• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Compile Heart Teases PS4 Idol RPG Omega Quintet in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Jave wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
Hmmm........ after a stellar start, PS4 sales in Japan have slowed down considerably.

Can ya blame 'em? Only games for PS4 are Final Fantasy XIV and Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes Laughing Need some games for them to play first. Doubt the PS4 will do PS3 numbers in the end though. Handhelds seem to be taking over the market.

Yeah, not as many games aimed for them at least; that's why I mentioned the chicken-and-egg situation. Home consoles in general, Japan in particular, will sell less: PS4 lower than PS3 lower than PS2. There are more and more competition from other devices.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Oh c'mon, wasn't that bad. By chance did ya play the Japanese? We had to turn the Japanese off since it's hard to endure shrill pitches that high for hours and hours. Then we were able to enjoy playing the game enough.
No it's an awful game.

It's the only jrpg I've played that willingly makes it's battle system worse as the game goes on. That actually takes away ok elements of the system as the game goes. Not expanding, but actually limiting the battle system all for the worse. It dosen't matter, because it's piss easy and offers no real interesting mechanics in character progression or weapon crafting.

The characters are all awful. The story was one of the most terribly written this gen. Character motivations would be spouted in nonsensical ways and would come out of nowhere with no actual build up. The bow girl says she likes the swordsmen dude in a cutscene, but it's random and is never followed up again. The script wallows in boring melodrama as it constantly keeps bringing up the same stuff over and over again. It will bring up revelations that it thinks you should care about, but it's about characters you don't know or they have no development beforehand. The villains and the reason for the conflict in the game are all hilarious. It all could have worked if it went for a subtle and whimsical tale, but this game has no energy for that. It's slow and plodding as it constantly overstates every little thing.

The cutscene direction is awful. It's boring and sterile as it with no energy just pans on characters talking in the most un-natural ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKg9wsOqqyk

One of the worst cutscenes in a big budget jrpg. You don't even know Claves but the game for some reason thinks you should care about a character you've known for maybe 30 mins. And the flashbacks to things that happen in the very same cutscene is just so poor.

No, Eternal Sonata is not a great game. It is awful. I'm sorry that for some of you the only standards you have is that it's cute and from Japan. I don't subscribe to that.

Quote:
The Gust line-up of games is aimed mainly at men, but like most of these games they attract a large female player base.
Seems like they are primarily for girls.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/04/atelier-totori-grabs-gold-as-the-best-playstation-game-for-girls/

Quote:
Guys can love the cute girls,
Well I'm sorry thats all you care about, some of us actually liked it when Japan made games that had more then "these are cute girls".

Quote:
If ya feel like a creep for playing games featuring girls that might say more about the person than the game
No I feel like a creep for playing a game where the point is to jiggle little girl's boobs. The fact that you don't says pretty bad things about you. It says nothing about me other then I'm probably not a creep or a pedophile.

I also did'nt say much about the Atilier series, so I'm not sure why that keeps coming up. But as Jave has illustrated the entire appeal is about cute little girls. So thanks for proving that I wasn't wrong about the series. Since my criteria for liking things does not solely revolve around "does it have cute girls" I'm not sure why I would want to play games where that is the only thing about them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Quote:
Oh c'mon, wasn't that bad. By chance did ya play the Japanese? We had to turn the Japanese off since it's hard to endure shrill pitches that high for hours and hours. Then we were able to enjoy playing the game enough.
No it's an awful game.

It's the only jrpg I've played that willingly makes it's battle system worse as the game goes on. That actually takes away ok elements of the system as the game goes. Not expanding, but actually limiting the battle system all for the worse. It dosen't matter, because it's piss easy and offers no real interesting mechanics in character progression or weapon crafting.

The characters are all awful. The story was one of the most terribly written this gen. Character motivations would be spouted in nonsensical ways and would come out of nowhere with no actual build up. The bow girl says she likes the swordsmen dude in a cutscene, but it's random and is never followed up again. The script wallows in boring melodrama as it constantly keeps bringing up the same stuff over and over again. It will bring up revelations that it thinks you should care about, but it's about characters you don't know or they have no development beforehand. The villains and the reason for the conflict in the game are all hilarious. It all could have worked if it went for a subtle and whimsical tale, but this game has no energy for that. It's slow and plodding as it constantly overstates every little thing.

The cutscene direction is awful. It's boring and sterile as it with no energy just pans on characters talking in the most un-natural ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKg9wsOqqyk

One of the worst cutscenes in a big budget jrpg. You don't even know Claves but the game for some reason thinks you should care about a character you've known for maybe 30 mins. And the flashbacks to things that happen in the very same cutscene is just so poor.

No, Eternal Sonata is not a great game. It is awful. I'm sorry that for some of you the only standards you have is that it's cute and from Japan. I don't subscribe to that.

