• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Introduces Luna in Latest Sailor Moon English Dub Clip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:59 pm Reply with quote
the-antihero wrote:
Wow! Not even a Sailor Moon fan, but the difference in dub quality is huge when compared to the first dub. Unless you're a nostalgic twat, the new version is insanely better the same way Macross's redub was.

Ah, I made it through one episode of the Macross redub after watching one episode of each. Somehow, only Robotech thought narration was necessary in order to explain what was going on in the first episode.

It was.

I didn't consider myself a nostalgic twat until I played the clip. {Not just for the original dub but also the abridged series.} Nagging Luna, yes, pleading Luna, alright, bossy Luna, nailed it but bored Luna? Luna, your words?

"Great."

Also, arched cat, tail in air, hiss in voice. I'm really starting to question the direction here.

"Moon prism power ... makeup"
Here's the thing about that. In Japanese, this words were spoken in English which made more along the lines of magic words. In English, it sounds pretty stupid.

I'm fine with the "Moon Prism" start and "Power" speaks for itself; "Makeup", wow, can't imagine why it was changed the first time. First time I heard in the Japanese, I thought it was kind of insulting. In English, it's really insulting as they added a pause somehow. So, when Usagi's failing to be all she can be, it's just because she's pretending?

Nostalgic twattering...
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
YAY SHE DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A STUPID PARODY!!

Her performance is a tad underwhelming, but oh well, I'm sure it'll be good enough for those who will be watching the dub (not among them).

All in all though, Viz's choices sound like great matches, and as far as I'm concerned this is the only dub of Sailor Moon that has ever been recorded, period. I can rest easy knowing the era of butchered anime is finally over (save for Yu-Gi-Oh, which is out of anybody's hands, and Shaman King, which needs a rescue. Doraemon and Pokèmon I don't care about). THANKS VIZ!
lordwindowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I don't believe that Sailor Moon is finally getting a proper dub. That's.. actually really damned good. I won't watch it over the original, but it's sounding fantastic compared to that Dic hack job from the 90s.

@Animegomaniac

Yeah, I think you're making too much out of it and reading WAY too far into the use of "make up". You can put on make up and not be "pretending".

[EDIT: Don't over-quote, and don't double-post, please. -TK]
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

"Moon prism power ... makeup"
Here's the thing about that. In Japanese, this words were spoken in English which made more along the lines of magic words. In English, it sounds pretty stupid.

I don't know why, but I felt that way when I first heard it too, but I think it's because when it's said in English, it sounds weird.

I don't know how to explain it... but it's like "Moon Prism Power! Make up!" instead of "Moon Prism Power....Make up!"

(.-.) If that doesn't make sense,I understand.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Now,I've watched the original English dub of "Sailor Moon" and I was surprised. I was expecting a British accent for Luna. The earlier clip of the new dub and they both sounded a lot like the voices in the original dub. I liked the DIC version. The Viz version is something I'm going to have to get used to.
As for the guy who said that the era of "butchered" anime is over,I hope not. I never really had a problem with DIC's version. I thought that it made the show easier for kids to see and that I liked it.

Returning to Luna,I read somewhere once that her original English voice sounded a lot like Angela Lansbury. I thought it was nice and fit the character well. Ms. Ruff could have given her a British accent,albeit a younger one. Again,this new dub is going to take a lot of getting used to.
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:54 am Reply with quote
Luna was the only voice I could remember from the original dub but this one wasn't bad. It was a bit higher and "teenager-ish" so for now she doesn't really sound like the wise old cat I recall her being (not that I remember anything about her age but yeah). I'm curious to hear how she'll sound when nagging Usagi (good thing I don't watch Bleach xD). I like Usagi's voice a lot better than in the first clip too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:26 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, that damn faux British accent from DiC Luna is still trapped in my mind, but clearly this dub is far better, and I'm enjoying both Sheh and Ruff in this new clip.

But Ruff isn't Rukia to me, she's Fujiko Mine to me. Which makes her voicing a cat a tinge disturbing when I think about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Osiris20

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:47 am Reply with quote
For this being the same episode Stephanie Sheh sounds amazing in this clip over the first where she sounded ok when not whining. Luna is gonna take some getting used to. I got a Rukia vibe from her while i didn't get an Orihime vibe from Usagi.

