• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:25 am Reply with quote
Plus she had true friends which is more than I can say about Kureno. Being so much ignored by the other juunishi and even more isolated he found very difficult to connect to other people. I remember his sufferenace when spoiler[he talked to Tohru telling her the real reason why he couldn't be together with Arisa when meeting with her in the park. I really thought at the time that he was man who seemed to have lost everything in life. It was painful to see that but then again I am still mad at him that he didn't have the courage to leave Akito although he knew that it was bad for her. Evil or Very Mad ]

Anyways, I can't wait for the next couple! Very Happy
murph76

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
Anyways, I can't wait for the next couple! Very Happy

Whoops! Embarassed I completely forgot to post the new pair last night.

This week is all about Tohru and Rin. Both spoiler[pursuing the same goal, Tohru would like nothing more than to be Rin's friend. Rin wants to keep her out of it, however Tohru won't quit and gives Rin a shoulder to cry on when her world was collapsing.]

I look forward to everyone's comments. Very Happy

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Rin and Tohru have the same goal but Rinspoiler[ has paid and paid and paid for trying to break the curse. Rin has thrown herself time and time again against the brick wall, trying to batter through it.

Tohru, I think, is more like water. Softly, gently undermining the wall and bringing it down. Yes, she is now very much aware of the curse and wants to find a way to break it. But by being herself (water), I think that she is breaking the curse.]

Rin has been hurt so much by the curse that she is spoiler[deliberately trying to keep everyone away from her so that she and they will not be hurt further. Yet by doing so, I think that she is hurting her chances of breaking the very thing she wants to end.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
My first impression about Rin was the fact that she might be the strongest of the juunishi but after her story became unfolded I was deeply impressed not only by the sadness of her life but also how much sh has suffered due to the curse and how her family understood that it must be dealt with. spoiler[I know that we have said this time and time again but her aprents seem to me the worst in all the history of the juunishi equaled only by Kyo's evil parents and maybe by Momiji's mother and Yuki's parents. They bandoned her as soon as they had the chance to do so and I really had the impression that this is all they waited: a chance to get rid of their daughter. It seemed to me that they put that showjust for he sake of it and as soon as the mirror cracked they more than happy to get free. It's horrbile. ]

Perhaps this is what affected very much her perception of the world. She sees Tohru and Haru as being very similar because to her they both are really good persons that don't have to suffer. Sometimes I thought that Rin was trying spoiler[to suffer for the both of them. Though she doesn't admit she feels that Tohru is a really good person and that she really changes the lives of the other. Maybe sometimes she might have been even jelous on her because Tohru is doing what she hasn't been able to do. ]

Somehow their motif of wanting to break the curse is the same: they both spoiler[want to break the curse for the man that they love and for them they are able to do the biggest sacrifices. ]

I liked LydiaDianne's explanation for the different methods that the girls employed in trying to break the curse. I think it was most explanatory. Very Happy[/spoiler]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ah Rin, my zodiac. spoiler[It is a real shame that she tried so hard, only to get nothing. and even though it's not true, she is still battling with the misconception that what happened with her parents was somehow her fault. that's why she was so reluctant to actually get close to Haru]

as for as the relationship between Rina and Tohruspoiler[Rin still feels to awkward around others, so she can;t really express her care and love for Tohru easily]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
as for as the relationship between Rina and Tohruspoiler[Rin still feels to awkward around others, so she can;t really express her care and love for Tohru easily]

Could it be because she has been so badly hurt spoiler[ by her parents? They pretended that they loved her but one day the mirror broke and she remained alone. Also sometimes I got the impression that she was avoiding social contact because she feared that she might be the source of evil for many. There have been many situations when she has refused to be taken care of by Tohru, even though she would have badly needed it. The most explanatory scene would be exactly the first time they met and though Rin felt weak she didn't want anybody's help. She behaved badly with Tohru and she menaced Yuki. I think that somehow she wants to be independent and not to rely upon the others but that it's impossible after a certain point.]

As for her quest for spoiler[breaking the curse, I don't think it was in vain. At least she finally understood that she can't do anything alone and that sometimes it is good to rely upon the others, especially if it is the person that you love (in her case Haru) or a friend (Tohru)]
murph76

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The relationship chart in the fanbook cat has an interesting way to describe these two. The arrow leading from Tohru to Rin reads friendship, but the arrow from Rin to Tohru reads "unable to be herself."

aya_honda wrote:
suna_suna wrote:

Could it be because she has been so badly hurt spoiler[ by her parents? They pretended that they loved her but one day the mirror broke and she remained alone. Also sometimes I got the impression that she was avoiding social contact because she feared that she might be the source of evil for many. There have been many situations when she has refused to be taken care of by Tohru, even though she would have badly needed it. The most explanatory scene would be exactly the first time they met and though Rin felt weak she didn't want anybody's help. She behaved badly with Tohru and she menaced Yuki. I think that somehow she wants to be independent and not to rely upon the others but that it's impossible after a certain point.]

