• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Goblin Slayer [2018-10-14]

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:49 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
The gob champ actually would have raped Priestess if not for the fact that GS attacked him from behind when he did. Remember that he had Priestess in his hand for a few minutes. If he wanted to kill her then he would have done so in the first bite and he's certainly strong enough to do so. It doesnt matter to these guys whether their prey is alive and kicking or slowly dying. If the girl dies before reproducing theyll just eat her and hunt for more.

Huh? No, he wanted to eat her and savor her suffering. Unless the explicit rape motive for the champion was from the LN, I haven't read that.
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:59 am Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Zof wrote:
There are a lot of things that don't add up. It feels like he was set up from the start. Like, the Sword Maiden has some deal and they were never supposed to succeed. Just give the appearance that she's doing something. I could be way wrong. Also, he very well could be dead. It's time for that 7th episode show changer. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if the remaining episodes are prequel ones that show his origin, life as a boy, etc, then he still gets resurrected in the end.

Its like I told that other guy. The deal with Sword Maiden will be explained at the end of this arc as long as White Fox does it properly. And also spoiler[this arc is far from over].

Thanks
MaskOfBrutality

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Do champions no longer reproduce? It just seemed odd that every other goblin just can't wait to start raping female adventurers being so focused on raping that they will let a dwarf smash their heads in one by one, but the goblin champion immediately tried to inflict a quite potentially fatal wound. I was thinking perhaps it was related to intelligence, but even the ogre (who seemed to have more intelligence than the gob champion) intended to spare the girls so the goblins could rape them.

Maybe the Goblin Champion just ain't into loli? Let's not judge the fella, just because they're goblins don't mean they don't have preferences, he clearly likes a bit of meat on the bone. That and the other, lesser goblins ain't fussy and happy for any morsel they can get.
GhostD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:42 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
GhostD wrote:
The gob champ actually would have raped Priestess if not for the fact that GS attacked him from behind when he did. Remember that he had Priestess in his hand for a few minutes. If he wanted to kill her then he would have done so in the first bite and he's certainly strong enough to do so. It doesnt matter to these guys whether their prey is alive and kicking or slowly dying. If the girl dies before reproducing theyll just eat her and hunt for more.

Huh? No, he wanted to eat her and savor her suffering. Unless the explicit rape motive for the champion was from the LN, I haven't read that.

It wasnt explicitly stated that rape was the main motive but its not hard to guess really. What is stated is that they torture and rape the girls as much as possible and then eat them when they die. They usually keep girls alive for that purpose but future LN volumes have stated other reasons.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:09 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
It wasnt explicitly stated that rape was the main motive but its not hard to guess really. What is stated is that they torture and rape the girls as much as possible and then eat them when they die. They usually keep girls alive for that purpose but future LN volumes have stated other reasons.

The novels are extremely clear about how goblins mentally operate. They will kidnap women for breeding, but it's very rare for an adventurer to end up being kept for that reason. The reason is because goblins are instinctively vengeful and while they don't actually care about sacrificing other goblins to survive, there is this strange switch in their brain that compels them to torture and kill anyone who harmed another goblin from their nest in a manner as violent as possible.

This is consistent with the Fighter from episode 1, who is neither raped nor survives the chapter in the novel, the party of female adventurers from the forest fortress, and the elven scout from the ogre's nest.

Nobody knows if this is how goblins evolved to distinguish between an easy slave and onee who might cause them trouble in the future, but the novels make it very clear that goblins always kill adventurers who proved dangerous to their nest and they prefer to do to as slowly and painfully as possible.
Zof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:01 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
this is the controversial anime of the season, after all.

SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
The novels are extremely clear about how goblins mentally operate. They will kidnap women for breeding, but it's very rare for an adventurer to end up being kept for that reason. The reason is because goblins are instinctively vengeful and while they don't actually care about sacrificing other goblins to survive, there is this strange switch in their brain that compels them to torture and kill anyone who harmed another goblin from their nest in a manner as violent as possible.

This is consistent with the Fighter from episode 1, who is neither raped nor survives the chapter in the novel, the party of female adventurers from the forest fortress, and the elven scout from the ogre's nest.

It looked like both girls got raped in episode 1 to me though? The only one who wasn't was the guy. And was that elf they found not an adventurer?

You're saying the murder and rape of the adventurers is actually for a different reason than the rape of the kidnapped girls who are the only ones the goblins usually keep around for reproduction?

That would certainly explain why the goblin champion wasn't especially concerned about raping the priest. It seems like the anime should have explained that a bit more.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:22 pm Reply with quote
While I'm not particularly bothered by the content being shown, I don't think I would appreciate detailed exposition about the mechanics of "when to rape, when to murder, when to eat." I'm okay with "they're bad news!"
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
While I'm not particularly bothered by the content being shown, I don't think I would appreciate detailed exposition about the mechanics of "when to rape, when to murder, when to eat." I'm okay with "they're bad news!"

I can see why you might feel that way. To me, if they don't offer a consistent explanation for why the goblins do it then it feels like their entire use of rape in the first place falls apart. If they're going to beat me in the face constantly with this mechanic as a core point, I kind of expect them to actually treat it as a core mechanic. It sounds like the books do exactly that though.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:09 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
It looked like both girls got raped in episode 1 to me though? The only one who wasn't was the guy. And was that elf they found not an adventurer?

