• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunrise Unveils Cross Ange Original TV Anime With 1st Promo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:

Yet I still want to go ask them, "oh, dear, who dressed you like that?" By no means do I think that a show that's draping fantasy imagery over a science-fiction premise should be obliged to attire its characters in strictly practical, realistic clothing, but those bizarre, assless quasi-swimsuit flight suits seem just as unsuitable. I think it would have been a lot cooler if they wore something that drew from chivalric imagery, like cheap canvas fedoras and polyester vests from Target stylized adaptations of medieval knights.

I appreciated that it presented Princess Ange, which sounds like the name of a character from The Real Housewives of New Jersey, seriously and dramatically with no bumbling or bouncing to make her cute, sexlessly sexualized and generally not threatening. Yet, that does make the Fredericks of Hollywood flight suits seem more incongruous. Maybe that kind of stuff will be in the series, but at least they're not leading with that pigeon-toed foot.

I'm skeptical and a little leery, but I would be particularly pleased if this turned out to be a good series. I'll at least be paying attention when opinions start coming in.

Oh, and...

Quote:
Although she is a superior soldier, she only makes actions that are exactly to the materials she has learned, which sometimes causes problems whens she needs to react to varied situations.

Quote:
After she puts out ridiculous quizzes to people, she one-sidedly recognizes them as a friend. Her hobbies are quizzes.

Do these sentences read better in Japanese. Descriptions like these always come off as awkward and a little affected, but I've often wondered if that's just something that comes from the original source that can't much be helped in English.

I actually like a bit of a sexual attire because it's visually appealing and fun. I don't think they are dead set on making a hyper realistic story. A serious story maybe, but not something strictly realistic. Especially when it features humanoid mecha, which largely is not going to be seen as something that would invoke any realism.

And I don't get the whole 'sexlessly sexual' because a design being sexy or cute needs to be just that. Not to mention aesthetics work visually, not really as something that necessarily ties to her characterization. Like other posters have said, they seem to be evoking the oldschool 80s and 90s sci fi with suit design.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Well, I will say one, the music has the potential to kick ass with Nana Mizuki singing the OP sequence and Akiko Shikata of freakin' Ar Tonelico fame doing the overall music! Surprised

With the singing voice actresses, it suggests another Symphogear.

Nana Mizuki is great live - I've seen her in concert 4 times so far.

Other singers in the cast that I've heard live:

Eri Kitamura (twice)
Yukari Tamura (three times)
Sumire Uesaka (once)
Mamoru Miyano (three times)
Yui Horie (twice)

I do wonder why they don't improve the animation side of it when they have such good voice actors/singers.
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Looks interesting but man am I getting sick of CGI being poorly integrated, it should be small things to help improve the picture not the main focus or else it just dosen't blend well.

That said mech was cool, looked like the freedom meshed with Jheuty from Z.O.E
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Mitsuo "Reuse-'Em-All" Fukuda producing a(nother) series heavily/lazily borrowing elements from other Sunrise shows (Gundam SEED Destiny, Valvrave, and Code Geass and Escaflowne to lesser extents), never mind the Symphogear suits or the vibes from that (visually) or Dragonaut ? Yay… Confused

I like the character designs a lot and especially like seeing a female-centric cast for a mecha show (though would it hurt people to do a regular or traditional mecha show with a female lead?). Not too fond of the helmets or the slightly-confusing plot, though… Still worth checking out to see if it is actually good. (I will claim that this will be pre-licensed by either FUNimation or Sentai--in that order--however. Seems like one of those type of shows…)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Looks kind of cool. The suits are rather ridiculous, but i'm more bothered by the visors/helmets they wear. When I see them head on, it looks like the girls have beaks (or their face is split in two). The mecha kind of remind me more Kawamori's Aquarion designs, but I have no problem with that. Its interesting that Sunrise is going with the full cg look, especially since a lot of their mecha work still seems hand drawn.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Does Yamato Kira know they stole his GUNDAM?
VPedge

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
> "Gundam SEED" staff contributes to original anime

I am not sure how I should take this.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Rivailloli wrote:
This actually could be pretty good. I'd rather girls not battle in slutty outfits, but hey, won't complain. I just hope that if they sexualize the girls it's not at times when they're fighting cause I always found that distracting and annoying.

