• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Niconico Removes Streams for Several Anime Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote
I've used Funi Streaming site and I do not think it looks that bad. I've put stuff on 720P (some stuff can do that) and it looks okay to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Why is CR the only one who can do this right? Hell, they make it look easy

Perhaps because they're not trying to walk a thin line between streaming and physical disc sales? CR has no incentive to encumber its product since it only cares about meeting the needs of streaming viewers.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Gezz I only find Funi's whole webstite a slow and unintuitive mess in general. I really don't get niconico in general. the whole thing was ways suspicious to me
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:28 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Gezz I only find Funi's whole webstite a slow and unintuitive mess in general. I really don't get niconico in general. the whole thing was ways suspicious to me

Suspicious? NicoNico is a giant Japanese video streaming service, kinda like their Youtube. Nothing is suspicious about it...
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
The only thing I don't like is that some shows (Milky Holmes for sure) were linear loading and you couldn't jump ahead in the video until that section had already loaded. It's a per video thing though as Future Diary would let you skip around in the video and it would just buffer to get you there.

Future Diary is a Kadokawa series, and all Kadokawa series do that on Nico (for whatever reason).
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Why is CR the only one who can do this right? Hell, they make it look easy

Perhaps because they're not trying to walk a thin line between streaming and physical disc sales? CR has no incentive to encumber its product since it only cares about meeting the needs of streaming viewers.

Funimation is supposedly trying to build a subscriber streaming base around streams of dubbed series ... but putting up their series as widely as possible (niconico, Hulu, Crackle, once YouTube and ANN, etc.), which makes sense for a DVD distributor trying to get more people interested in a series so they'll buy the DVD, it doesn't channel people into your site, and the people using your site as a free streaming site are your strongest target market to sell subscriptions to.

They may have shut down their Personal Computer DTO, but nobody else has cracked general DTO either ~ as far as the PSN / Xbox / iTunes style DTO, they seem to be rolling right along. That might be a better fit to their skillset than streaming.
strike_zero00

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Post should be updated now that Niconico has left a response to the matter: http://blog.niconico.com/information/2012/04/programs-and-shows.html
labmember001

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

Suspicious? NicoNico is a giant Japanese video streaming service, kinda like their Youtube. Nothing is suspicious about it...

Is the .com one related to the Japanese one? I was always a little confused by this, as it only seems to have streaming anime. Or am I just missing something?
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if they are moving them from the "currently ongoing" area to the "archives" area and they just haven't got the pages done yet?
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
labmember001 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
yamiangie wrote:

Is the .com one related to the Japanese one? I was always a little confused by this, as it only seems to have streaming anime. Or am I just missing something?

www.niconico.com and www.nicovideo.jp are indeed connected to each other. Your login info on one site works on the other even.

NicoNico.com is an attempt by nicovideo to reach out to English speakers. In addition to allowing users to upload their own videos, it provides some official anime streams as well.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Just wondering if the people complaining about Funimations player are subscribers or not? I am a subscriber and I haven't had any problems with it (or are my standers just lower).

Anyways as for Nico Nico I don't normally watch anime on it mainly because they don't really have any shows that I wanted to see, and the shows they were going to have that I wanted to see this season are on Funimations website so no loss for me.
ironchapman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:26 pm Reply with quote
NicoNico has addressed this on their Facebook page:

Quote:
We are currently updating are programming and website.
We appreciate your understanding if there are shows that are no longer available in the meantime.

On the subject of streaming, I noticed that one of these release dates is not like the others, heh. http://twitpic.com/98ew5u
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
050795 wrote:
Just wondering if the people complaining about Funimations player are subscribers or not? I am a subscriber and I haven't had any problems with it (or are my standers just lower).

Anyways as for Nico Nico I don't normally watch anime on it mainly because they don't really have any shows that I wanted to see, and the shows they were going to have that I wanted to see this season are on Funimations website so no loss for me.

I have no problems either I just have to remember to set the shows to 720P if they have that I am good to go.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
The Niconico streams/simulcasts aren't exactly good. I've watched a number of shows (particularly Fate/Zero) and all I can say is poor subs (translation wise), which eventually carried over to the Blu-Rays released here and made me feel disgusted that I paid effectively $400 for sub-par translations of a huge title. And don't even get me started on video quality for these streams

I also tried Black Rock Shooter, Haganai, and Last Exile but often noticed they aren't always "simulcasts" and more often delayed quite a bit than not. Does anyone even remember if FuNico streamed the "recap" episodes for Last Exile? Black Rock Shooter seemed at least somewhat passable though...still trying to find time to finish it.

With CrunchyRoll at least providing passable/watchable translations and quality, Funimation and The Anime Network continues to lag behind. Though I am also starting to be a little skeptical with CrunchyRoll as well, in particular to sequel/continuation titles, since they did not picking up Cardfight!! Vanguard 2.

It's a good attempt at what Funimation and Niconico are trying to do, but quality and effort wise, it's quite poor. Not to mention, there really wasn't much advertising done for a lot of these titles or this feature except for Funimation doing some at conventions for Guilty Crown and Last Exile 2. Stuff like Shana III was probably avoided like the plague as Shana II was never released here despite Funimation licensing it years ago and C3, Mirai Nikki, and Maken-Ki! were basically titles unheard of for the most part here.

I should also note, that unlike the Japanese nicovideo comments, the English nicovideo comments are often quite rude or irrelevant to the video content. But that's most likely just my preference. Usually the exception are Miku videos where everyone seems to praise her like the goddess.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Though I am also starting to be a little skeptical with CrunchyRoll as well, in particular to sequel/continuation titles, since they did not picking up Cardfight!! Vanguard 2.

If Bushiroad didn't license it to them, its not much Crunchyroll can do about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5