• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma [2015-04-11]

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
I can't say much for the anime breast physics but SAEKI Shun (the artist for the series) used to be a pretty popular hentai mangaka (by the pen name of Tosh) so most of the fanservice scenes are just that, service for his original fans who followed him over from his older works.

It's worse in the anime since they tend to drag out the fanservice scenes while they are only single frames in the manga. One of those problems with translating a manga into an anime.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Couldn't help but wonder why Ikumi's boobs kept bouncing when she was standing perfectly still. Then I remembered "Duh, shounen anime logic".

This series is going to get a season 2 since, like Assassination Classroom, there's so much more content that hasn't been shown. The nicknames for all the characters were nuts like the Prince of Smoke or how each judge were going specifically into each dish and why it was so amazing. There's a Food Wars cookbook out there and it needs an English translation pronto. Glad the season will end with Akira vs Souma even if the tension is quished into one episode.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:51 am Reply with quote
ok, here it is, 4 paragraphs complaining about fanservice and boobs and one of actual review, for the ones saying that I exagerated when I said the ocassional review would spend more time complaining about fanservice than reviewing the actual episode.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:
ok, here it is, 4 paragraphs complaining about fanservice and boobs and one of actual review, for the ones saying that I exagerated when I said the ocassional review would spend more time complaining about fanservice than reviewing the actual episode.

I'd say those complaints were completely valid.

Boobs are nice, but the Autonomous Intimidation Gainaxing was completely unnecessary; instead of titillating it was just distracting.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:39 am Reply with quote
Pretty fair review for Episode 23 although I think I enjoyed it more than RB did.
Silverman wrote:
apparently at Totsuki, women's breasts can move on their own to complement her emotions.

I hate to admit it but I actually have body parts that can do that. I would bet money that women do too. I've seen my share of erect nipples.

But I would have not noticed any of it had not the review (actually a series of them now) fixated on it so much. Having awareness of it now seems more to me that it is just one of the many exaggerations that makes much of the whole anime work. Hint: people don't really get magically transported to exotic locales because they tasted something they liked. I doubt they even really swoon either. Or lose their clothes. Their faces don't really distort like that (mostly) and -- yes -- their breasts don't move like that any more than their hair does.

I guess what makes it work for me is that I have among my friends a few "foodies." One of them is a cofounder of a 2-star Michelin rated restaurant. And a lot of their associates do act a lot like the impassioned characters in FW-SnS do. Not just their reactions to tasting something, but their intense analysis and very real knowledge of technique, method, history and ingredients. FW-SnS manages to make fun of that without belittling it.
Quote:
On the bright side, the food itself is still interesting, as are the explanations.

Hai. But if the anime was nothing but that the whole thing would be nothing but boring.

On another point I did notice that the fan service was female-based for this episode. Past episodes have been pretty much even handed but I don't see how that really is a detriment unless you just don't like fan service to begin with.

Last point: I should have realized I wouldn't get to see how Soma pulls out an improbable win this time. After all of this episode and the last it will be pretty hard to make it convincing.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I love anime breast physics, it's better than real life there the things just flop down all boring-like.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
On another point I did notice that the fan service was female-based for this episode. Past episodes have been pretty much even handed but I don't see how that really is a detriment unless you just don't like fan service to begin with.

If you go back and read the complaints at the beginning of the thread, you'll see it's not because there's fan service, but that it's not welcome when it's directed solely at bitchy women who need some comeuppance by humiliating them with forced foodgasms.

I thought we'd left that behind 20 episodes ago, so seeing it rear its ugly head again was really disappointing and off-putting. There are five judges and the only one they felt the need to shame that way was the lone woman. You'd think food-judging would be ripe for having at least one pompous male judge who needs to be put in his place, but no.

I thought the spring-loaded boobs this episode were silly to the point of hilarious, though not particularly offensive, but the treatment of Natsume left a bad taste in my mouth.

