• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toriyama: Became Disinterested in Fighting Manga During Dragon Ball

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:01 am Reply with quote
Hawkmoth wrote:
I like that this was his official comment for a fan event. "I came to hate what you all love."

It seems more like a good natured, "I'm getting too old for this shit."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Regarding each point

- Toriyama picked the VA
- Goku IS supposed to sound like that
- Goku is a manchild

I DO NOT CARE. Original creators decision ≠ The best/correct decision. They're still just people with opinions.

Even if Toriyama himself picked the voice, it doesn't mean I have to like it nor accept it as the 'real' Goku. I see the same people defending it still bitching over anything after Freiza yet those were part of his decisions.

So, I can't dislike the original creator's decision in one area and HAVE to accept it no matter what otherwise it's considered blasphemous by subbies yet it's okay to complain in another area? What a load of BULLSH**!!

Last edited by TopGunman on Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:40 am; edited 2 times in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote
Toriyama has had nearly 2 decades to get over it. I've seen the show enough times to agree with him. He is no doubt jaded from making it.

Dr. Slump with Arale was more his forte anyway. Its that eighth grade comedy that doesnt translate here like good ol fashioned violence kid show do.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 am Reply with quote
It was not just the Buu saga (i think around the end of freeza he was already done with it personally) but Buu might have been the breakpoint for him where he just sad that he woudn't continue despite Shuesha and Toei wanting to cotinue it for many years to come.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote
I got tired of Dragonball since it was same plot over and over again:
Bad guy appears. Heroes fight bad guy but loses. Heroes train and power up and finally beat the bad guy. Repeat.

Seeing this formula and the fact Goku was an Idiot Manchild made me lose all interest with the series and dislike all Idiot Heroes in anime/manga.
Hawkmoth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:47 am Reply with quote
TonyTonyChopper wrote:
It was not just the Buu saga (i think around the end of freeza he was already done with it personally) but Buu might have been the breakpoint for him where he just sad that he woudn't continue despite Shuesha and Toei wanting to cotinue it for many years to come.

It might have been even earlier than that: I believe that he originally intended to end it towards the end of volume 2 spoiler[after Oolong wishes for panties] but was asked to continue it, despite it not being that popular at the time (at least this is what he said in the letters in the back of the volumes).

No wonder he doesn't want to draw any more! I still like him though. he's a funny man.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:21 am Reply with quote
I remember somebody posting a link to a site that had lists of why every fan-suggested ending point was wrong. It did mention that Toriyama's admitted to never planning very far ahead, so basically any point he thought about ending it wouldn't really show in the manga anyway.
Psajdak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:32 am Reply with quote
2 - 3 weeks ago, I marathoned remaining Dragon Ball Kai episodes (I left it few years ago at the point where Goku starts fighting Ginyu squad), and yesterday that Dragon Ball Kai special, which is also like episode 98 of this series.

I would probably dropped it, but I decided to finish series anyway, so I can properly start watching sequel which starts in about week, primarily because I'm interested in Shino Kakinuma's performance Videl, I mean, Videl has new seiyuu aftell all these years, and none other than Naru from Sailor Moon.

What I confirmed during that watching?

1. Frieza fight was ridiculously long, I can't believe I actually watched even longer version when I watched DBZ.

2. Vegeta is such douchebag, and without reason, that even I who don't dislike douchebags was tired of him. Compared to before, he really became likeable during his battle with Majin Buu, and in Battle of Gods.

3. #17 is, IMO, as character, best DBZ villain; putting his strength aside (I don't really care about that), he was so "outside" Dragon Ball, so interesting and fun.
I'm really sad Toriyama didn't gave him important role after Cell saga.

4. Now, Raditz came to mind...
Why the fudge did Toriyama wasted such character who held so much possibilities?
I mean, he's Goku's brother for fudge sake.

5. #18, Mr. Satan, Videl, Trunks, Fusion Dance, Potara Fusion, design of Frieza, Cell, and Majin Buu, We Gotta Power - one of best opening songs ever, Super Saiyans, finding about Namek being Piccolo's home planet, and Goku being an alien as well, Kuririn actually having hair, Goku being a father (could anyone imagine that while watching him in first series as kid?), Bulma and Vegeta having son...
Even if it was mainly about fights, DBZ had some very interesting and unexpected things.

I don't know, even if Toriyama said he's not interested in fighting manga, I would have liked if he at least participated in character design and maybe even script for possible DB movies.
Battle of Gods really didn't felt so much like fighting anime movie, and it was pretty entertaining.

Plus, who would have ever thought kid Trunks would fall in love with none other than Mai from Pilaf's gang?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote
I'd get tired of drawing something like this too if I had done it for so long. Also I believe Dragon Ball (both the manga and the anime) had a lot of internal politics and executives behind the scenes telling Akira Toriyama what to do and when to stop. It evolved into something completely different than it originally was. I still enjoy the whole franchise though.

