• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:47 am Reply with quote
Momiji is important to Tohru. Perhaps as a loveable and loving spoiler[little brother but, I still think that Momiji was a bit serious when he told Kyo he'd take Tohru away if Kyo wasn't careful. After all, if Kyo got himself locked up in The Room, he wouldn't be able to go out. Tohru certainly wouldn't be able to see him. Hey, Momiji might actually have a chance...it might take awhile of quietly being there with a shoulder for Tohru but... Wink ]

I think Momiji provided Tohru the first real feeling of spoiler[family after she joined the Sohmas. He was so bouncy and huggy and huggable, he just really provided that important link that really gathered/connected the Chain of Chosen Family to Tohru and the Sohmas.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:14 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Momiji is important to Tohru. Perhaps as a loveable and loving spoiler[little brother but, I still think that Momiji was a bit serious when he told Kyo he'd take Tohru away if Kyo wasn't careful. After all, if Kyo got himself locked up in The Room, he wouldn't be able to go out. Tohru certainly wouldn't be able to see him. Hey, Momiji might actually have a chance...it might take awhile of quietly being there with a shoulder for Tohru but... Wink ]

To tell you the truth, I don't think Tohru would have spoiler[ abandoned Kyo so easily. There was woman that lived with Kazuma's grandfather when he was locked away and it seemed at the time that this story stayed in Tohru's heart. So in a way I always felt that this was a valid solution to her mind in case that the curse wasn't broken. I really wouldn't know the degree of seriousness of Momiji's words. I always felt that he actually was really trying to encourage Kyo not to give up. Again the feelings between Kyo and Tohru were always obvious for the others but not for the two envolved. Very Happy ]

I was curious to see the relations that existed between Momiji and spoiler[his father, because we already know that his mother rejected him and just couldn't face the fact that she had a child who would transform in an animal everytime she hugged him. Then again I would have strongly recommended her to talk with Hiro's mother. Maybe she would have learned soemthing useful as "how not to reject your own flesh and blood in ten ways". Shocked However there are very little details about his father, besides the fact that he still has the memory of his son and he's a big boss in the Sohma family. ]

And also Tohru was the link between Momiji and spoiler[his sister, Momo (so cute, just like Kisa - I think that they might have been very good freinds Very Happy). His sister wanted to know more about Momiji because she felt something special for him, she felt that there was a connection between them even though the mother refused to be part of his life. I loved that episode in which Momo started to tell Tohru how much she loved to go and watch Momiji playing the violin. It seemed true that the blood is thicker than the water. ]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Momiji's spoiler[father loves him very much, i think Momiji said that his father would love him enough for two parents. the only problem is that he can't act too fatherly towards him or it may become suspicious to his mother and Momo. when his father told him the Momo was becoming curious, he was deeply apologizing, it was very sad.]

it is too bad that Momijispoiler[can't be anything more than family to Tohru. they would be cute together. but that's Kyo's job.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote
I think that it's too bad for Momiji's father, spoiler[because he was put in a very difficult situation. He thought that family life would be great, he married a beautiful German woman, and had kids. Then his wife rejected their son and was on the brink of self destruction. And so as to protect the family from each other he has to make these hard decisions to keep them apart.]

I also agree that Tohru spoiler[would not have been swayed away from Kyo that easily, even if he were to be locked into the Nekotsuki. She would have fought for his freedom, for sure. Even if it were to put her in danger. It was interesting hearing the story about Kazuma's grandparents, how his grandmother became intimate with his grandfather because she felt pity for him.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
a while ago (future spoilers maybe)spoiler[when i didn't know how the series ended, i thought that here would be at least two people fighting for Kyo's freedom, Tohru and Kazuma. and second, when Momiji was talking to kyo about not giving up, i think he was really trying to encourage Kyo to not give up. to tell him to fight for his feelings.]
elloshiions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:37 pm Reply with quote
whoa, so many spoilers here! i got so curious that i was reading nearly all of them. i have to agree with a lot of what everyone here has to contribute about momiji and tohru and kyo.
i am also curious about spoiler[whether kyo will really be locked into the room like it everyone expects.]
feel so bad for momiji too because of his family issues.. and i also wonder if spoiler[momiji really meant it when he said he would take tohru from kyo if he didn't do anything. i wonder how kyo and tohru would progress late on too.]

omg, according to the second page, spoiler[there will be a total of 22 volumes for this series? so that means... 3 more volumes left for me to be collecting.. :O will that mean it will officially be over this year? that would be like... nearly 4 years of collecting this series for me :O][/spoiler]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
elloshiions wrote:
whoa, so many spoilers here! i got so curious that i was reading nearly all of them. i have to agree with a lot of what everyone here has to contribute about momiji and tohru and kyo.
i am also curious about spoiler[whether kyo will really be locked into the room like it everyone expects.]
feel so bad for momiji too because of his family issues.. and i also wonder if spoiler[momiji really meant it when he said he would take tohru from kyo if he didn't do anything. i wonder how kyo and tohru would progress late on too.]

omg, according to the second page, spoiler[there will be a total of 22 volumes for this series? so that means... 3 more volumes left for me to be collecting.. :O will that mean it will officially be over this year? that would be like... nearly 4 years of collecting this series for me :O][/spoiler]

Twenty-three. Twenty-three...

(Wish I could have commented on Akito and Shigure, as they have the most fascinating dichotomy in the series for me, and really make it worth reading in more depth, but you guys kind of said it all already.)

