• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Paper: DiCaprio Considers SMAP for Ninja Scroll Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irishninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Joichiro Nishi wrote:
Unfortunately, Jackie isn't the exception. He always have a western sidekick because Hollywood thinks that Jackie can't sell a movie in America by himself. I'll never forgive Hollywood for ruining Jackie Chan and Jet Li's first film together with an annoying white lead in The Forbidden Kingdom.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the movie was ruined because of the pasty white kid.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Actually, Ninja Scroll's one of the few flicks where it don't matter to me if the cast is Japanese, since the setting and culture only play secondary roles to the action. Akira's a different story, though.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:26 pm Reply with quote
David.Seth wrote:
what the... that's... i can't believe... that was horrible! Never seen Breakfast at Tiffanys, and I don't plan on it.

If you're saying you don't plan to now solely because of that character that's a real shame. It's like saying Don't Watch Lady and the Tramp because of the Siamese Cats, or Disney's Fantasia for the racially insensitive parts it originally had. It was just a part of the culture back in the day (sentiments in general American culture because of WW2, the Mao era, Korean War, etc), something you should keep in mind anyway when watching old films.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a great film, and the racial insensitivity that was Holly Wood then (and sadly, still is a bit) shouldn't stop you from seeing what's considered one of the top critically acclaimed films from back in the day. It's one of Audrey Hepburn's best performances, not to mention one of the stories Truman Capote is best known for. Looking back now the Director and producer have admitted it was a horrible mistake, and wish they could still fix it.

Besides, it's no where near as bad as The Good Earth movie adaption from the 1930s. And you can't really hold it against them when the people behind the movie WANTED an all Asian cast, but was denied it by the investors due to politics.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 pm Reply with quote
An interesting concept. Although possibly more well received than the supposed news of Keanu Reeves and the Cowboy Bebop movie, wouldn't you think?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:58 pm Reply with quote
LOL, isn't this like a pop rock group? This is as comforting as like... a G.I. Joe movie where the main roles are played by like the Johnas Brothers.
MarzGurl

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 pm Reply with quote
This actually sounds MILDLY promising. Moreso than the Akira stuff, anyway. At least he actually wants Japanese people (whether they're pop stars or not, granted maybe I'm biased because I kind of like SMAP). All I care is whether or not it's a true adaptation of the original source material. If it is, I'm all over it. Still skeptical, because hey, this is Hollywood, but otherwise, what can we do?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
miji

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:
In all seriousness though, did anyone actually expect the movie about Ninjas to have a lot of Caucasian people in it (I suppose that anything is possible in Hollywood but that would have been a stretch even by their standards)?
Maybe not Caucasians, but possible other Asians. There were a lot of people upset that Chinese women took the leads in Memoirs of a Geisha. Hollywood generally doesn't care about specifics, if you're Korean, you'll work just fine for a Japanese or Chinese character. They do the same thing with Hispanic roles as well.
Lampton

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:57 pm Reply with quote
That was an interesting article. I think what made it more interesting to me wasn't necessarily the fact he is hoping to cast Japanese actors for this movie (well yeah, that' still very exciting), but mostly because SMAP members are considered to take some leads.

I saw someone mention them as idols, and I can understand some people being uncertain about SMAP's acting skills if they've only known them as "just idols".

While not a fan of SMAP myself (I don't know any of their songs...), I do find respect in some of the members who's been extending their career in acting. I read about Kimura but I have more hope for Katori Shingo. He has wider range of acting, being in historical dramas regarding the Shinsen Gumi and in comedic drama such as "The Invisible Man", and did great jobs in all of them. I think recently I've seen him in a commercial for a Dole's banana as "The Dole Man"...

I wonder if DiCaprio will have the similar vision for Akira? I did hear a rumor of some sort about NeoTokyo being Neo-NotTokyoButSomeOtherWesternCity.

Either way I do hope he'll do a good job. I really would love to see both films. I'm excited.
David.Seth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:15 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
David.Seth wrote:
what the... that's... i can't believe... that was horrible! Never seen Breakfast at Tiffanys, and I don't plan on it.

If you're saying you don't plan to now solely because of that character that's a real shame. It's like saying Don't Watch Lady and the Tramp because of the Siamese Cats, or Disney's Fantasia for the racially insensitive parts it originally had. It was just a part of the culture back in the day (sentiments in general American culture because of WW2, the Mao era, Korean War, etc), something you should keep in mind anyway when watching old films.

Breakfast at Tiffany's is a great film, and the racial insensitivity that was Holly Wood then (and sadly, still is a bit) shouldn't stop you from seeing what's considered one of the top critically acclaimed films from back in the day. It's one of Audrey Hepburn's best performances, not to mention one of the stories Truman Capote is best known for. Looking back now the Director and producer have admitted it was a horrible mistake, and wish they could still fix it.

Besides, it's no where near as bad as The Good Earth movie adaption from the 1930s. And you can't really hold it against them when the people behind the movie WANTED an all Asian cast, but was denied it by the investors due to politics.

ah, yeah i worded that badly. I more or less meant "I've never seen breakfast at Tiffany's, and i never really planned on it anyway." I've actually tried watching it before, but just didn't dig it. There are plenty of movies from the 50's 60's and 70's that I do love, that is just not one of them Very Happy Besides, I like Capote's books better. And while that scene is offensive, I'm to much of a movie snob to let scenes like that prevent me from watching a film. I mentioned Amos and Andy earlier as being offensive. It is. But its also really funny. You just have to keep in mind what times were like when it was made.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote
SMAP's fine, but not exactly built for the part. They need some MMA guys to make it credible, or it'll have as much impact as Joon Park playing Yamcha.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
LOL, isn't this like a pop rock group? This is as comforting as like... a G.I. Joe movie where the main roles are played by like the Johnas Brothers.

Except that these guys can act. They've been in many TV dramas and movies for over 10 years and I've seen several of TV dramas that they've been in they can defianately act.

One interesting thing to note Shingo Katori who's one of Smap members will be staring in the last Zatochi film to be ever made.

http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-4533
rti9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 am Reply with quote
ZODDGUTS wrote:
Except that these guys can act. They've been in many TV dramas and movies for over 10 years and I've seen several of TV dramas that they've been in they can defianately act.

Soap opera actors are very much alike all over the world. Most stink. Katori did a "ninja" movie not too long ago. This is the trailer.

Pardon Justin Sevakis, but I'm borrowing his comment about the Ninja Hattori-kun movie available on his myanime list.
jsevakis wrote:
KILL ME. KILL ME NOW.
Zoe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:28 am Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Idol groups work differently in Japan than in America. Many singers work as actors and vice versa.

The fact that it's SMAP isn't that much of a shocker considering they're probably the group that interacts with foreign celebrities the most (Bistro SMAP).
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:11 pm Reply with quote
isn't SMAP the group that did that live-action Gatchaman commercail awhile back? If I remember correctly that actually looked pretty amazing.
yojimboray

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:16 pm Reply with quote
The only casting I'm really interested in is Jubei. That guy's gotta be a stud- he can't be some flavor-of-the-month pretty boy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4