Quote:
The Gust line-up of games is aimed mainly at men, but like most of these games they attract a large female player base.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/04/atelier-totori-grabs-gold-as-the-best-playstation-game-for-girls/

Quote:
Guys can love the cute girls,
Well I'm sorry thats all you care about, some of us actually liked it when Japan made games that had more then "these are cute girls".

Quote:
If ya feel like a creep for playing games featuring girls that might say more about the person than the game
No I feel like a creep for playing a game where the point is to jiggle little girl's boobs. The fact that you don't says pretty bad things about you. It says nothing about me other then I'm probably not a creep or a pedophile.

I also did'nt say much about the Atilier series, so I'm not sure why that keeps coming up. But as Jave has illustrated the entire appeal is about cute little girls. So thanks for proving that I wasn't wrong about the series. Since my criteria for liking things does not solely revolve around "does it have cute girls" I'm not sure why I would want to play games where that is the only thing about them.

What about star ocean IV, the last remnant, infinite undiscovery, blue dragon, lost odyssey or tales of vesperia?? Are you saying all of these previous gen "jrpgs i hate this damn term" where shit as well?? I understand not wanting to playing to games that make you feel dirty but you have go to at least recognize that some of these games where good. For the record I liked eternal sonata if you didn't, fine by me it's your opinion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jave

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
http://www.siliconera.com/​2013/​01/​04/​atelier-​totori-​grabs-​gold-​as-​the-​best-​playstation-​game-​for-​girls/​

Apparently Persona, One Piece, and Hatsune Miku are for girls too if you go by that site Laughing

They're just listing which games are popular with women, not who these games are aimed at. Like I said, if ya find these games creepy then that's your own issue. Apparently a lot of women have little issue with these games. Seems like you're makin' a big deal out of this when no one else is.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What about star ocean IV, the last remnant, infinite undiscovery, blue dragon, lost odyssey or tales of vesperia?? Are you saying all of these previous gen "jrpgs i hate this damn term" where shit as well??

I've said that there's a lack of jrpgs this gen. That it seems many jrpgs now are from the likes of IF and are otaku centric games. Be that in fanservice or just being about cute girls. Ryan Andrews wanted to point at that it's always been like that. He's wrong. During the PS2 gen there were many jrpgs beyond that otaku centric crap. So much that you could easily ignore the fact that IF and Gust games even existed. Not so much now. I don't play jrpgs to look at "cute girls" and I have no interests in games where that seems to be the focus.

I never said many of the games you listed were bad though they aren't great imo.

Star Ocean 4 is a pretty bad game to look at and listen to. Fun to play, but weak in everything else.

TLR is an ok game. You have to play on PC though.

ToV, I never got what was so great about it. Tales games bore me. They all look the same and take place in the same boring looking generic fantasy world at this point. They all seem to merge into one bland Talesness. There were some sparks of interests with Yuri, but they end before they go anywhere. So I was never a big fan. Still somehow it's the best looking Tales game this gen. Doesn't look or feel cheap like all the proceeding titles. It's fun to play to a point, but all Tales games are.

Infinite Undiscovery is a pretty meh jrpg. Blue Dragon has a fun battle system and at least looks appealing.

Really, Lost Odyssey is the only really good jrpg I believe you listed.

I mean it's really just been Xenoblade, TLS, Lost Odyssey, and Resonance of Fate that have been good console jrpgs. I'll throw in XIII, but that's a controversial choice.

Quote:
I understand not wanting to playing to games that make you feel dirty
It really has less to do with physically making me feel dirty. I'm just not part of that audience. I don't play jrpgs to look at cute girls. The jrpgs that seem to solely about that crap are lacking in areas that I value in jrpgs.

Quote:
but you have go to at least recognize that some of these games where good.
I really don't because they weren't.

Quote:
Apparently Persona, One Piece, and Hatsune Miku are for girls too if you go by that site Laughing
Wouldn't surprise me.

I really don't see how Atilier games are aimed at men when pretty much everything about them is for girls. They even seem to sell beyond what IF's otaku centric games and don't have any supposed otaku stylings.

But since you've told me that "they are just about looking at cute girls" then thats all I need to know.

Quote:
Like I said, if ya find these games creepy then that's your own issue.
I do like how you avoid pretty much everything in arguments. I never said Atilier games were creepy. I hardly said anything about them. I don't care about them. I was talking about IF's games. You want to tell me they aren't creepy otaku centric games? It's fine if you like them, but don't tell me that I may have a problem because I don't enjoy ogling little girls.

I hope we get plenty of jrpgs on the PS4 that aren't just otaku crap.

Quote:
Seems like you're makin' a big deal out of this when no one else is.
I'm sorry that I like jrpgs and wish they weren't crap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3