You're saying the murder and rape of the adventurers is actually for a different reason than the rape of the kidnapped girls who are the only ones the goblins usually keep around for reproduction?

That would certainly explain why the goblin champion wasn't especially concerned about raping the priest. It seems like the anime should have explained that a bit more.

I was saying that the novels lay out extremely specific rules for how goblins behave, and one of those rules is that goblins always kill or torture to death anyone who killed another goblin, regardless of that person's gender or any other features. The anime does break those rules on a bunch of occasions, presumably because it was animated by an edgy fourteen-year old.

I was mostly cutting in because of GhostD's insinuation that rape was totally going to happen. I'm sort of completely and utterly sick of how people automatically expect sexual assault to happen to every single woman who gets hurt in this show because of the crass first episode.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The canary itself turns out to be a waste though. It alerts the team to the presence of poison gas just as some obviously dangerous gas is clearly being pumped into the room. It's mainly a prop to demonstrate Goblin Slayer's preparedness.

I think the gas was visible more for the audiences sake than it actually being visible for the group in the show. Like how we can clearly see the protection spell, but usually when it's used the goblins act like they can't see it's there (like the first of them that ran head first into it at the start of the fight).
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
GhostD wrote:

Nobody knows if this is how goblins evolved to distinguish between an easy slave and onee who might cause them trouble in the future, but the novels make it very clear that goblins always kill adventurers who proved dangerous to their nest and they prefer to do to as slowly and painfully as possible.

First of all, yes they would kill anyone who seemed to be a threat and they are certainly very vengeful. But as for keeping adventurer women for breeding or as 'toys' is not as "very" rare as you say. I said that they USUALLY keep girls alive. The only reason they didn't to the female party was because of how pissed they were at the women for killing so many of them but the novels stated that they kept the leader alive as a sex slave for a while before finally killing her. If she had somehow lived long enough theres little doubt that she would have given birth to more goblins. The novels also shows a short story thats also featured in the Brand New Day manga of a female adventurer that was being kept as a sex slave and they even took her weapon for their own. Another case was the elven scout who did survive. While its not stated how long she had been captive its clear she was abused a lot.

Second, Fighter did get raped. Hell it was her rape that triggered the whole rage about the rape but she survived in the end. The events of the first ep is actually faithful to the novels and it was stated and shown that she was being carted to a temple along with other survivors to be treated but she was too traumatized by the tragedy and retired.

Quote:
I was mostly cutting in because of GhostD's insinuation that rape was totally going to happen. I'm sort of completely and utterly sick of how people automatically expect sexual assault to happen to every single woman who gets hurt in this show because of the crass first episode.

Third, that actually is the common belief of what was about to go down. It was clear as day that the smaller goblins tried to rape High Elf Archer and she's more of a threat than Priestess. No the novels didn't state that that was going to happen to Priestess but why else would the champion keep her alive instead of killing her outright when she was completely under his power?

I may just be insinuating but Im basing it on the goblins' history, their standard behavior and what was stated in the novels plus some reading between the lines. If my insinuations make you sick then too bad. Its clear youre quite sensitive to the topic.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
First of all, yes they would kill anyone who seemed to be a threat and they are certainly very vengeful. But as for keeping adventurer women for breeding or as 'toys' is not as "very" rare as you say. I said that they USUALLY keep girls alive. The only reason they didn't to the female party was because of how pissed they were at the women for killing so many of them but the novels stated that they kept the leader alive as a sex slave for a while before finally killing her. If she had somehow lived long enough theres little doubt that she would have given birth to more goblins.

Here is the actual page that describes what happened to adventurers in the forest fortress, complete with... actually, total non-existence of what you're claiming those descriptions contain.

GhostD wrote:
Second, Fighter did get raped. Hell it was her rape that triggered the whole rage about the rape but she survived in the end. The events of the first ep is actually faithful to the novels and it was stated and shown that she was being carted to a temple along with other survivors to be treated but she was too traumatized by the tragedy and retired.

Once again, I'm going to simply provide the full text from the original novel that covers the Fighter's fight with the goblins as it plays.

Page #1, Page #2, Page #3.

There is also a brief mention of Priestess spotting "Fighter's body" on page 46,and the sight of it is so horrible that half a page is dedicated to Priestess vomiting in horror. It's made just about as clear as possible that she didn't survive the chapter. When the end of the chapter talks about how the lone survivor in these incidents usually retires due to their trauma, it actually highlights the Priestess in order to explain how she's different from most beginners.

GhostD wrote:
Third, that actually is the common belief of what was about to go down. It was clear as day that the smaller goblins tried to rape High Elf Archer and she's more of a threat than Priestess. No the novels didn't state that that was going to happen to Priestess but why else would the champion keep her alive instead of killing her outright when she was completely under his power?

I may just be insinuating but Im basing it on the goblins' history, their standard behavior and what was stated in the novels plus some reading between the lines. If my insinuations make you sick then too bad. Its clear youre quite sensitive to the topic.

