• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Euro Trip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
3 questions regarding the collection:

1. Is that Cities of Gold the boxset, if so, thats nice?

2. Why are the FLCL dvds blue, purple; they should be red, yellow and white?

3. How are those shelves arranged? It looks bottom to top, right to left.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
I'm glad I dropped Fractale way earlier than episode 11. I just couldn't get into the show and I was honestly scratching my head with what it was trying to present to me.
evangel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
You know, while I was watching the first episode of Fractale, for a second I thought it was going to end up with a similar atmosphere to "Now and Then, Here and There".

You can imagine how disappointed I was when that didn't happen.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
From the attempts at criticism of Fractale, I'm beginning to think I'd better watch it Razz

Good luck with your thing, Erin.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
Fractale got the Shelf Worthy grade? What...? I'm honestly shocked, especially considering it's one of the most hated anime of all-time.

I was expecting a Perishable rating, like pretty much everyone else here.

Now I don't find Fractale bad (Currently gets a 6/10 from me, a decent show-but not good either), but it's easy to see for others.

One of the main issues the show has (Going by the first 8 episodes I've seen) is it has an interesting premise, great concepts, but doesn't really use them.

Seriously, the show much of the time feels like a slice-of-life anime, and we're left with so many questions, and don't see events happening. Balloons falling? When did we see that happen as a sign the Fractale system was failing?

Hell, many characters we don't learn all that much about. All I know about Clain from episodes 1-8 is he loves stuff from before the Fractale system came to be, and is considered a pervert by everyone else in the show for the typical cliched misunderstandings.

If only this series had better planning, and maybe a larger episode count (Yes I know it's noitaminA, so it would get like 22 max), then we might have had a masterpiece, or an excellent series on our hands.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
ShanaFan852 wrote:
Fractale got the Shelf Worthy grade? What...? I'm honestly shocked, especially considering it's one of the most hated anime of all-time.

I was expecting a Perishable rating, like pretty much everyone else here.

You never heard of Erin and Noah's previous thoughts about the show on a past episode of ANNCast, have you?
gsilver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:45 am Reply with quote
When Fractale aired, I saw enough potential in the first episode to make a discussion thread on my main forum. If the show stuck to its sci-fi guns, it could have turned out decently, but it really was a trainwreck. I tried careful analysis for a while, and gave up. Despite my better judgement, I still didn't drop it. Once it ended, I wrote my series review. Here it is in its entirety:

Neutral
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Once it ended, I wrote my series review. Here it is in its entirety:

Neutral

Give this person a Pulitzer, pronto.
Ties

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
ahh young anime fans in love, Mathieu It must be nice to have cool girl friend like that.

I'm 31 and she's not that far behind me so we're not that young anymore Anime hyper
It is awesome to have a cool girlfriend like that though Smile
Ties

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Melanchthon wrote:
Mathieu's Collection: Animaniacs! Hell yeah! And a cool cat! You, sir, are awesome. I like the your shelves too. I need to buy some more, but haven't found anything that I fancy yet. I managed to squeeze in my last purchase, but I am entirely out of room.

Animaniacs was an important part of my childhood. I couldn't resist getting it. I'm so glad that they put the Nations of the World song on there. Yes my cat is awesome, she's been with me for over 10 years now and I love her.
The shelves are simple shelves from Ikea. The one downside is that it can get complicated with large boxsets as you can see from the pictures. Also absolutely no space for special sizes like NISAmerica releases.
Ties

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Lovely collection though with the manga, Clannad stuff, Cowboy Bebop collection, and the Ah My Goddess poster.

Thank you and since those pictures were taken I've added Clannad After-Story Blu-Ray because it's just so good I had to get it on Blu-Ray even though I already had the DVD sets.
Ties

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
3 questions regarding the collection:

1. Is that Cities of Gold the boxset, if so, thats nice?

2. Why are the FLCL dvds blue, purple; they should be red, yellow and white?

3. How are those shelves arranged? It looks bottom to top, right to left.

1. Yes that is the Mysterious Cities of Gold. A company called Imavision released it here but only the French dub is on that version (it's the version we grew up with so it's mostly for the nostalgia).

2. The original Synch-Point release had reversible covers and those were of different colors. I prefer the pictures of the reverse side in some cases which explains the difference in spine color.

3. The set of 4 shelves with the mangas in the middle is right to left, top to bottom. The other shelf with notably the Blu-Rays and Stargate is more mixed because 1) we decided to put the Blu-Rays there and not mix them in with the DVDs; 2) Anime DVDs on that shelf are my girlfriend's so we didn't want to mix them in with my shelves; 3) Live-action stuff like Stargate and LOTR went on that shelf.
sharpied

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:24 am Reply with quote
Ties, you might want to replace that cord by the bookshelf (the one that looks perfectly safe with the tin foil on it). I can appreciate you wanting to save money, but you do have a significant investment in your DVD collection. You don't want it to catch fire due to some jainky contraption.
Ties

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:56 am Reply with quote
sharpied wrote:
Ties, you might want to replace that cord by the bookshelf (the one that looks perfectly safe with the tin foil on it). I can appreciate you wanting to save money, but you do have a significant investment in your DVD collection. You don't want it to catch fire due to some jainky contraption.

The other cat in the apartment likes to gnaw electric cords sometimes. Tried with plastic covers but he still likes the smell I guess. He hates tin foil though so that's why we have the bits of cord he likes to gnaw covered with that. It might not look it from that angle but it's not touching the electric outlet itself.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
As I see it Fractale tried to be the cerebral sci-fi, Ghibli and moe type of anime all at once. It succeeded to be all of those a bit. Which means it wasn't good at any of them.

I'd rather see more series try to be cerebral sci-fi and Ghibli and fail than fewer series that try...!

dtm42 wrote:
Anyway, I now live in a world where Fractale is Shelf-Worthy. I don't know what to think anymore.

I am surprised and pleased that I have the power to change the world.

Snomaster1 wrote:
I wonder something about "Fractale." I wonder if they used any Irish accent in this one? It would be pretty interesting if they did.

They didn't, but I would like to see a dub made by actual Irish people...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6