• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragonaut: The Resonance DVD part 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:13 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought this "You're not alone, I'm with you" thingy would be quite interested and enjoyable. About 2 episodes later(that's within the first 10 episodes), I began realizing how big their boobies were. Then I thought "Hell, I wanted some cute girl, not some boob mutant". The episodes got worse and worse, and at some point they began focusing on boobies. That's practically when I gave up on this crap. Must have been a pain in the ass to watch this series for the review.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first couple episodes, and just couldn't stand it. The CG dragons were hideous, the character designs were absurd, the main character was an annoying jerk, his "best friend" was a whiny idiot, and the chick was indecisive. None of the other characters had enough characterization yet for me to judge them. Also, the premise and plot it tried to set up were just horribly done.
Otaking09

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
GONZO was one of my favorite studios; it's been replaced with Production I.G., Manglobe, and BONES, who still continue to deliver quality storytelling and animation rather than throwing out a lot of crap like this

I'm with you on BONES. Practically every anime they make is golden. Darker than BLACK didn't do much for me... But Eureka Seven is #3 in my Top 10!

Manglobe hardly makes any! To each his own I guess...

Dragonaut was an adaption, so they didn't "really" create the story, if you blaming them for that...

Quote:
As someone already noted, I enjoyed Baccano! - hell, I loved it. But it also had a strong story, strong characters, and was highly original. Some of us enjoy originality

Baccano's first 4 episodes were not as good as I thought. No offense. Sure I'll finish it someday, but it definately WON'T become one of my favorites. The characters weren't really calling out to me... But the story did seem a little alluring.
Trying to find new original shows is VERY hard... I've found it easier to just watch old shows like Turn A Gundam.

The only new anime I've seen recently that I LOVED for originality was Bakemonogatari.
Clannad and After Story were some of the most disappointing titles I've ever watched...

Quote:
I'm the exact opposite. A lousy ending will ruin a series for me, especially if it's been good up to that point.

I used to be like that too. But then I saw slow series like Blue Gender and Gasaraki and thought: I should stop wondering if the ending will awesome. It's fun right here and now, so why rush?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:03 pm Reply with quote
The only good thing to come from Dragonaut was all the doujinshi. The already large breasts gives a means for the artists to have a lot of fun. There's also a decent looking figure of Garnet that I wish to purchase.

Big breasts are one of the few things that GONZO excels at. Even present in Last Exile for Delphine, at the forefront in Dragonaut and Witchblade, here and there in Shrangi-La. They should really just turn in to a high production value hentai studio. We'd all thank them for it.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I was really turned off by this series. And it wasn't because of the fanservice. I mean just means 'Uno Makoto' got another job designing boobies with rosey cheeks. He has 'Witchblade' to thank for that even though he's been on board 'Gonzo's staff for years. It's another 'Gonzo' flick that lacks in overall execution. Not to mention the extensive use of CGI. I think 'Gonzo' is responsible for my being turned off of CGI being used in 2D animation. They do great 2D work at times but their use of CGI at times looks like .... [dare I say it?]

I just could not get into this one. I try just about any drek laden show. I was interested with the concept about this guy and his dragon girl. But after a few eps it just did not hold my attention. Maybe I'll give it another shot somewhere down the line.

*On a side note I do somewhat enjoy 'Makoto-san' designs and I did enjoy/buy 'Witchblade'.
moohoo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Im sorry but Overall (dub) : C that s bull the dub was by far a b. i mean im not sure who rates all of the anime. i no everybody has there own views on what thay like and ill say the storys a lil off at first. but by no means bad but this same site gave Genshiken 2
dub a b+. wich tells me 2 things that people who review on here are just going on what thay like point this review is not very good. after all if Genshiken 2 can get a b+ lol then any anime can get an a or b becuse that shows dub was very boring and the acting was a c- by far. just saying Evil or Very Mad
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Dragonaut was an adaption, so they didn't "really" create the story, if you blaming them for that..

