• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-19]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Sceleris wrote:

It seems that show is called Nougyou Musume (Agriculture Girls). Ketsu Inu (Butt Dog) is apparently about the dog that looks like a butt.

(This changes everything! The butt dog is going to save anime!)

Are you serious? This is a show whose name translates to "Butt Dog"? Has there been any English-language localization done for it? I might see it if I find it to be interesting, but in all seriousness, I don't think an anime about a dog that resembles a butt is going to become a hit here.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
That was a fairly poor attempt to avoid the point, Wooga. Whether or not he was unfair to Miyazaki (he wasn't), you still criticised him for something that was completely out of his control. The movie is inferior to the Manga, and that fault belongs with Miyazaki, not C.J.. Really, after such an abhorrent deus ex machina at the end, I wouldn't be surprised if C.J. had never bothered to read the Manga.

He wasn't unfair to Miyazaki or even the character of Nausicaa (as depicted in the movie at least) because hey, she wasn't as strong as you claim. She had it easy in her little valley, and she could afford to practice her tree-hugging skills as vile creatures, a toxic forest and a inhospitable desert all conspired to crush the rest of humanity. Miyazaki went all anti-technology and anti-humanity on us in the movie, but he gives the titular character and "heroine" - the same freaking eco-bitch - a TURBINE-PROPELLED AIRCRAFT. So technology is bad, and defending your home is bad, and trying to survive is bad, unless you are the supposed heroine, and then it is all okay.

C.J., with his rant had so many run on sentences he just sounded like a crazy person. he went on and on about food scenes, which I see in all kinds of anime. I kinda felt sorry for him.

Your post sounds like a political rant.

eco-bitch? please. I find that very offensive.
Wooga

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if C.J. had never bothered to read the Manga.

Ok, fine, fair enough.

Quote:
She had it easy in her little valley,
-

Yup, the people learned to live with nature, which other people had forgotten
Quote:
the same freaking eco-bitch

Again, why the hate? She may not be the most well-written character but you seem to hate because she is strong...
Quote:
TURBINE-PROPELLED AIRCRAFT

A wind-powered glider. Compared to radiocative crimes against nature...

Edit: Answerman, your opening rant sounded suspicously like Achewood...Have you been reading it?

Edit 2: Re Leafy Sea Dragon: Yeah I dont get why he was ragging on food scenes. They;re just naturalistic studies of characters, I mean, everyones gotta eat. Unless theyre walking automatons who exist for the sole purpose of making fight scenes...

Last edited by Wooga on Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
I've always respected Yoko Kanno's interpretation of Cowboy Bebop and her work there was the main catalyst that rekindled my interest in anime. I have always loved jazz and I felt she did a great job here. I appreciated her music in Wolf's Rain and aspects of Ghost in the Shell. However, with all the adulation I see written about her when her name is referenced on ANN, Youtube, or "wherever" she is placed on such a high stratified pedestal of expectation I fear the thin air up there will someday asphyxiate her brain and nothing of any musical value will ever be seen or heard from her again. Sooooo....please, please, please: back off with the idol worship. She is human, not perfect!

I found JC's rant about Kanno refreshing, partially warranted.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:00 am Reply with quote
Wooga wrote:
Yup, the people learned to live with nature, which other people had forgotten

Wrong. Her valley had the unusual and beneficial wind (hence its very name), which largely kept the spores from settling down. Nothing she did, nor any of her beliefs, were any good at keeping the valley protected. And heck, when the spores did come they were set upon by flamethrowers. Hardly what I'd call "living with nature".

Wooga wrote:
Again, why the hate? She may not be the most well-written character but you seem to hate because she is strong...

But she isn't strong. If you had read my post properly you'd know why. If you had watched the movie without bias you would know why.

Wooga wrote:
A wind-powered glider. Compared to radiocative crimes against nature...

What do you think it ran on? It probably was some sort of fuel derived from crude oil, given how powerful it was compared to its size and weight. And we don't even have that technology now; she's using technology from an advanced civilisation, which seems hypocritical to me. As for those attempting to wipe out the insects and forest, well their priorities were in the right place, and they weren't hypocrites either.

tuxedocat wrote:
Your post sounds like a political rant.

eco-bitch? please. I find that very offensive.

First of all it wasn't at all political, but moral. Humanity as a species has the right to try to protect itself, and it has the right to try and expand and grow. When the message of the movie is "don't fight your tormentors but live on in poverty and at their complete suffrage", then that offends me.

Why do you find it offensive? I wasn't aiming it at you. I don't even know if you are male or female. Or do you too think that humanity should go extinct so that some oversized insects (which are biologically impossible by the way) and a toxic forest can live on? Because if you do, then really and truly, I don't want to have anything to do with a traitor like you.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
As far as Americans portrayed in Anime.

In the R.O.D. OVA they had the American president fall to his knees and wet himself several times during the course of the series. They then repeated that in the TV run. I thought it was good comedy and not offensive.

In my 35+ years of consuming American entertainment I've seen some pretty awful (racist/offensive) depictions of other nationalities. So I cut other countries slack in their depictions of Americans.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
First of all it wasn't at all political, but moral. Humanity as a species has the right to try to protect itself, and it has the right to try and expand and grow. When the message of the movie is "don't fight your tormentors but live on in poverty and at their complete sufferage", then that offends me.