Btw, I'm also getting kind of tired of a variety of posters saying that if you don't like a particular kind of fan-service or a particular instance of fan service, you hate all fan-service, as well as sex in general. You didn't go quite that far, but someone is probably about to again, like they do whenever the topic comes up and already have in this thread.
Clodus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
Sometimes the way anime thinks breasts works is enough to give you nightmares. (Or at least a major fit of the giggles.) This penultimate episode of Food Wars is a stunning example of the questionable physics involved in anime bosoms – apparently at Totsuki, women's breasts can move on their own to complement her emotions. When you think about it, that means that they are apparently sentient, able to comprehend the thoughts of the female they're attached to in order to bounce menacingly as Nikumi tries to intimidate Natsume or to flip up when Natsume is excited by the taste of a dish. Gosh, what a world to live in!

LOL thanks for that. I was laughing so hard. The sad part is that its actually true. I'm not really a fan service show kind of guy but things like these can be amusing too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:14 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

Btw, I'm also getting kind of tired of a variety of posters saying that if you don't like a particular kind of fan-service or a particular instance of fan service, you hate all fan-service, as well as sex in general. You didn't go quite that far, but someone is probably about to again, like they do whenever the topic comes up and already have in this thread.

This. My RL sex life and my opinions on anime breast physics have not a damn thing to do with one another.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Super disappointing that the next ep is the last one.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
maximilianjenus wrote:

I'd say those complaints were completely valid.

Boobs are nice, but the Autonomous Intimidation Gainaxing was completely unnecessary; instead of titillating it was just distracting.

I don't think his point was that the complaints aren't valid. I can often see why the reviewers here have a problem with something (though I think a fair amount of it is making a mountain out of a mole hill).

My issue, and I think it might be his as well, is that sometimes it seems like the review for an entire episode gets hijacked so the writer can rant about something. I find that especially annoying early in the season when I don't really know what some of the series are about and the review for one of the first episodes focuses primarily on what is actually not the major focus.

For example, take episode 23 of this series. To me, the skill of the other north star dorm mates had a good bit of focus in the episode. One of which was fairly surprising given that he had been previously portrayed as barely scraping by. Not even mentioned in the review. Other parts got the most brief mention possible. This was suppose to be an episode review. I have no problem with the review containing a detailed section about why the fan service made the writer uncomfortable. In fact, I think that is important to point out as different people have different tolerances to different types of fan service, and that seems like something a person might appreciate being given a heads up on. Just don't skimp on covering the rest. Really either the review needed to be double its current length or the sections about Natsume cut in half to allow room to cover everything else.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Ep 26 review.

Well damn. I had thought Rebecca would make it through a whole review without complaining about breasts and she almost -- almost! -- managed it. Oh, well. At least her review including that part is really well done.

Speaking of breasts whatever happened to Nikumi's? For once she dropped the trashy getup and I for one thought it a pretty good improvement. But it looked like she lost half her mass somewhere.

All that aside I would like to know more about the notion that FW-SnS isn't expecting a second season. True, the ending seems to be a bit weak given that it ends halfway through a major contest rather than at the end of it. The argument that this is supposed to be the bait to pick up the manga applies equally well to waiting for the next season. I think the next season will be decided by external factors such as sales numbers.

As far as the story itself goes, it seems pretty clear that it has played out its basic format: challenge -> build-up -> cook-off -> food-gasms -> analysis/history -> Soma Wins Again! How many more times can they work that chain? I would never have predicted they could go this far with that so I don't have the answer but I think overuse has made the finish feel week.

One way to pick up again is to finally start exploring the relationships as much as the cooking, and not make it all about the girls now focused on Soma. Keep the cooking competitions but make it second to that. I haven't read the source material to see if they do this but that is what I would do.

Either way I would vote for another season.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:17 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:

Well damn. I had thought Rebecca would make it through a whole review without complaining about breasts and she almost -- almost! -- managed it. Oh, well. At least her review including that part is really well done.

Laughing Hey, I'm trying! Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19