Momiji has such a heart of gold, as I've said before. He's my favorite character. Like Tohru, he is endlessly thinking of the good of others rather than his own. It's no wonder that he and Tohru so own the fable "The Most Foolish Traveler in the World."

He clearly grows to spoiler[love Tohru, but is willing to step aside for her feelings for Kyo, and his for her, in order to save Kyo, rather than be selfish. He thinks endlessly of his sister and mother's happiness as well, and stands up to Akito to protect others, when I'm SURE the curse makes that difficult. He's like Tohru without the emotional baggage, and unlike Shigure, Razz Laughing , is really a model to follow.]

SPOILERS FOR LATER IN THE MANGA: spoiler[He's even kind to Akito when she tries to make up for her wrongdoing, but doesn't know how to. He tells her the story of "The Most Foolish Traveler in the World." That was a gutwrenching thing to read for me.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Later spoilers: Momiji spoiler[is a mature person when he is willing to step aside for Kyo and Tohru to give Kyo the chance to act on his feelings. For a while I thought that maybe he might act on it, but in the end he didn't. Which is why I really hope that he does find somebody later who will love him as much as he is willing to love other people.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:23 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Later spoilers: Momiji spoiler[is a mature person when he is willing to step aside for Kyo and Tohru to give Kyo the chance to act on his feelings. For a while I thought that maybe he might act on it, but in the end he didn't. Which is why I really hope that he does find somebody later who will love him as much as he is willing to love other people.]

[further spoilers related to the end of the manga in this paragraph]Due to this I was kind of hoping that Takaya-san would spoiler[ offer a closure to his story. But Momiji was left alone just as Kagura, perhaps because Momiji was in love with Tohru and Kagura was in love with Kyo. Confused I felt kind of sad to see that Momiji now freed of the curse wasn't happy. On the one hand he had lost his family because in spite of the fact that the curse was lifted he couldn't be recognized by his family. And on the other hand it was left without the woman that he loved. Ironically, Haru and Rin were the ones to know about all this.]

What I also like about relationship between Tohru and Momiji is that they are partners in crime. Very Happy spoiler[ When Tohru wants to talk to Kureno about Uo-chan and she wants to send him a message it's Momiji who helps her. Not only that he gives to Kureno the DVD with the Cinderella play but also goes back to Tohru, says that the mission is completed and then together they hope for the best. They are so much connected because they are both the type of persons who are warm and kind towards the others and it takes very much to really upset them. I don't know however if we get to see them angry..... Upset maybe, but angry never! ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
[further spoilers related to the end of the manga in this paragraph]Due to this I was kind of hoping that Takaya-san would spoiler[ offer a closure to his story. But Momiji was left alone just as Kagura, perhaps because Momiji was in love with Tohru and Kagura was in love with Kyo. Confused I felt kind of sad to see that Momiji now freed of the curse wasn't happy. On the one hand he had lost his family because in spite of the fact that the curse was lifted he couldn't be recognized by his family. And on the other hand it was left without the woman that he loved. Ironically, Haru and Rin were the ones to know about all this.]

That part is also a sad one too. Momiji spoiler[is freed from the curse yet somehow he still won't be able to be with his mother. But I'm sure that relations will improve with his father and sister. Perhaps there is a reason why we had to have it so there wasn't any closure on his part of the story,] but we might possibly get a short story or something. I would love to see short stories from Takaya again.
elloshiions

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:37 pm Reply with quote
looking at everyone's posts.. that is really sad! feel so bad for little momiji... :[ though i am glad to know that spoiler[tohru and kyo seem to be fine.. and maybe some of the other members? but poor momiji! he has done so much and is so young but understands a lot!! really feel sad for that poor kid..]
i can't wait to read more about this when the remaining manga volumes come out where i live..
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I think Takaya should make a miniseries providing closures and further stories for the cast members. that would give me a nerdgasm.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:45 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
I think Takaya should make a miniseries providing closures and further stories for the cast members. that would give me a nerdgasm.

Here's to hoping! She did make some short story segments here and there that did involve characters from the Tsubasa wo Motsumono series, however the story had nothing to do with canonical prospectives. Who knows what she might do with FB.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I think Momiji was entirely serious when he spoiler[warned Kyo that he'd steal Tohru from him if he didn't get his act together. He's been after her since the hot-springs vacation after all! Wink Seriously, I believe him. He loves Tohru too, not in quite the same way as Kyo but it could turn completely romantic if he let it.]

I think Tohru and Momiji are probably spoiler[the only ones along with Kyo who really feel guilty about losing family too. While clearly Rin was screwed up by her parents, I don't think she feels guilty so much as cursed. When you look at these three though, they actually have reasons to believe themselves to be responsible for their mother's fates. Tohru feels like she failed her after devoting so much effort to help her survive her father's death, Kyo feels like he drove his mother to her death and Momiji knows he's responsible for his mother's situation. (Poor guy, it's her own fault for being so whacked out over a baby bunny!)]

They have a lot in common and their personalities mesh really well. I think Momiji sees Tohru like a sister but at the same time, he knows she's far from related. Maybe like a close childhood friend?

I think it's very telling that Momiji shared so much of his story with Tohru. It must have been very hard for him since he really does blame himself.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
I think what can be considered a factor in the situation not working out for Momiji was that spoiler[Tohru met Kyo before him, so Tohru knew Kyo slightly longer. On top of that, Momiji is younger than Kyo and Tohru, which means at school Kyo and Tohru spend more time together than Momiji does get to spend time with Tohru. It was a case of who got to who first.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 127 of 170