• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO! [2015-04-18]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:20 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Yet I am not really clear on why he set up that date in the first place, and why he got so much help from Yukinon's sister in strong-arming him into it. Hachiman wasn't going to get anything out of it but what were they expecting?
I'm working under the, admittedly lightly supported, assumption that Hayato has the hots for Yukisis (she does have a name that starts with Y, too), or at least thought he did, and is kind of sad that he's no longer interesting to her. So he's trying some Hachi-style, because that's what she seems to be into.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:27 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
I really like where the story is going with all the deep character interactions, but I really hate how Hayama always points out little nuances about characters without giving the audience a chance to find them out themselves. Like in episode 3, he just straight out said Haruno "smothers the things she loves, and destroys the things she hates". In episode 4, he mentioned how Iroha never shows her true self to people she doesn't care about. Those are information that have no context in the past few episodes, and probably won't be relevant for another few more episodes, so I see no point in him mentioning them at all and basically makes a show that is complicated seem really generic.

dtm42 wrote:
^
Yeah, I agree. It would have been nice to figure those things ourselves rather than have the series just tell us them matter-of-factly.

Yttrbio wrote:
Especially since the show is really good at "show, don't tell," the fact that it then follows up with the telling anyway is kind of a pain.

Well, isn't this the point of his character? He's the silent observer, analyzing other characters' behaviors and actions. All the characters are even pointing this out to an extent. Just in this recent episode, Haruno states that Hachiman just seems to understand everything. Then continues to point out that Hachiman tries to "read what's behind every word and action," and that he looks for the negative. He can't help but do so.

Hachiman would have much fewer lines/thoughts if he literally kept everything to himself.

This show can be pretty direct, just like how the episodes are titled.

Last edited by Asrialys on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:34 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure that's entirely right, though. Does Hachiman look for the negative, or is he only capable of seeing the negative?

That scene with spoiler[Iroha in the mall] is a perfect example: when she says spoiler["Senpai, what's wrong, are you fooling around?"] he could interpret her comments as genuine interest, or even as jealousy of the other girls... but he immediately assumes that she's asking why he's goofing off when he clearly has more important things to do (spoiler[for her]).

Hayama's comment about how Iroha shows her true colors in front of Hachiman - but not in front of Tobe - actually tells us a lot more about Hayama and Hachiman than it does about Iroha. Hayama thinks it's a good thing that Iroha shows her true self in front of Hachiman, but Hachiman can only interpret it as "she doesn't care what I think about her." It really drives home the differences between the two, especially in how they interact with women.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice review Nick. And huh, it didn't occur to me to look at the last couple of scenes through that angle: all of them being so scared of change that they simply ignored a choice that would have led to a happier future. I didn't think of the ex-president's plan as anything more than "yeah, that could have happened", but now I see how it plays in the overall conflict.

This show keeps surprising me. I thought that this episode also did a great job showing that Hachiman, despite what he may believe, has stillmanaged to form stable friendships with people that'll come to his aid when he needs it. Zaimokuza was specially a good bro right to the very end.

Also, Komachi best sister. 'nuff said.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Not enough Saika this season.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
Nice review Nick.

Second that. Spot on.
Quote:
Also, Komachi best sister. 'nuff said.

Kind of puts Kirino to shame doesn't it.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:06 am Reply with quote
Those hand movements & animation. Also, I can sense the potential of some of the members who attended that meeting of becoming fabulous Old Farts when they'll get older. ("We need to think logically with our Logical Thinking cap on"). Twisted Evil
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I wouldn't have been able to stand another heavy episode like the last 3. Seriously. The drama is excellent, but we NEED these types of episodes, with some Hachiman trying to solve a problem his own way and falling back on gag territory. Because honestly, as far as I enjoy the emotional parts, I still liked the humor of the first season. In other words, I don't really consider this a step down, just a different (and necessary) type of step.