I think this is much of the reason Rin can't be herself around Tohru. Also, I think spoiler[she was embarrassed by crying on and collapsing on Tohru when the stress finally got to her. For someone who wants to be seen as strong and independent, showing that weakness and vulnerability would be a hard thing to move past. ]

aya_honda wrote:
As for her quest for spoiler[breaking the curse, I don't think it was in vain. At least she finally understood that she can't do anything alone and that sometimes it is good to rely upon the others, especially if it is the person that you love (in her case Haru) or a friend (Tohru)]

I agree. I also think Shigure's words spoiler[that the curse is breaking on its own -- without her having to kill herself to make it happen -- at the end of Vol. 18 and the beginning of Vol. 19 helped Rin relax in her quest.] minor spoiler for future volumes spoiler[because after that, we don't see much of Rin trying to break the curse.]

Lydia: Great description of Rin and Tohru's spoiler[different methods to break the curse.] I think you captured it in a very poetic manner. Very Happy

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
murph76 wrote:

Lydia: Great description of Rin and Tohru's spoiler[different methods to break the curse.] I think you captured it in a very poetic manner. Very Happy

-Murph

Thank you.

A lot of the Zodiac have had hard times but Rin really is one of the top 3 IMO.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:28 am Reply with quote
A great scene between the two of them was when spoiler[Rin got out from the hospital and she finally appeared with her hair cut. Tohru loved Rin's hair especially because it was really long and beautiful, but seeing destroyed by Akito.... I just loved as she was crying instead of Rin. She expressed the pain of a true friend. And also Tohru took acare of Rin while she has been in the hospital for the first time and finding out that she likes jam she made some, which of course Rin found delicious just not in front of Tohru.]

But there is also something that Rin gives Tohru and that is strength. In spite of the fact that many times Rin may seem the frailest from the juunishi she is also capable of great things and giving stregth Tohru is one of them. spoiler[She was the one that encouraged Tohru to speak to Kureno and she told her that it was the best way. There was another scene but which is already in the 20th volumes, therefore I will come back later to that.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:12 pm Reply with quote
[Spoilers for next volume]spoiler[Rin is the one who finally helped Tohru realize how she felt about Kyo. it started in volume 14 when she asked Tohru what was the important thing to her, and Tohru was struck speechless because she was torn between Kyo and her Mother. but at that time, Rin didn't press for an answer. then in chapter 114, she asks Tohru again, and that is when Tohru realizes that Kyo is replacing Kyoko in her heart, and she can finally admit that to herself.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Not that it has much to do with character discussion but I finally ordered the volumes of Fruits Basket that I was missing. Cool

I think the most important thing about Rin and Tohru's relationship is the fact that Tohru provides unconditional love. With Rin, she lost that completely when her parents turned on her and she's been fighting to get it ever since. With Haru, she's got romantic love but she felt for a long time, spoiler[until Haru set her straight after the infamous haircut incident, that she was taking from him and giving nothing. Akito helped to screw her up but all she did was play on the beliefs that were already there.] With Tohru, there is no question that she's giving everything to you. Rin was given that unconditional acceptance and care that Tohru gives so freely to everyone around her but she couldn't keep herself thinking it was just her taking from someone.

That's why she spoiler[became so angry and hateful toward Tohru in the beginning. To force away someone she believed she'd hurt by just being the lonely, desperate person she was then. Tohru's almost Rin's mother figure like she is Yuki's! At the very least, she's like a big sister.]
murph76

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Not that it has much to do with character discussion but I finally ordered the volumes of Fruits Basket that I was missing. Cool

Sweet. I'm trying to limit what I buy, so I avoided that Tokyopop sale.

Richard J. wrote:
I think the most important thing about Rin and Tohru's relationship is the fact that Tohru provides unconditional love. With Rin, she lost that completely when her parents turned on her and she's been fighting to get it ever since. With Haru, she's got romantic love but she felt for a long time, spoiler[until Haru set her straight after the infamous haircut incident, that she was taking from him and giving nothing. Akito helped to screw her up but all she did was play on the beliefs that were already there.] With Tohru, there is no question that she's giving everything to you. Rin was given that unconditional acceptance and care that Tohru gives so freely to everyone around her but she couldn't keep herself thinking it was just her taking from someone.

