• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Ponyo Off a Cliff

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagato316

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:

By the way guys, Ponyo did get prime time network advertisement time. I saw ads on both CBS and NBC this week from 5-11.

But not ABC?! The Disney broadcast network not plugging the Disney distributed Miyazaki film? Odd (albeit not really, considering what ABC's target demographic has devolved into)...

BTW, to Zac, Justin and Bamboo...good observation about how all this weekend's opening movies are after distinct demographics (e.g. District 9 = sci-fi, The Goods = comedy, Time Traveler's Wife = romance) and how that might impact Ponyo. Ponyo would have easily "won" the younger kid/family demo (among new releases anyway) if it weren't for that Demi Lovato(?) vehicle--darn riding on Camp Rock's coattails!! Evil or Very Mad

You guys sound great and really click together on the podcast. Looking forward to future installments.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

By the way guys, Ponyo did get prime time network advertisement time. I saw ads on both CBS and NBC this week from 5-11.

But not ABC?! The Disney broadcast network not plugging the Disney distributed Miyazaki film? Odd (albeit not really, considering what ABC's target demographic has devolved into)...

Actually, the Disney Channel has been airing ads all week for Ponyo. Maybe even last week too. Not sure about ABC though.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I think FMA:Brotherhood would probably be better appreciated if it wasn't for the first series. It may also have come out too soon after the original. It's definately for a slightly different market, since the remake is more comedy and the original was more drama.

I've seen the ads for Ponyo but I feel no desire to see it right away. I'll probably see it eventually.

I'm glad you've finally got into podcasting. And it's not three hours long like another anime podcast with two guys and a girl.

Last edited by writerpatrick on Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
nagato316

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:

Actually, the Disney Channel has been airing ads all week for Ponyo. Maybe even last week too. Not sure about ABC though.

I've totally heard that Disney Channel (the cable/satellite network) has been pushing Ponyo a lot...that's been well documented throughout many of these threads. But yeah I was asking about the tow-headed stepchild of the Disney multimedia family that is ABC. Wouldn't this be one of those perfect "corporate synergy" opportunities? *shrug*
Lina500

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Am I seriously the only person that claims Howl's Moving Castle as their favorite movie? I didn't think it was that bad; I thought the movie was extremely sweet and well-done, and was easily sat through in one go. XP

I know! Seriously, whats the problem with howl's moving castle? I thought it was really good, and enjoyed it a decent amount. Even my friend who absolutely hates Anime liked it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote
At least Ponyo got to #9 in the Friday estimates. From what I understand, it was tracking at #11.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it also beat Bandslam, even with the New Moon trailer attached, so be grateful for small mercies.

nagato316 wrote:
But yeah I was asking about the tow-headed stepchild of the Disney multimedia family that is ABC. Wouldn't this be one of those perfect "corporate synergy" opportunities? *shrug*

Every Ponyo spot aired on the ABC network would take away valuable advertising time for things that are actually going to make a profit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
liko-2000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Great inaugural post guys.

I enjoy the Ghibli films-some more than others-and because I'm a completist I'm sure I'll end up buying Ponyo when it goes to DVD. I'm going to see it in the theaters tomorrow with a friend. Knowing what I'm going to be in for will keep my expectations in check, but one of the main reasons I'm going to see it is because anime almost never comes to Missouri.

Paprika came here and was playing at only one theater in Kansas City. I drove an hour and back to pick up a couple of friends who also wanted to see the film. This was the only day we could all go. And guess what? The theater pulled the screening one day early for Harry Potter. I understand that you have to follow the money, but FOUR screens of HP? Really?! You couldn't save one for Paprika?! I'm looking at you Cinemark Plaza! Evil or Very Mad
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Honest to god, I stopped listening after 4 minutes and 30 seconds. Why the hell would I watch something about a bunch of guys who have no understanding of the subject actually talk about it. None of them have read the manga, and none of them have watched very far. I mean one person didn't even know how many episodes where out. That's the kind of thing I expect out of Fox News.

The most knowledgable guy on the subject has never read the manga, but at least has heard that the people who have where displeased.

Of course he hasn't actually read fan reaction of the damn thing, or he would have known that people who have read the manga, who doesn't like Brotherhood are generally in the minority. In fact for the people who watched more than two episodes the series is generally well received. Once again something out of Fox News, where anything that is out of their narrative is ignored.

Also for a lot of people who say they love the first FMA anime, why the hell don't they check out the manga to compare?

I mean I watched the first FMA anime to compare it to the anime. It was a decent series, but is overrated. The battles in particular where just bad, they where typical battles with no narrative what so ever. Dante's plan was confusing, they mention that Homunculi don't have souls than show that they do without ever mentioning it. The heroes where horribly used, if I remember right the only time Armstrong actually did anything was the Scar fight. Mustang's men where nothing more than comic relief, Mustang falls off the face of the Earth after Hughes dies only to reappear for the final few episodes. Hohenheim appears and then goes just as quickly and is only used to explain things. Rose is horribly used and adds nothing but wangst.

So unless someone tells me that the podcast has improved I won't be watching. Simply put, it tries to cover too broad of a subject without actually knowing everything about that subject.

Take for example Bill Simmons' BS Report. Out of the three major sports he watches, Bill talks primarly about the AL East when it comes to Baseball because that's what he watches only, he isn't knowledgable about the other divisions so he mostly never talks about them. For Basketball he talks a little more in-depth but he doesn't really go all out because while he watches all the teams he doesn't know them as well as the Celtics. For Football he goes all out, he talks about every game, he talks about a huge variety of teams, and he gives out who he thinks is going to win every game simply because he watches so much Football.