Regarding Hikki's choice to do things by himself this episode, I don't thing he only has making the one action he took last episode stick as a goal. He mentions that it's only natural that he'd need to help Isshiki, seeing as he was the one who got her into the student council, but he also mentions that there's another person (Yukino) that he needs to help or mend things with as well.

I believe he noticed that Yukino wasn't happy with last episode's resolution. If so, then maybe he has a plan to make her at least a bit happier with how things are. Of course, I have no idea what his plan may be, but I'd like to think that he isn't acting solely to keep things as they are. And if I'm wrong, then I suppose it won't hurt (me, I mean. Hikki will keep shooting himself on the foot).

...also, those hand movements cracked me up. Seriously.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:12 pm Reply with quote
As Expected, My Student Interactions Are a Counterproductive Non-Starter that Is Struggling to Potentiate Maximum Logistical Synergy while Restructuring Vertical and Horizontal Relationship Hierarchies
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, I imagine that, after having knocked Yukino out of the student council president office she wanted, Hachiman felt that having her then deal with the problems of that office would be rather cruel. Addressing problems head-on is not something he's going to attempt.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one seems to have noticed what the high school council is actually *doing* to the middle school council: the high schoolers are all about making things "bigger" (thus making themselves bigger in the eyes of others), and all of the suggestions they have for doing so are then put to the middle school president, who just accepts them. The high school student council is dumping everything on the middle schoolers. This is why the *rest* of the middle school student council is unhappy with their president, as she has no backbone at all. Since Hatchiman has no real authority, he's basically trying to very carefully get the high schoolers to back off from their more exorbient ideas and doing so in such a way not to cause the high schoolers to get their hackles up (that's why he was trying to use their lingo). I thought the whole thing was very amusing, though thus far Hatchiman hasn't succeeded and it's questionable how long it will be before the middle school student council fragments entirely -- it's probably only a sense of "duty" that is keeping most of them going right now.

I think Hatchiman is actually trying to explore different ways to solve problems. Unlike what the reviewer said, I don't think he's going backwards at all. If that were the case, he would've already concocted a scheme in which he would make both student councils unite in hating him and somehow come to some sort of consensus on the event. Instead, while he hasn't been successful yet, he's actually trying to understand the positions involved and work out a solution that doesn't result in the middle schoolers getting buried.

My guess is that this is a sort of trial run before turning his attention to repairing matters with Yukino, and I think Hatchiman *is*, in fact, changing in a positive manner, though I imagine the road ahead will continue to be a rocky one.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I thought the main characters are high school students, too.

I haven't seen anyone mention the stickers on the club door sign, by the way. It's one of those maybe-too-obvious commentaries about how things have stagnated.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

I haven't seen anyone mention the stickers on the club door sign, by the way. It's one of those maybe-too-obvious commentaries about how things have stagnated.

They are in high school, which is why I'm confused as to why some people are calling them middle schoolers.

But yeah, I noticed the stickers, and the thought that they hadn't changed at all crossed my mind, but I didn't properly connect it to anything until you mentioned it.
Goober2049

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:58 pm Reply with quote
http://puu.sh/hGQ9G/fbde00efcd.jpg

So much talking without anything actually getting done and then dumping all of it (whatever "it" is) on someone else. Those kids from the other high school would make excellent politicians.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:

You're right. They are. Somehow I got it into my head that they weren't, probably because they're being so passive. So, yeah, my bad: both sets are high school students.

Goober2049 wrote:
http://puu.sh/hGQ9G/fbde00efcd.jpg

So much talking without anything actually getting done and then dumping all of it (whatever "it" is) on someone else. Those kids from the other high school would make excellent politicians.

"It" are the various ideas that the other high school is coming up with. Notice how every time an idea is put forward by the other high school, that high school president asks Hatchi's high school president what she thinks about it, and each time she passively says she's fine with it, and the other high school president then tells her that Hatchi's high school student council can handle the details for it, which leads to the other council members looking sullen and disgruntled. Essentially, she has no backbone and the rest of the student council is stuck with the results.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8