I am also one that's not too keen about their decision to keep the "make-up" part. I feel like Viz is trying to keep EVERYTHING in verbatim except with english voice acting and that may not be what's best, but it's too late now at least. Maybe with some fan feedback they can change it for the R, S, and SuperS redubs and the Stars dub.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Sounded quite good.

NeoStrayCat wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Luna... from the Soul Society.

Yoruichi did it first. The "Cat" thing you mention before you edited your post. >_>

Anyways, still good so far, and yeah, for those having to adjust from the old dub accent to the re-dub soul reaper, lol.

Laughing

Yeah. Even though I too could ofcourse also at the same time hear them as Orihime and Rukia (perhaps moreso Rukia between the two of them in this particular clip) since I watch Bleach every week on Toonami it still sounded quite good and even moreso as one of their first scenes, I'm sure they'll get even better and this was a pretty good start, Usagi was pretty much right on in this clip I think, as Osiris20 said.

It's been quite a while since I heard the old dub.

whiskeyii wrote:
It's a fine voice, but like others, the old British Luna is WAAAAY entrenched in my mind. But, BOY, did that voice sound bizarre coming out of movie!Luna. o_O So, this sounds more fitting, it'll just take some readjusting to get used to it. I guess it's also a good thing I don't watch Bleach on a regular basis; didn't even recognize Orihime, and the most I know Luna from is Dojima in Witch Hunter Robin.

Loved that WHR dub.

Will totally double-dip on that if a newer release has improved video than the old DVDs even just due to newer encoding methods.

penguintruth wrote:
Unfortunately, that damn faux British accent from DiC Luna is still trapped in my mind, but clearly this dub is far better, and I'm enjoying both Sheh and Ruff in this new clip.

But Ruff isn't Rukia to me, she's Fujiko Mine to me. Which makes her voicing a cat a tinge disturbing when I think about it.

She's such a great Fujiko.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

That would make her a cat burglar, yes? Laughing
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Well, that was interesting.

I have to get used to not hearing the British accent and all. Heh.

no kidding. i got way too use to the DIC version of Luna way too much for it to sound right. personally they should have only used that VA from the DIC casting.

that and usagi being called bunhead when her hair looks like meatballs which was why i had no problem with her being called that. kinda surprised chibiusa wasnt called bunhead considering her hair does look like pink melon breads.

TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Jess-chan wrote:
I think it's funny that Rukia's voice from Bleach is Luna Laughing

DAMMIT NOW YOU'RE MAKING ME THINK ABOUT RUKIA!

Sorry bub. but that is how it is in these forums. people will always use characters that made them well known in the house hold and at times use really bad puns.

Also if you though this was bad, just wait until viz does a trailer for JYB voicing artemis. the ichigo and Vash puns will be enough to make your head blow till the cows come home.

NeoStrayCat wrote:
FLCLGainax wrote:
Luna... from the Soul Society.

Yoruichi did it first. The "Cat" thing you mention before you edited your post. >_>

Anyways, still good so far, and yeah, for those having to adjust from the old dub accent to the re-dub soul reaper, lol.

for some.yes. for others, not so much. especially when it will come time for chibiusa and Diana.

Also its only 5 bleach VA that are used. Remember,its being dubbed by AX,not Studiopolis.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:29 am Reply with quote
..i dont like the voice at all...plus they need to call her serna!!!! and luna sounds like doujima from witch hunter robin...they should have kept the orginal cast
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
fuff wrote:
..i don't like the voice at all...plus they need to call her serna!!!! and luna sounds like doujima from witch hunter robin...they should have kept the orginal cast

The whole point of the new dub is to call the character by their original names, not Serena, not darien, not lita, etc...

Although the dub isn't really workin' on me right now...it'll be something we have to get used to.
Swirlyd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote
Considering Luna is supposed to be around Usagi's age in the original, yeah this works pretty nice. It's just going to take a little getting used to. I love how she says Usagi-chan in the original japanese dub >.<
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
that and usagi being called bunhead when her hair looks like meatballs which was why i had no problem with her being called that. kinda surprised chibiusa wasnt called bunhead considering her hair does look like pink melon breads.

No, they look like dangos.

Osiris20 wrote:
I am also one that's not too keen about their decision to keep the "make-up" part. I feel like Viz is trying to keep EVERYTHING in verbatim except with english voice acting and that may not be what's best, but it's too late now at least. Maybe with some fan feedback they can change it for the R, S, and SuperS redubs and the Stars dub.

What should they have gone with instead, on this more accurate English dub?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4