Reading between the lines involves building on insinuations the author inserted into the novel, not completely replacing them with your preferred reading. Just because you decided that Goblin Slayer is some kind of grotesque rape fetish extravaganza, doesn't actually mean it is so--and yes, I can keep on pulling up specific pages to showcase that no, what you claim happens in the novels is actually only very vaguely insinuated at most, and is actually outright non-existent most of the time.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Here is the actual page that describes what happened to adventurers in the forest fortress, complete with... actually, total non-existence of what you're claiming those descriptions contain.

Once again, I'm going to simply provide the full text from the original novel that covers the Fighter's fight with the goblins as it plays.

Page #1, Page #2, Page #3.

There is also a brief mention of Priestess spotting "Fighter's body" on page 46,and the sight of it is so horrible that half a page is dedicated to Priestess vomiting in horror. It's made just about as clear as possible that she didn't survive the chapter. When the end of the chapter talks about how the lone survivor in these incidents usually retires due to their trauma, it actually highlights the Priestess in order to explain how she's different from most beginners.

Reading between the lines involves building on insinuations the author inserted into the novel, not completely replacing them with your preferred reading. Just because you decided that Goblin Slayer is some kind of grotesque rape fetish extravaganza, doesn't actually mean it is so--and yes, I can keep on pulling up specific pages to showcase that no, what you claim happens in the novels is actually only very vaguely insinuated at most, and is actually outright non-existent most of the time.

I cant give links to those exact pages but Im certain you have the same copy I do. With regards to Fighter, here are the lines from page 44.

"During their captivity, the girls had been forced to serve as the goblins' playthings. In despair, they take shelter at the Temple. The lone survivor slips away from the world and never leaves home again".

Do you really need to have Fighter mentioned directly just to prove she was included in that? If the lone survivor referred to Priestess then the description obviously does not match what happens to her in the future.

Yes the female party was annihilated but you didn't post the page where the tragedy started. Again Ill just quote one paragraph that should explain it which can be found in page 76.

"The exposed bodies, clothes brutally torn away, were each different, but all showed the effects of long training. Their skin was sunbaked, with scars that spoke of old wounds, and each time they were played with, hardened muscles were visible through a layer of supple fat."

Do you have to see the exact and specific words to know what was going on? Yes they were brutally tortured and killed outright instead of being kept as baby makers but the manga (also published by YP and is very faithful to the novels albeit more explicit) and the anime shows them to be naked like it was described. Aside from the torture its not hard to assume what else is meant by "Played With" especially because no specific time frame was given to the others besides the leader on how long they lasted or what else happened before they died. This is what is meant by reading between the lines which, by definition, means to find meanings that are intended but that are not directly expressed in something said or written. If my insinuations on this is wrong then fine but as far as I'm concerned right now this what I believe.

And I did not say or decide that GS was some kind of rape fetish extravaganza. Now you're the one insinuating things so don't you put words in my mouth. And in case it might cross your mind, I do not enjoy seeing those women treated the way that they were.
Ashabel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
I cant give links to those exact pages but Im certain you have the same copy I do. With regards to Fighter, here are the lines from page 44.

"During their captivity, the girls had been forced to serve as the goblins' playthings. In despair, they take shelter at the Temple. The lone survivor slips away from the world and never leaves home again".

Do you really need to have Fighter mentioned directly just to prove she was included in that? If the lone survivor referred to Priestess then why didn't she never leave her home again?

Page #46, Page #47, Page #48

Here are the last three pages of the first chapter in their entirety. So no, you don't need to have Fighter mentioned directly in order to prove that she's included in that, but given that the last time she's mentioned is in the context of Priestess throwing up at the sight of her "body", it's pretty obvious that those lines are about the actual sole survivor of the incident and what makes her different from the norm.

GhostD wrote:
Yes the female party was annihilated but you didn't post the page where the tragedy started. Again Ill just quote one paragraph that should explain it which can be found in page 76.

"The exposed bodies, clothes brutally torn away, were each different, but all showed the effects of long training. Their skin was sunbaked, with scars that spoke of old wounds, and each time they were played with, hardened muscles were visible through a layer of supple fat."

Do you have to see the exact and specific words to know what was going on? This is what is meant by reading between the lines which, by definition, means to find meanings that are intended but that are not directly expressed in something said or written.

Page #85, Page #86, Page #87, Page #88

I mean, sure, I'll go ahead and share that sequence as well; I'm not greedy.

Hmmm, curious - aside of that one particular paragraph, that is now revealed within complete context to be intentionally abrasive in order to serve as a setup for increasingly graphic descriptions of violence, there is no mention of sex slaves whatsoever. There is, however, time spent to describe the goblins' peculiar characteristic of both not caring about each other's lives and being disproportionately violent toward anyone who killed another goblin in front of them.

GhostD wrote:
I did not say or decide that GS was some kind of rape fetish extravaganza and in case it might enter your mind, I do not enjoy seeing those women treated the way they were. Dont you put words in my mouth.

I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I was making light of how every time you "insinuate" about something from the novel\s text, it somehow grows roughly six times more rape than it actually contains.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 25