I suggest you keep to what you know because honestly your talk about FMA was just horrible, I mean I can stand a lot of crap, but I couldn't listen to that.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
stuff

So let me get this straight - we should only discuss subjects we're experts on and know everything about, and should only have opinions based on consuming and analyzing every piece of available media..

...and you're trashing the entire show because you didn't like the first 4 minutes and then didn't listen to the remaining 30?

Photobucket
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:01 pm Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
But the old /new FMA is a different situation. The first made up story that had nothing to do with the original, to no good end (IMO). Why do that when the original had it all there to begin with? That's just a writer thinking he's better than the source material, not someone molding the old material into something that works on screen.

The writer wasn't thinking he was better than the manga author. Hiromu Arakawa insisted that the first series go in a different direction, as she had only a few volumes out at the time, and she consulted with the Bones crew throughout the series.

Now, say what you want, good or bad, about the first series, but it's not as though the Bones staff just decided to do their own thing because they felt like the original story wasn't good enough.

I've read a lot about how the first series is merely professional fanfiction, but let's face it, so is a lot of good anime. The Giant Robo OVA, for one. You think Mitsuteru Yokoyama wrote the story for that one? You think Masamune Shirow had a role in Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? You can consider any non-Tomino-directed Gundam work fanfiction to a degree, too.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the manga and first series at about equal levels. The second series fastforwarded through my favorite arc in the manga (Dublith/Greed) and has yet to reach most of my other favorites (Ishbal flashback, Hohenheim's story), so I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as either the manga or first series right now.

Charred Knight wrote:
Dante's plan was confusing, they mention that Homunculi don't have souls than show that they do without ever mentioning it.

How was Dante's plan confusing? Also, it's assumed homunculi don't have souls of their own, but some of them do retain some memory of the person that was supposed to be ressurected, probably due to the person who made them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
stuff

So let me get this straight - we should only discuss subjects we're experts on and know everything about, and should only have opinions based on consuming and analyzing every piece of available media..

...and you're trashing the entire show because you didn't like the first 4 minutes and then didn't listen to the remaining 30?

Photobucket

Why would I listen to people who don't know what they are talking about?

I just checked out the stuff on Miyazaki, and let me tell you the difference is huge because you actually are talking about stuff you know about. It was much more interesting, and I did enjoy it because the host where actually discussing things instead of trying to figure out things to say, or just outright stating opinion as fact.

Though I do disagree with the claim that the eco message was shoved into Princess Mononoke, simply because in that film nature is as much to fault as mankind. Instead of protraying nature as the victim of mankind's methods like say The Lorax, nature is actively trying to kill mankind.

penguintruth wrote:

Charred Knight wrote:
Dante's plan was confusing, they mention that Homunculi don't have souls than show that they do without ever mentioning it.

How was Dante's plan confusing? Also, it's assumed homunculi don't have souls of their own, but some of them do retain some memory of the person that was supposed to be ressurected, probably due to the person who made them.

Wrath flat out shows that Homunculi have souls, also how the hell would Homunculi have residual memories unless something like a soul was involved. I mean it's not like they have the same brain as their previous life.

As for Dante's plan, she uses Philosopher's stones so that someone will make a Philosopher's stone, when no information is given on the difference. I mean why can't she use the stones used by Mustang, and trhe rest of the State Alchemist in Ishval?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Wrath flat out shows that Homunculi have souls, also how the hell would Homunculi have residual memories unless something like a soul was involved. I mean it's not like they have the same brain as their previous life.

As for Dante's plan, she uses Philosopher's stones so that someone will make a Philosopher's stone, when no information is given on the difference. I mean why can't she use the stones used by Mustang, and trhe rest of the State Alchemist in Ishval?

What does Wrath prove? spoiler[He only has memories of being in the gate, when he was already a homunuculi I think it's safe to say, since he's made partially of the gate kids, he's a special case to begin with. ]

Perhaps you can make a case for spoiler[Sloth], but her memories are just spoiler[scraps of the brothers' own memories of their mother that lingered. ]

It's only assumed that homunculi have no "proper" souls, but in the cases of spoiler[Lust and Sloth], the story takes the "what is a soul?" approach.

As for Dante and the stones, it's more likely a case of spending money to make money. To get a huge stone that would last indefinitely, or at least for a long time, she made use of the smaller stones in manipulating the military.

It's been a little while since I saw the first series. There may not be an answer there, or I may be forgetting some details.

Edit: After doing a little research, there's a bit more I can say about it, but I won't get into it here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
nagato316 wrote:
Dargonxtc wrote:

Lemme splain,

During the podcast they said they hadn't seen and/or weren't sure if the film was getting prime time network advertisement. Ostensibly because those cost a lot of money. I was just letting them know that I did see ads on networks during prime times. Not that I knew when every single ad has appeared. I am sure ABC had ads as well, but I didn't see any therefore I didn't offer up information I couldn't confirm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AgentYlime

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:03 am Reply with quote
At first I wasn't going to listen to the whole podcast since it was over 20 minutes, but you guys really kept things interesting! It was nice to hear different opinions regarding several interesting subjects, and the occassional joke was nice <3 I have to agree on the whole Ponyo ending thing. I didn't like it either... But I actually quite enjoyed it nonetheless. Then again I kind of still fit the "kid" demographic (15 yrs).. It was worth noting that there were a lot of older people in the theater I went to. Probably all miyazaki fans, but still. I could count the youngins on my hands xD Anyways, love this whole episode majob; looking forward to more Very Happy
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
Methinks CharredKnight is taking this way to seriously.

I've read the manga, and thought it felt rushed compared to the first anime, at least until about the time the characters from Xing showed up. Brotherhood felt even more rushed, until the most recent episodes (at about the same point of the plot). The first series is better for dealing with the more serious issues brought up by the show, while Brotherhood is more of a fun romp that gets rather bloody every once in a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6