• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Charlotte (TV 2015).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
@Dusky: Judging by the look on her face, she knew.

I don't really like the sister's speech pattern, but I do like the effect she has on her brother. It makes him more three dimensional and a shift in his character and actual development of it more believable.

I rather like this show. I have a strange liking to bastard protagonists, I just love it when they either succeed or fail in their attempts. I must be evil myself. Of course, that was just the hook that led me into watching this. Student council girl is a good character as well, not fitting in a tsundere or other character type, but with a background that makes it easy to understand why she doesn't trust people that easily. Her mother spoiler[betrayed her, of all people - and it may look to Nao like it was just for money] reasons (and maybe it is). Judging by what they did to spoiler[her brother, it's not really a stretch that he'd be psychotic by now].

I find it a bit strange though that the backgrounds are far prettier than the character designs themselves. But that's no biggie for me.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
Getting to know his new environment.
There seem to be all kinds of weird powers.
New mission presented itself.
It was fun watching them in action ^^
Those three make a good team.
Nao's life story was interesting, but also kinda sad too.
Very good episode!
Ringking

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:46 am Reply with quote
Calling it now, 'Charlotte' is the name of the long-orbit comet.

So far, with the exception of the main character being an ass, this show is pretty by the numbers both for Key and for P.A Works, which as far as I'm concerned is a good thing since I love both.

Nao is...interesting, cant say I like her much as a character yet, but defo interesting. She goes through these long periods of deadpan delivery and then gets jumpy and excited about random things, as well as doing weird stuff like hopping across the ground while crouched. She actually kinda reminds me of an aspie I know, though I doubt that was the intent of it.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:30 am Reply with quote
Haha, we got some good main characters this season. Really love this show so far, pacing is good and animation isn't lacking at all. Art is beautiful as is always with P.A. Works. Also, that shot of the club room, was that CGI? Really nice work.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering what criteria they use to determine whether a person should simply be quieted or forcibly brought in to the school.

I'd guess that it had to do mostly with how cooperative a person is apt to be, except that they didn't seem to have any particular intel on the 2nd episode's target either way. So, it would seem their amount of foreknowledge on Yuu is a special case, which almost surely ties in to Yuu's missing family member backstory.

That still leaves the question of how the question is normally answered. Is Nao just making snap decisions?

Ringking wrote:
Calling it now, 'Charlotte' is the name of the long-orbit comet.

The only other thing I could even imagine it being is the name or code name of this "trusted person" of Nao's, but the comet is a far better guess.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

Maeda has the right to create any world he wants. It's ignorant to accuse him of "having his head up his ass" just because you don't like his idea. What's so wrong with what he does anyway?

Consider everything wrong with Kanade's eventual backstory from Angel Beats, which is used to justify that entire series, except this time double it because this he did it to the main character in the first episode who ends up feeling a little disjointed.

He's fine when he sticks to using a hint of fantasy in otherwise realistic worlds, things you would not notice or get buried under the hectic everyday life but with Angels Beats, Little Busters! and now Charlotte, you get themes like "Death!" in a world you can talk about it- to what point beyond theatrical drama I could never figure out or "Friendship!" and a whole world built around it-among character traits rather than characters and now "Superpowers!"- with zero introspection from the main character; He doesn't wonder about other people, doesn't think about its implications to society at all or even if he's the only one with superhuman abilities. No wondering, no questioning, it's there and he'll use it because... we got to have a first episode.

It creates a hedonistic individual who thinks others are beneath him. Fine except he's so petty that when he does something really wrong, he doesn't come off as a bastard but a small minded god with no empathy. I'd honestly find him more likeable if he jumped into people to force them to commit suicide because that would at least explain the "I'm so much better than you" attitude." He's a cheater and they feel that way without the superpowers.

"But his sister loves him so he can't be all bad."; I think that was the point of those segments but apart from the attempted murder, he wasn't bad enough for that to mean anything. World then character then justification as it worked in the Kyoto Animation Key shows. Angel Beats and Little Busters! tacked the world on the end as last development step; It's so paper thin, its sad but Charlotte is so bad it started with the justification and ended with the main "character"... and left the world out. Ah.

Oh crap, a thought occurred; There's going to be some sort of twist here explaining the dreamlike inconsistencies?

Hey, remember when Maeda just used to tell a story that his audience played rather than played the audience? I guess I'll watch just to see if he can do anything as stupid as that broken heart "metaphor" from Angel Beats.

Update, I just watched episode 2... I didn't count on the show getting this bad, this quickly. From PA Works patting themselves on the back for their sea cove background to the "scientists" plan to manipulate "radio waves" to Nao's brother whose scene was the only one to make me laugh. I know, wrong reaction but after Angel Beats, it's just too funny, the feathers and music and "remember that show so many people liked?"

So, good thing the "scientists" can give up once the "good guys" got them? No, of course, this also corresponds to the mysterious benefactor who may well be be Mr. Maeda at this point for all the "plot coupons" he's passing out. This is surpassing my own expectations of how much stupidity I'd get.

And again, it's not teleportation. Also, if you can make... Polaroids, really?... of scantily clad women, why not just make them completely nude? And if Nao can only make herself invisible to one person, how come no one else on the archery team mentioned the girl with the camera?
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Only seen the first episode. All I can say is, spoiler[Key Coffee]. Laughing

Also, Ayu is really, really cute, but liable to get annoying without moderation. I hope she's not too frequent a character.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Damn, this episode went fast. It's probably because of the drama that went on with the introduction of Yusa. I like her other personality more though - much more aggressive Razz

And anyways, this episode introduced more abilities. Yu isn't much of the spotlight this week though. Rather, I think Nao took a decent role to get things done.

Nice episode with a fitting ED song (although I think it's probably just for this week only)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Maaya Uchida does have nice voice (both in speaking and singing)

Here's a video clip sample of the latest ending song =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyFEThVBMW4
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I usually don't like idols or idol otaku, but Sonic was pretty fun this episode. Nao's got that smug and asshole-y speech and expressions really nailed down, too.
pinoyfreestyler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
Nao's got that smug and asshole-y speech and expressions really nailed down, too.

Does Ayane Sakura tend to be a voice to such character personalities aka the girl that sounds snobbish? (like in Tokyo Ravens)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

I was kinda hoping we'd get to keep Misa's friends around, even without powers. They're the only characters I genuinely like so far. But they have nice designs, so maybe that's a sign they'll show up again anyway.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:41 am Reply with quote
An individual with two abilities?
Channeling and pyrokinesis.
Interesting and challenging.
Looks like another addition to the special school.
Yusarin & a multiple personality disorder..
She sure is one scary girl!
Interesting episode.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
I like Nao in this episode, she reminded me of Yuri from Angel Beats in some of her best moments. The two characters indeed hold similarities as the leader of the group who not just smart but can be scary, and cunning.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Poor Yuu is starting to feel like a supporting character. Especially so with Nao stealing every scene she's involved in. Now he'll have to compete with Misa as well.

I assume the power of Misa's ability is going to be kept in check by maintaining a relatively low violence level, which is almost a shame. I wonder if her little sister is going to have any value of her own besides being a vessel for show's only directly powerful main character.

Easily my favorite opening of the season, though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 16