Also, I'm not at all a fan of Goku's Japanese voice actress, but I would never insult her personally. She seems like a nice and gracious person, and she can't control who she's cast as. Her casting is probably fairly normal-sounding in Japan, however strange and bizarre it sounds to us.
Dunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
His comment regarding putting Characters like Mr. Satan at the forefront is important, he did to what he liked during the Boo Saga unlike the Cell Arc

The Boo Arc had alot of sillyness and just an off-the-cuff vibe to it. Similar to early Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump really.
The Cell Arc was really the lowpoint I think. It was really too serious all the time, and lacked personality, you could tell that editors wanted a slogfest ala Hokuto no Ken, and cash in on the popularity of the establishments of the Friezer Arc. It was all DBZ is made fun of.

The Boo Arc had Gohan acting like a goofball wanting to be a superhero (reminds of Supaman of Dr. Slump), some slice-of-life, a re-uniation of old friends, the supposedly old, wise and holy thing being silly (Old Kaio Shin, the Fusion technique, the Z-Sword being useless). The sheninigans with Mr. Satan and Boo. The contrast of Toriyama humor and DBZ powerlevel fest made it really good, it had found it's perfect tone, right at the end of it all. It reminds of One Piece where it is very serious but really just ridiciolus and silly at the same time.

Cell had a bullshit premise too, totally an asspull really...Boo was magic and afterworld stuff, which made more sense to the Dragon Ball lore.

Btw the reason Goku has the Japanese voice he does, is because she was very popular and recognizable from early Dragon Ball.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Toriyama has had nearly 2 decades to get over it. I've seen the show enough times to agree with him. He is no doubt jaded from making it.

Dr. Slump with Arale was more his forte anyway. Its that eighth grade comedy that doesnt translate here like good ol fashioned violence kid show do.

He got over it right after he made Dragon Ball...one shots like Neko Majin, Jaco etc. are all humorous and silly stuff. The comment that he wants to do comedy, is really really old, and should be common knowledge (if you are a fan of Dragon Ball).
DTJB

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
Considering the fact that he wanted to wrap up the series several times (especially since Cell Saga was the big finish he really wanted), this isn't all that surprising to hear.
Dunks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
Toriyama is still a genius for coming up with these great influential concepts on a whim even when he wasn't really feeling it. He just didn't try hard.

I'd say One Piece as of today woudn't really exist the same way without the Boo Arc.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
TopGunMan wrote:
Regarding each point

- Toriyama picked the VA
- Goku IS supposed to sound like that
- Goku is a manchild

I DO NOT CARE. Original creators decision ≠ The best/correct decision. They're still just people with opinions.

Even if Toriyama himself picked the voice, it doesn't mean I have to like it nor accept it as the 'real' Goku. I see the same people defending it still bitching over anything after Freiza yet those were part of his decisions.

So, I can't dislike the original creator's decision in one area and HAVE to accept it no matter what otherwise it's considered blasphemous by subbies yet it's okay to complain in another area? What a load of BULLSH**!!

Nobody understands Goku more than Toriyama itself. If Toriyama always pictured Goku as sounding like Masako Nozawa, then who exactly, are we to judge? You're welcome to prefer Schemmel, Corlett, Kelamis or Morrow over Nozawa but attacking the original creator for his vision is just childish.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
You can judge his poor taste in decision making, sort of like casting Russel Crowe to sing. I can understand the eternal manchild of Goku being voiced by Nozawa until she dies or DB forever ends, buy why also for his genius and not-manchild son, Gohan?
TopGunman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:

Nobody understands Goku more than Toriyama itself. If Toriyama always pictured Goku as sounding like Masako Nozawa, then who exactly, are we to judge? You're welcome to prefer Schemmel, Corlett, Kelamis or Morrow over Nozawa but attacking the original creator for his vision is just childish.

Not to sound like a smartass, but what the hay? We are the audience. The people whom are supposed to be entertained. And we have critics as part of that audience who do just that. Are you saying critics are childish as they have to critique even voice cast? Who else was the manga made for? Himself? It's not a Dojinshi. He wouldn't have made money that way.

I didn't attack Toriyama himself. In fact, I'm the only one who can sit through the entire manga series with absolutely ZERO complaints. I'm only saying that just because he had a vision, doesn't mean it's automatically good let alone perfect. I also only said that I prefer Sean Schemmel's Goku.

If I attacked anyone, it's Masako Nozawa, and it's not just for playing Goku, I hate it every time she uses that voice in any role more than subbies hate Naruto's dub voice.

Speaking of 'attacking' what about the asshole in a previous post on this very forum who called people who prefer dubs 'dubfags'?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5