I'll be looking forward to it.

Yeah.

Even the trailer has some shots like that already though in the cockpit so hopefully it's just not too bad to really get in the way, as you say particularly when more serious things are happening where it will probably feel even more out of place.

I like the design of Ange's mech, I agree with BigHeadClan, like a mix of Freedom and 00 Raiser for its colors and the way the blue light comes out, Jehuty, and a motorcycle (though that may be because of how it looked before it fully went into mech mode while she was flying it in the trailer and the seat as someone already mentioned).

Sam Murai wrote:
Mitsuo "Reuse-'Em-All" Fukuda producing a(nother) series heavily/lazily borrowing elements from other Sunrise shows (Gundam SEED Destiny, Valvrave, and Code Geass and Escaflowne to lesser extents), never mind the Symphogear suits or the vibes from that (visually) or Dragonaut ? Yay… Confused

I like the character designs a lot and especially like seeing a female-centric cast for a mecha show (though would it hurt people to do a regular or traditional mecha show with a female lead?). Not too fond of the helmets or the slightly-confusing plot, though… Still worth checking out to see if it is actually good. (I will claim that this will be pre-licensed by either FUNimation or Sentai--in that order--however. Seems like one of those type of shows…)

Yeah, I'm worried about Fukuda both for that and for me the other stuff that nagged me with Seed with the characters, hopefully the different writer will help there. But I also like the designs and having a female lead mecha pilot/main cast of female mecha pilots (totally agreed on the: how about eventually a regular or traditional mecha show with a female lead, ofcourse) so I'm still looking forward to it and some surprises since it's another anime-original mecha show and I've enjoyed a lot of Sunrise mecha over the years.

Otherwise rather cool staff, I really liked Tweeny Witches and First Squad that this director worked on and as everyone's already said Ar Tonelico had awesome music so I'm hoping for great stuff from this soundtrack at least.

Last edited by DangerMouse on Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
moonshine101

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote
This looks like it will turn out to be horrible like Gundam Seed to Gundam Destiny, it just didn't work. The fact it has terrible looking CGI and all females with suites that are clearly just fanservice then I am already turned off.

If I am to watch a Gundam anime, it has to have many good reasons because I usually stay away from Gundam animes. I know this will be terrible in the long run.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I think maybe Fukuda's influence on this is being a bit oversold? He's credited as "creative producer", yes, but it's not as though he's directing or scriptwriting the thing himself.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
At the one minute point in the PV it uses the "Destiny Finger" attack too.

you mean "Shin Finger"?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
thieftheodore wrote:

yup definitely not strike freedom

I'm getting Destiny Gundam vibes from it, actually.

Gundam vibes ? Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
More like Knights of Sidonia mecha rippoff.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Xshinobi wrote:
Sadly. Modern mecha needs more Go Nagai and less moe.

Because Go Nagai is famous for not exploiting women in terrible ways, amirite?

And those suits are not exploiting the female characters how exactly ?
What's wrong with Yamato 2199 level of female sexiness ? Razz
The premise of the show looks decent enough but oh boy, if those suits aren't changed to something real sexy (and not whore like) before the broadcast I'll pass over this one.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
I am surprised in 3 pages, Broken Blade was only referenced once and indirectly at that.
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Well, I will say one, the music has the potential to kick ass with Nana Mizuki singing the OP sequence and Akiko Shikata of freakin' Ar Tonelico fame doing the overall music! Surprised

With the singing voice actresses, it suggests another Symphogear.

Nana Mizuki is great live - I've seen her in concert 4 times so far.

Other singers in the cast that I've heard live:

Eri Kitamura (twice)
Yukari Tamura (three times)
Sumire Uesaka (once)
Mamoru Miyano (three times)
Yui Horie (twice)

I do wonder why they don't improve the animation side of it when they have such good voice actors/singers.

I personally think that Houko Kuwashima is the best singer in the cast. I've never seen her live perfomances, though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYrBF9CmI-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z_2uBNSPtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlDNiycGC40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtleWQxqIiM
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5