• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Reed All About It

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Jonny2x4 wrote:
I always disliked the Ruby Spears' Mega Man series, since the opening made it looked like a more exciting show than it actually was.I always figured the show was animated by a Japanese studio, even if the character designs were a bit too westernized compared to the games at the time.

Of course, Ashi Pro did work in this set of OVA's which I felt at least made amends for the Ruby-Spears nutjob.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kktCSSTHmn0
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Jonny2x4 wrote:
I always disliked the Ruby Spears' Mega Man series, since the opening made it looked like a more exciting show than it actually was.

SUPER FIGHTING ROBOT!
BorgmanJayce

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:56 am Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
I've had the luck to see the original Chon Senshi Borgman, which, had actually at least one non Japanese release in one EU country (Italy). It was forbidden to sell it outside Italy though because at the time the series didn't even have a Japanese DVD release (recently it was released as a BD box including all the sequels and spinoff).
I think, despite its age, that is still a nice series. Despite adding some annoying side characters for younger audience there are some interesting choices. For example,

spoiler[in the end, the brother of one of the characters who was brainwashed into fighting against the Borgman never recovers and is killed still believing he is the "fake persona"]

Sadly none of the sequels (which is the US basically got) really managed to work well. Last Battle really was a mess, and Lover's Rain tried to inject drama over an event that had zero in the ending of the series. The "sequel", Borgman 2 was a 3 OAV affair that went nowhere.
Of all the "guy in armor" series of the period Ashi's Borgman is probably one of I like more, along with Shurato.

As someone who's a huge Borgman fan himself (Why do you think I have Borgman as part of my handle here? Anime smile), I think it's pretty cool that Mike mentioned the series as part of his latest article and I admit that when I get the chance, I'm going to watch the recently released fansubs of the Borgman 2058 anime which in all honesty, weren't that bad.

On another note, I always thought that Memory Geen was way hotter than Anice! (Think about it... Hot sexy scientist chick who has a secret identity as the headmistress of a school AND who looks sexy while wearing glasses vs. a cute schoolteacher = No contest! Anime smile)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3