• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - And I Feel Fine

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yttrbio wrote:
]So the show says. But almost never shows. That is, the point isn't made. I can think of maybe two examples of this occurring in the shows, one of which is highly irregular and not supposed to be used by anyone in the show.

While we don't see the protagonists doing it all that often, it was established and demonstrated. What more do you need? Do they have to use the acceleration to do some miscellaneous action just to remind you that it exists?

I think the problem is (and this is something I've thought about a bit, it just hasn't had any impact on my enjoyment of the show) that we're not seeing what they're getting out of that real world power. Yes, they have it, but.... so what if they lose it? Sure, it can be useful in emergency situations as shown in the first arc when Kuroyukihime saved Haru's life, but outside of that, it doesn't seem to have any significant impact on their lives. So permanently losing it doesn't mean much, at least to us viewers. They seem to just be taking a VR MMO figher much, much more seriously than most people do. Which is true to some extent, as Kuroyukihime's goal is to reach level 10 and figure out the truth about Brain Burst. But it does make the consequences for everyone else (and to some degree, even the main characters) seem pretty minor.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Re: Accel World
(missing the recent discussion because I took too long to post)

I don't have any problem seeing why it would be so devastating to lose Brain Burst. It seems like if you lost it, it would be like losing one of your senses. Other than the gsame it does have rteal world application. You can effectively "pause" yourself anywhere- that is a serious ability that you would lose if you were uninstalled. ANd there are grander applications too. I mean, in the last few episodes they introduced that area where you could bassically spend years of life experience while only letting a few seconds real world time pass by. They present it as a choice you might not want to make, especially as a young person, a place where you mature and change as a person while your body and the outside world stays the same, but this is a seriously powerful ability and to lose such a thing would feel devastating.
I also see that there's an implication that if you could "win the game." It could very well have real world applications, we just don't know what those applications would be. It all seems to be a test to see if a player who wins is worthy to handle the responsibility.

That said, I'm still postponing it and waiting to see what final judgements are from others. That's what I did with Future Diary and Guilty Crown and I'm so glad I didn't bother watching the second halves of those if what the majority of what people say about them is true.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

That said, I'm still postponing it and waiting to see what final judgements are from others. That's what I did with Future Diary and Guilty Crown and I'm so glad I didn't bother watching the second halves of those if what the majority of what people say about them is true.

Hey, the second half of Mirai Nikki was great!
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:

Future Diary is pretty good as long as you don't take it very seriously (which you should have stopped doing as soon as Minenen pulled a fired missiles from and pulled a motorcycle out of her skirt) and just enjoy the insanity. It's not very good if your watching it for serious and compelling character development or anything resembling a serious take on its premise. It's sheer, batshit insanity.

As for Guilty Crown... yeah, probably no point. Even the people that "liked" it seem to agree by the end that's its pretty bad show and was worth watching only for the discussion it generated. I stopped giving a damn at about episode 10, right when (or right before) it went on a several week break.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:01 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
As for Guilty Crown... yeah, probably no point. Even the people that "liked" it seem to agree by the end that's its pretty bad show and was worth watching only for the discussion it generated. I stopped giving a damn at about episode 10, right when (or right before) it went on a several week break.

Guilty Crown did have really good character design and production values, but yeah... I was enjoying the trainwreck that was happening in the 2nd half more than anything. As an actual story, it was terrible, but the entertainment value of seeing all kinds of random plot twists and cliffhangers and all the raging online made it great to me.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I don't think we really need to debate the merits of the old shows here. I'm just saying that when they were done I looked into the opinions about them and delved a bit into the spoilers to see if the details supported the opinions I read that I thought made sense, and decided they weren't for me personally.

personally I think Accel World has more potential than either of them but feel like I'd rather marathon it, but if opinions of it are really bad at the end, I won't bother.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bwcbwc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo:

Let's see, the first word that comes to mind for the spring 2012 season is quantity. It seems like there were about 30% more shows produced this spring than last year or the year before. Or at least more shows made it to legitimate streaming outlets here in NA. It seems like we had the usual ratio of crap to excellence, but this means we had 2 or 3 really good series to watch, instead of just one. In any case, I'm hoping this trend indicates general improvement in the Japanese economy so that we get a similar volume of new shows for at least the spring and fall seasons in the coming years.

As far as the specific shows go, I pretty much agree with your top 3 of Kids on the Slope, Space Brothers and Polar Bear Cafe, for much the same reasons.

I think you need to give a bit more credit to Space Pirates for the development Kato Marika as a character. In this age of moe-blobs she stands out as a girl growing into a professional woman without falling into the traditional exaggerated stereotype of the workaholic class-rep who's perfect at everything (Medaka, for example) or falling for the first boy she sees.

For Dusk Maiden, I was more comfortable with the mix of horror and rom-com than you were. In some ways the character interplay was similar to Kids on the Slope, but where KotS was subtle and understated, Dusk Maiden was the goth/emo harem version. Dusk Maiden was also brought down by the fact that the last episode was completely predictable as what happens when you solve a ghost's problem. And then they did the cop-out happy ending after the credits.

I think the other main series where I give a higher rating than you is about Mysterious Girlfriend X. I got over the spit swapping more easily than you did, although I was also struck by the reluctance to kiss or even hug under the circumstances. Urabe is another strong female character. She strikes me as wise beyond her years, apart from her magic spit powers. So one reason she dominates their relationship is she (mostly) knows what she want where Tsubaki is mostly confused.