No, it isn't. It's an original project. There's no manga or novel that this was based on. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but I've never seen it listed anywhere, not on this site or in the credits of the series.

Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
There's probably a reason as to why fansub groups did not bother translating episode 26 of the series and this review only further proves that point.

There's a 26th episode?? The story ends at episode 25, so I'm guessing that's a DVD extra. Which are usually reserved for fan service or parody episodes. Which kind of seems redundant with Dragonaut.
dawgstar

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:30 pm Reply with quote
On the ANNCast a little while ago, Justin talked about some show or other that was a good 'background' show. Something you can leave on while doing other stuff and the dub certainly qualifies for me. Pretty sure FUNi's dub crew can get me to try anything, though, so I'm biased.

It did have one mark in its favor, though. Minor spoiler: spoiler[Our lead couple actually kiss 1-2 episodes in. How often do we get that? ]
Key

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:37 pm Reply with quote
moohoo wrote:
Im sorry but Overall (dub) : C that s bull the dub was by far a b. i mean im not sure who rates all of the anime. i no everybody has there own views on what thay like and ill say the storys a lil off at first. but by no means bad but this same site gave Genshiken 2
dub a b+. wich tells me 2 things that people who review on here are just going on what thay like point this review is not very good. after all if Genshiken 2 can get a b+ lol then any anime can get an a or b becuse that shows dub was very boring and the acting was a c- by far. just saying Evil or Very Mad

moohoo, if your grammar is bad because English isn't your native language then let us know that and we can give you some leeway. Otherwise you need to at least try to improve it - and you have already been told this, I know.

As to the issue you raise, since you're relatively new to the site you may not be aware that the Sub/Dub grades are Overall grades for that version, not grades specifically for the quality of the sub/dub. This approach of ours does regularly cause confusion, but that's the way we do it around here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:56 am Reply with quote
FUNimation should have stayed far away from this show... Then they try to market the show off as a To Love-Ru type of show. They should have just Licensed To Love-Ru and I bet it would have turn out better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:34 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
FUNimation should have stayed far away from this show... Then they try to market the show off as a To Love-Ru type of show. They should have just Licensed To Love-Ru and I bet it would have turn out better.

Or maybe this show is more popular with offline fans... you know, like the ones roaming around CR forums. If this show is within one's first 50 anime one probably could enjoy it... who knows.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:48 am Reply with quote
I watched the first two episodes on Funi's site yesterday and I liked it. It's what some would call "campy", I guess. It's the kind of show where I go, "I'm not wasting time" and that's all I ever ask for out of my entertainment. I'm still going to hold off on buying it until Funi puts some more (dub) episodes on the site so that I can grade it off more viewing because so many people dislike it (even my most trusted reviewer Theron). This definitely looks like something I'd consider a guilty pleasure when it's all said and done, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Mario1234567 wrote:

Or maybe this show is more popular with offline fans... you know, like the ones roaming around CR forums. If this show is within one's first 50 anime one probably could enjoy it... who knows.

I don't think it's up on crunchyroll, though (i'm assuming that's what you mean by CR?). My guess is, this was announced with a whole bunch of other GONZO deals, they probably bought a whole package. There were a few decent, fun shows in the lot (the okay Tower of Druaga comes to mind) which might sell pretty well for them.

That said, the more we talk about it, the more likely it is that their rentals will go through the roof as people decide to check it out to see if it's really "that bad" (forgetting that it's online to stream).
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Otaking09 wrote:
Overall, Gonzo is one of my favorite studios, for they created NHK and Saikano.
Gonzo didn't create either of those shows. They were both manga or novel adaptations. But I still like them for their creations like Vandread, Last Exile, Burst Angel, and Solty Rei.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
Otaking09 wrote:
Overall, Gonzo is one of my favorite studios, for they created NHK and Saikano.
Gonzo didn't create either of those shows. They were both manga or novel adaptations. But I still like them for their creations like Vandread, Last Exile, Burst Angel, and Solty Rei.

I like Vandread too, but the first season's awful CG does actually impact my overall feeling for the show, for the worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4