That's why she spoiler[became so angry and hateful toward Tohru in the beginning. To force away someone she believed she'd hurt by just being the lonely, desperate person she was then. Tohru's almost Rin's mother figure like she is Yuki's! At the very least, she's like a big sister.]

You make a good point about spoiler[Rin not wanting to hurt Tohru. However, I also think Rin wanted to avoid being hurt herself. After all that emotional bull her parents put her through, she's afraid of allowing anyone to love her, except maybe Haru. If she avoids the emotional connection, she also avoids the pain that person might cause her. ]

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:25 pm Reply with quote
And if Rin avoids that emotional connection, she spoiler[will not only NOT get hurt but she won't hurt anyone else. She doesn't want to be like Akito...constantly hurting others.]

Off-topic - I've been watching the FB anime...and there is NO WAY that there could be a sequel attached to that. Knowing what I know now from reading the manga, the series would have to be completely redone from the beginning, because it certainly doesn't show Shigure's spoiler[nasty side] and there isn't hide nor hair of Mayu - who is an important character; a small role but important nonetheless.

And then there is the fact of Akito's voice - I'd forgotten what it had sounded like (it's been a while since I've watched the series) but Akito's voice was spoiler[very male. Not even gender neutral like Romi Paku's or Megumi Ogata's can be.]
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:13 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
Off-topic - I've been watching the FB anime...and there is NO WAY that there could be a sequel attached to that. Knowing what I know now from reading the manga, the series would have to be completely redone from the beginning, because it certainly doesn't show Shigure's spoiler[nasty side] and there isn't hide nor hair of Mayu - who is an important character; a small role but important nonetheless.
I think that could be handled by an anime-only episode or two to add in Mayu and talk about Shigure's spoiler[darker side, especially if you combine the two so it's Mayu pointing out his dark side and flashing back to their "relationship." Plus a few other moments from the manga]. It would be tricky but I think it could be done.

LydiaDianne wrote:
And then there is the fact of Akito's voice - I'd forgotten what it had sounded like (it's been a while since I've watched the series) but Akito's voice was spoiler[very male. Not even gender neutral like Romi Paku's or Megumi Ogata's can be.]
As we all know from listening to certain VAs in different roles, voices can be made to sound all sorts of different ways. Just throw in an explainer where spoiler[Ren (evil mama not the black-haired beauty) says that she forced Akito to train her voice to sound like that. It's probably not as necessary in the Japanese as the English but it would surely help both to get around the "Akito's like a man" problem.]

I do agree that a whole new series would be for the best but it might end up being like the second Negima! series. What would rock would be an arc-based adapation taking, say, just the first part up the end of spoiler[the Kyo goes monster cat arc.] If they'd waited to introduce the next members of the Zodiac and maybe done a little more filler of Hana- and Uo-chan, the first series could have been much stronger.

Of course, I don't think most people knew that spoiler[Akito was going to be woman] in the end!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

Of course, I don't think most people knew that spoiler[Akito was going to be woman] in the end!

As a person who firstly watched the anime and then read the manga, I can definetly say that I wasn't expecting that. A second season of this anime based on the manga wouldn't be impossible to produce with a little hard work but then again it might have the unexpected result: some people weren't interested in the second season of this anime. I had the friend who introduced me to the anime and after I told her that so much more was going on in the manga she wasn't particulalrly impressed by it and said that the anime offered her more than enough. Now you and me and some others know it to be true but unfortunately it doesn't actually mean that a second season of the anime would really have a success. Not many people feel the need. Plus if I'm not wrong I read somewhere that Takaya-san was very much upset on the producing studio and that she wasn't interested in producing a second season. I think that even changing the studio wouldn't help much.

I watched the anime with a Spanish dub. It wasn't bad at all but Akito's voice was really spoiler[ masculinized and trust me it would have been very difficult to make that voice be feminine again. ]

Coming back to the relationship that Rin and Tohru have.
spoiler[I liked the episode when Haru goes to the hospital to visit Rin but she doesn't want to see him and then Tohru goes and she is received. It was a happy face that Haru made when he found out about that because Tohru seems the right erson for the job, namely to be Rin's friend. I think that she is about the only one who can have the needed patience and at the same time the forgiving soul, that wouldn't mind the harsh things that Rin spills every once in a while. ][/spoiler]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 135 of 170