• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Naruto Week

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:28 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
Can we at least have fair warning next time that ANN is gonna change skins the next time they decide to have some contest or promo offer?

This would likely depend on the terms of the contract and how fast it is negotiated. Its also somewhat counterproductive to "warn" people about a marketing campaign.

A simple "We might be making changes to the site, be forewarned" comment isn't "revealing" enough?

Quote:
You're being silly. It's not that I'm not sensitive to your issue, nor that they are insensitive to it, but your issue is so rare that its impossible for companies to think about it in advance. Imagine if , every time we changed skins (either as advertisement or redesign), we had to consider that some of our hundreds of thousands of readers might be, in some way "allergic" to the colors we pick?

I'm actually attacking the adversement and the way it was handled itself. People complained about The Fuccons adversement, so wasn't anything learned from the last time?? If this was the idea of Namco/Bandai, then was this the best they could do? Banner ads would've been less intrusive. Even a header change would've been neater.

Quote:
What we can do, and do do, is offer the skin changes. If you don't like, or can't handle these colors, change them.

-t

Suggestion: Perhaps have an option to allow people to keep the default skin regardless of adversment and promos?? Or failing that idea, at least post up an article saying "Hate the current skin? Click here!!. It took me a few minutes to figure it out from the last one.
morsmaestro

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:19 pm Reply with quote
The new skin had me startled as well. I was browsing through the forum, and I clicked a link... BAM. New skin. I changed mine back, though, just to keep things how I'm used to them.

I don't think a warning is really necessary. Is a new skin really that hard to deal with? Hell, sometimes it's good to stir things up. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
People complained about The Fuccons adversement, so wasn't anything learned from the last time??

Do you know the story about the mule, the old man and his grandchild?

Regardless of what we do, people will complain.

Quote:
Banner ads would've been less intrusive. Even a header change would've been neater.

And both significantly less visible. Logo-branding and site re-skins are both options we offer to advertisers if they have a campaign that they really want to publicise and are willing to pay the price.

In other words, they wanted more bang, so they put down more buck.

This benefits ANN, and it benefits ANN's readers (More money = more features or more content).

Quote:
Suggestion: Perhaps have an option to allow people to keep the default skin regardless of adversment and promos?? Or failing that idea, at least post up an article saying "Hate the current skin? Click here!!. It took me a few minutes to figure it out from the last one.

What you're suggesting exists. And I won't advertise it, for what should be obvious reasons.

-t
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Finally the Naruto game for the PS2! My lack of a Gamecube will not prevent me from Narutarding out on my console any longer! Only my lack of funding will Mad

I clicked on the link thinking it was Bandai who had re-skinned their site for the month and was all confused when it wasn't. Silly me.
prettygirl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:00 am Reply with quote
First off, I have to admit that I didn't read all 3 pages of the posts so sorry if I'm being repetitive.

I was really excited to see the new Naruto ad. I like having the Naruto banner.

What I think needs to be changed is the bright red and yellow background. It takes attention away from what it's actually advertising. Essentially what I'm saying is that the ad becomes the backgroud while the bright colours become the main focus. I mean, Naruto is camouflaged for crying out loud!
SnowStar_7*

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:52 am Reply with quote
I cannot even see the full Naruto picture with those little ads on top of it :sigh: .

Anyways, gamers let me get my facts straight. This is the second Naruto game to come to the states. The first one being for Gamecube. There are I believe four in Japan and they all continue in a series. All the rest will be released for PS2 like this one. Correct? Thanks in advance.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:25 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Abarenbo Shogun wrote:
People complained about The Fuccons adversement, so wasn't anything learned from the last time??

Do you know the story about the mule, the old man and his grandchild?

Regardless of what we do, people will complain.

Quote:
Banner ads would've been less intrusive. Even a header change would've been neater.

And both significantly less visible. Logo-branding and site re-skins are both options we offer to advertisers if they have a campaign that they really want to publicise and are willing to pay the price.

In other words, they wanted more bang, so they put down more buck.

This benefits ANN, and it benefits ANN's readers (More money = more features or more content).
If I was paying those "bucks" I wouldn't be too happy that the other advertising banner covers most of the "bang" so much so that the whole concept was lost to me until someone mentioned it was a Naruto theme, not having seen it yet. One of my disabilities of not being a fre..
I mean "downloader". Rolling Eyes
(Changed skin to Classic Blue)
SJFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Since i am a big Shonen Jump fan, i like the new skin! Naruto is awsome. Cool
Ataru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm Reply with quote
SnowStar_7* wrote:
Anyways, gamers let me get my facts straight. This is the second Naruto game to come to the states. The first one being for Gamecube. There are I believe four in Japan and they all continue in a series. All the rest will be released for PS2 like this one. Correct? Thanks in advance.

The Big o' List of Naruto games and their systems.

But yeah, 1 GBA side scroller, 1 GC 3D fighter, and 1 PS2 2-D/3-D fighter. As for the other games, no dates for the States, but the chances for their State side release. You can play GC on the Wii, so Naruto fans who didn't like the purple lunch box can get in to this fighter if they get the Wii.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
RJ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
I'm not buying the game because 97% of all anime based games suck, but the new skin is a nice touch.

Often sad but true, yet the PS2 Naruto games are a blast. Save your money for #2 and #3.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Ok, so how much would it cost me to have Spongebob Squarepants in optical illusion prints made into ANN skin? Yes, I would pay to make your crying eyes bleed! Laughing

Honestly, I liked the colors. I hope ANN will do that every now and again. But if they go pink, I want them to be in explosions, not just solid pink, please lord, no!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3