• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Jojo's Mojo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:08 pm Reply with quote
It's indeed very awesome that Jojo is gaining steam over here, and I intend to support it fully (I mean, look at my avatar...). I have yet to grab All-Star Battle, but I will within the year.

For those of you who are new, just wait until Stardust Crusaders starts getting closer to the end. The final battle will have you yelling "OHHHHHHHHH" at the screen.

For the naysayer, Jojo, especially the third arc, is famous for breaking the mold of standard shonen battles, both with its use of psychic avatars doing the fighting, and with Araki's idea of changing locales constantly; so that things are fresh and the team has to use strategy rather than Fist of the North Star/Dragon Ball superpowered brute force to defeat enemies. In other words, Jojo is a great mix of style AND substance. It is the anti-Dragon Ball in every sense. (Not intended as a slight against DB, but to demonstrate that Jojo broke the Shonen Jump Battle Manga mold personified by DB in most people's minds)

P.S. Jotaro > Joseph. Then again, I love the taciturn Kenshiro/Charles Bronson/Clint Eastwood hero (JK was inspired by Eastwood, who has been photographed doing the Jotaro Point for the Jojomenon book).

Last edited by doomydoomdoom on Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:06 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Wait, that Jojo manual image is legit?

No, it's fake. The US release doesn't even get a manual at all.
Well, other than JP/EU releases though get a manual, there is a PDF version of the game's manual on Bamco's site.

OT: Other than that, the Jojo series has its own charm, style, action, and more importantly, the poses, lol. So yeah, the history and the traffic the series is going, the better.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Off topic, I NEED this!
StudioToledo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That's a pretty amusing tweak, turning a wordy but evocative title into something that sounds like a circus monkey starting a business. One of my local arcades had the game for a short period of time, and I regularly made trips over there to play it, along with the cool Banpresto Mazinger Z arcade game. But it was soon gone, only to be replaced by a more accurately-titled home version.

Recall my local arcade had the Banpresto Dragon Ball Z game with this classic scene.
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/30891947416851490/

Quote:
The series never really led to anything else for the A.P.P.P. satellite—which grinds my gears, because I really want a Robot Carnival bluray-- but they made it to market before other Japan-owned subsidiaries like Toei USA, Bandai Visual USA, and of course, Aniplex USA.

Paid to be first! Razz

Quote:
What's more, Shueisha has kept the series out of print in most regions after Arabic fans complained about a scene involving the villainous Dio using a Qu'ran as a prop, but the show just got a cheap DVD re-release in France, so there might be hope for it down the road.

Thank you social networking Arabs out there!

Quote:
and similar forces are ostensibly at work keeping Phantom Blood from the public. I don't care if it's bad, though-- since I can't have it, dammit, I want it!

Don't suppose there was any hand-cam footage either.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
Awesome read. I was curious about Jojo for quite a while now, but never really knew how to get into it.

So the current series is an entire reboot, starting from the beginning of the manga? For some reason I thought it was just a random arc. I mean sure, it sounds crazy, but Devil Survivor 2 got an adaptation while DS1 never saw any sort of anime. Would that be the best jumping off point, or should I check out one of the ova first?
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:33 am Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
Awesome read. I was curious about Jojo for quite a while now, but never really knew how to get into it.

So the current series is an entire reboot, starting from the beginning of the manga? For some reason I thought it was just a random arc. I mean sure, it sounds crazy, but Devil Survivor 2 got an adaptation while DS1 never saw any sort of anime. Would that be the best jumping off point, or should I check out one of the ova first?

You can start on the current season with no issues, but then you'd miss Battle Tendency, which is quite a lot of fun.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I won't lie when I say that I enjoyed this column. I never quite knew what Jojo's Bizarre franchise was about other than the manga I saw sitting in Japanese bookstores and the games that were being sold in the states. My first exposure to the creator was through his earlier work 'Baoh'. I saw the OVA many years ago through trades with friends. Then later on I came across the Jojo books but never made the connection that it was tbe same person until a decade or two later. And that wasn't through a wiki entry, it was connecting the dots through the art. The interesting thing after reading this column is seeing how this series has had staying power for all these years. And the fact that it borrows from a long gone era or "banchou" males always had me puzzled. But I'm truly amazed that the creator has been able to keep the series going this long. I mean 100+ volumes, now that is impressive.

I'm trying to find anime clips to the show to see some of those poses. But I'll admit they are pretty intense.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3