So, once again (since you didn't seem to read it the first or second times), you're ignoring the part where the forest is cleaning out the earth and destroying it is what would cause humanity to go extinct?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:32 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Or do you too think that humanity should go extinct so that some oversized insects (which are biologically impossible by the way) and a toxic forest can live on? Because if you do, then really and truly, I don't want to have anything to do with a traitor like you.

I don't think you realize it, but good lord you are totally ridiculous and it's really sad to know that you won't understand why people don't take you seriously.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:47 am Reply with quote
I'll ignore Zac's flamebait and move on to . . .

Shale wrote:
So, once again (since you didn't seem to read it the first or second times), you're ignoring the part where the forest is cleaning out the earth and destroying it is what would cause humanity to go extinct?

And you are ignoring the fact that A: the idea of a race of semi-intelligent giant insects who can remove radioactivity from water and soil is beyond ridiculous; and B: that the purified water and soil is normally inaccessible to humans, so what's the point; and finally C: that for the insects and spores there is no point in trying to save the human race if humanity is killed by said insects and spores.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
dtm42 wrote:
Or do you too think that humanity should go extinct so that some oversized insects (which are biologically impossible by the way) and a toxic forest can live on? Because if you do, then really and truly, I don't want to have anything to do with a traitor like you.

I don't think you realize it, but good lord you are totally ridiculous and it's really sad to know that you won't understand why people don't take you seriously.

agreed. ....totally laughing now.
Shale

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

And you are ignoring the fact that A: the idea of a race of semi-intelligent giant insects who can remove radioactivity from water and soil is beyond ridiculous; and B: that the purified water and soil is normally inaccessible to humans, so what's the point; and finally C: that for the insects and spores there is no point in trying to save the human race if humanity is killed by said insects and spores.

A: So are giant robots, ki blasts that blow up entire solar systems, and Mine Fujiko's rack. And yet I enjoy shows that contain these things! Wacky, huh?

B:
lkmjr wrote:
The jungle is toxic because the soil beneath it is polluted, not because of the plants themselves, which are perfectly harmless in normal soil. And those plants are decomposing into sand, which will eventually replace the polluted soil and render the jungle harmless, saving the rest of the world in the process.

Oh noes! Non-instant gratification! The characters have to wait, maybe generations, for the purification to finish! Nah, screw that, just burn it all.

C: Miyazaki agrees with you! Hence why the people who keep the forest from spreading aren't vilified.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'll ignore Zac's flamebait and move on to . . .

Please explain to me how when I'm honest with you and tell you how I feel about what you're saying it's "flamebait". I'm not trolling you, I'm not disagreeing with you just to get some juvenile sense of satisfaction out of your response.

What I'd really like to know is if your reaction to Nausicaa was either A - based on some bizarre political belief that all nature conservation is some twisted liberal plot or B - you reject any science fiction or fantasy that isn't instantly practical according to whatever your level of education is.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:23 am Reply with quote
dtm42, it's just fantasy. You miss the broader strokes if you concentrate on every little detail. You're starting from a supposition and working backwards to "prove" some point about Miyazaki being anti-people, but like I've said, most of his works also contain a strong element of humanity in addition to nature conservation messages.

Yes, he's not always subtle, but he's not some raving luddite like you claim. He's said some weird things in interviews, but many old anime guys are like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:31 am Reply with quote
Shale wrote:
A: So are giant robots, ki blasts that blow up entire solar systems, and Mine Fujiko's rack. And yet I enjoy shows that contain these things! Wacky, huh?

And yet, apart from the guardian, there was none of that. So I don't see what your point is.

Shale wrote:
B:
lkmjr wrote:
The jungle is toxic because the soil beneath it is polluted, not because of the plants themselves, which are perfectly harmless in normal soil. And those plants are decomposing into sand, which will eventually replace the polluted soil and render the jungle harmless, saving the rest of the world in the process.

Oh noes! Non-instant gratification! The characters have to wait, maybe generations, for the purification to finish! Nah, screw that, just burn it all.

It isn't the instant gratification I'm craving, only a world in which humans can live without worrying whether or not they are going to be a meal for giant insects, or get sick because they breathe in toxic air. I'm craving a world in which the humans make up for their ancestors mistakes by ridding the land and water of the radioactivity with technology, not relying on toxic plants and vicious insects to do it for them.

Shale wrote:
C: Miyazaki agrees with you! Hence why the people who keep the forest from spreading aren't vilified.

I'm not so sure. I'd have to re-watch the movie to see if what you are saying is true or not. From what I remember, didn't the people of the valley rise up against them? Hmmm.

penguintruth wrote:
dtm42, it's just fantasy. You miss the broader strokes if you concentrate on every little detail.

So basically, you are arguing in favour of a gestalt-type viewpoint? Hogswash.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:34 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
So basically, you are arguing in favour of a gestalt-type viewpoint? Hogswash.

I'm arguing that not every little thing in fantasy is SERIOUS BUSINESS. You're over analyzing.

And that's coming from me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9