I continue to watch Kuroko's basketball, but I agree it's just standard sports drivel.

For shows I enjoyed less than you:
I gave up on Tsuritama after about 6 episodes. The story was getting too scattered for me, and I got tired of the art style. This is a show I could come back to with vacancies in my summer viewing schedule.

I don't get into the pure action series so much, so I had abandoned Fate/Zero before the spring season had even started...just a matter of taste, and the feeling that nothing was happening during the set-up season. I got bored of fights that were only setting up character relations and didn't really have much consequence otherwise. If they'd merged the 2 seasons, I might have made it through.

I probably would have given more credit to the Lupin 3 series, but I never did find a legitimate stream source for it, so I missed a lot of episodes. Stylistically, it reminded me of some of the adult animation of the 70's and 80's like Heavy Metal, so I enjoyed what I could find.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Can't wait until the Summer edition of The Stream!
I look forward to Moyashimon Returns, Natsuyuki Rendezvous, Kokoro Connect, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita, and Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi.

My favorites of Spring were: Kids on the Slope, Fate/Zero, (I ended up watching the entire series last weekend and I'm really glad I saw it; too bad I can't afford the DVD) Tsuritama, Bodacious Space Pirates, and Mysterious Girlfriend X.

I'll continue/finished with Hunter x Hunter, Space Brothers, Kuroko's Basketball, Polar Bear Cafe, Folktales from Japan, Eureka Seven Ao, and Lupin III - A Woman Called Fujiko Mine.

Everything else, I dropped earlier on in the season. But, personally, I was really disappointed at Sankarea. After awhile I was enjoying Furuya and Sanka's relationship as they grew closer together. But I think this quote summarizes the problem I had with the show as a whole:
Bamboo wrote:
[..]The various emotions that the series tries to take viewers to feel a little forced, like they're more the product of a board meeting rather than an inspired story unfolding naturally. When tragedy strikes, it feels like someone's going through a checklist of Things Stories Need. As mentioned before, this feels even more flighty when tragedy is immediately rinsed away by cutesy. [...] I think maybe if the series was more consistent near the end, I would've liked it better. Instead, it couldn't quite decide on the tone it wanted to take.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm Reply with quote
bwcbwc wrote:

I probably would have given more credit to the Lupin 3 series, but I never did find a legitimate stream source for it, so I missed a lot of episodes.

Funimation is streaming it in its site.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:50 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
The problem with Sankarea is that its also made to sell the manga. Leaving it open and making people want to know more about what happens is by design, not a mistake. Obviously if you rate it as just the anime by itself... thats a flaw. But you have to look at these things multi media projects, where the anime is only one part of the bigger project.

Sequels/Prequels/Spin-offs don't need to bend over backwards to explain everything that was intended to be seen before watching the show (it would be stupid to say that its a flaw of The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya that you need to see the TV series first, for example). But its absurd to say that lack of closure is not a problem because you can go read the original manga/novel/whatever. "Go read the manga" is never an acceptable defense of a direct adaptation (i.e. not a spinoff, prequel, etc.).

And no, this is not a "multi-media project". My-Hime was a multi-media project. The different versions were planned and released at the same time (though they were all entirely separate stories) and the multi-prong approach was part of the original conception of the show. Sankarea, like most shows, is a standard straight adaptation of a manga that was originally intended to stand on its own. That is not a "multi-media project" by any remotely meaningful definition of the term. By your definition, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter were a multi-media projects.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Dazzling Dunks and Kuroko's Basketball Bloopers has started to grind on me. It's like, basketball is not that complicated, in one episode a Seiren player had the nerve to ask while up one point about why the team on defense was playing so hard in the last few seconds, in a one possession game. I'm curious if the person who made this series has ever even seen an actual basketball game.

And what self respecting coach would allow their player to constantly take cross-court shots?

No one that's who.

[/i]
INS Division 6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
I have never wanted two characters in an anime to kiss more than in Mysterious Girlfriend X. If they kissed at the end in front of his mothers grave instead of linking arms and finger sucking, the end would have been so much better. And it would have shown that they were making real progress in their relationship.
chao8971

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to see that there are some people who enjoyed the ending of Lupin the 3rd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Everyone keeps telling me that the ending was horrible, but I thought it was a good conclusion for the show.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
chao8971 wrote:
I'm glad to see that there are some people who enjoyed the ending of Lupin the 3rd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine. Everyone keeps telling me that the ending was horrible, but I thought it was a good conclusion for the show.

It sure sets up the character of Fujiko for the rest of the Lupin series. All of them really are terrible people.
rheiders

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, Hisoka definitely wants to see Gon improve his fighting skills, but it's not because of his adherence to any sort of moral code...After all, he keeps referring to Gon and Killua as "unripe fruit" that he wants to pluck...x.x

Glad you're still enjoying it, though! I can't wait for the Heaven's Arena arc to end- Yorknew is my favorite, and I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it!

I finished Kids on the Slope and tsuritama and loved them both, and I'll be continuing with Space Brothers and HxH into the new season. I've been loving Polar Bear Cafe as well, but I got busy and ended up really behind on it, so I need to catch up. It looks like I'll have to check out Fate/Zero at some point; it sounds pretty awesome. Overall, spring was a really good season for me, which shows since I usually only have one or two shows to follow after the first couple weeks.

Good luck with the new season. There're a lot less shows, so hopefully it's easier on you! I admire you for keeping up with the flood last season!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5